FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona LHe, MASSIVE video drift!

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
MyrddynX
Kona LHe, MASSIVE video drift!
on Oct 10, 2007 at 9:09:24 pm

Hello All!

This is my first post to the forums, but I have encountered a strange issue, and was wondering if this community might be able to offer some insight.

Suddenly, on Monday morning, one of our FCP stations started to 'drift'. The analogue video output (composite AND component) would play back in what appeared to be slow-mo. The audio played back at the proper rate, and the video seemed to get slower and slower the longer it was played. After 20 seconds of playback, the video would be a good 5 seconds behind the audio. I checked everything I could think of, and all settings and connections seemed correct / unchanged.

The solution (work-around) that I figured out involved routing the audio output of FCP through the Mac's Line-out, rather than through the Kona card. As soon as the audio is routed out the Mac, it runs perfectly, if I route the audio back out the Kona card, the drift appears immediately. It's almost as if the card 'can't handle' the effort of playing both audio and video.

FCP session timeline is DV, and there are 6 channels of audio.

The work-around seems to be fine, and the editor is able to work just with no problems, but it seems strange that routing the audio through the Kona card would upset the video playback.

Note: The preview window in FCP does not drift, only the analogue video output. I didn't have and SDI monitor available to test if the digital video was affected the same way!

Any thoughts? Hints? Tips? This one's an odd one!

Thanks

Mark Pinder, Chief Technical Engineer, Paperny Films.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: Kona LHe, MASSIVE video drift!
on Oct 11, 2007 at 5:02:59 am

Got your PCIe Expansion Slot Utility setup proper?

Easy setup proper?

Latest drivers for your version of FCP?

Return to posts index

szumlins
on Oct 17, 2007 at 2:21:24 am

[JeremyG] "Got your PCIe Expansion Slot Utility setup proper?
"

Check this. Power loss of PRAM reset can unset this. If it isn't in a 4x lane slot, you'll get what you described.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 12, 2007 at 3:06:47 am

I had a somewhat similar issue once that was cured by simply unistalling the Kona drivers and then reinstalling.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

freddy_j
on Oct 22, 2007 at 11:29:22 am

I'm relieved that someone else has the same video drift issue!
My preview monitor is connected to the SDI out of the AJA kona.

I'm all thumbs when it comes to hardware. where do I check this "PCIe Expansion Slot Utility setup"?

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Oct 22, 2007 at 1:50:05 pm

HardDrive > System > Library > CoreServices > Expansion Slot Utility.app

Run it and choose option 2. Then restart.

Return to posts index

freddy_j
on Oct 24, 2007 at 6:13:00 am

Thanks Jeremy.
My world is good again.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Oct 24, 2007 at 1:52:31 pm

No worries. Glad you are up and running!

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Thoren Lowe
on Feb 28, 2011 at 9:09:41 am

I know this has been solved but I had a similar problem with a newer mac (the new macs don't have the expansion slot utility, or they do and it's disabled)

I had a Kona LHe showing the same problem. In this case I had to change the PCIe slot from 4 to 2... this seems to have solved the problem.

Return to posts index

Bob Pierce
on Jan 20, 2012 at 5:18:26 pm

Hi Guys,
I know this is an ancient thread, but I've just started having this problem after upgrading to Snow Leopard. I'm working on pro res 1080p30 material and find if I change the video playback (in a/v settings) to Kona 8 bit (from the default 10 bit) it comes back in sync.

If anyone has a solution to this problem I'd love to hear it. A long chat with Aja tech support didn't resolve it.
Thanks!
Bob PIerce

Director of Photography • Editor
http://www.lightstreamassociates.com

Return to posts index

Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
on Apr 10, 2012 at 5:00:37 am

Have the same issue - anyone else get this resolved?

Return to posts index

Bob Pierce
on Apr 12, 2012 at 12:50:10 pm

The solution for me was to change the output (in audio visual settings) to Kona 8 bit, rather than the 10 bit as used by the default Kona easy setup. This solves the problem for me, and as far as I can tell has no negative effect on image quality. I created custom easy setups so I don't have to change it every time I change the setup. Hope this helps.
Bob

Director of Photography • Editor
http://www.lightstreamassociates.com

Return to posts index

Scott Elliott
on Oct 27, 2012 at 12:43:05 am

Hey all,

I know this is a few months on, but if anyone else is having this problem on newer Mac Pros (post expansion slot utility), the Kona LHe MUST be in either PCIe slot 1 or 2.

I was having seriously annoying sync and drift issues after getting a new Mac Pro* and realized I had installed the card in slot 3. Once I swapped it into slot 2, everything is running perfectly.

I was worried that Mountain Lion killed the Kona LHe or FCP 7.03, but everything is running smooth as butter (except for banding on my 23 in cinema display, but I don't really care cause my Flanders Scientific LM-1760W looks so beautiful it hurts..)

Scott
http://www.590films.org
http://www.faithinthefiveboroughs.org

*Mid 2012
Processor 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Memory 13 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB
Software OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]