FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT: LCD and Plasma white balance is really green

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
CharlieX
OT: LCD and Plasma white balance is really green
on Oct 9, 2007 at 4:10:46 pm

Anyone care to share experience?

We've got a new Sony Bravia LCD for the lounge and a Panny Pro Plamsa for a bay. Bravia being fed from AJA DVI converter and the Panny over component. Just eyeballing them in against my well calibrated BVM - finding they have a very greeny cast. Using the "warm" color profile, all contrast and brightness levels brought down to match CRT.

For instance, on the Panny WB screen I'm currently around 0, -18, -8, 0, -13, -13
definitely needs some tweaking still, this was a quick 30 minutes of fooling around, but this looks fairly close on a wide range of test pictures and colors.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: OT: LCD and Plasma white balance is really green
on Oct 10, 2007 at 1:18:51 am

Charlie -
if you think that you will color match the BVM with the Panny 2600 or the Sony Bravia, you are dreaming. Even if a miracle happens, the blacks will NEVER match the CRT monitor. Please remember that all of your HD clients don't own a CRT HD monitor, and you will be color correcting for an image that they will never see (they own cheap LCD and Plasma screens - I no longer see the point in trying to align HD images to a CRT Phosphor).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

CharlieX
on Oct 10, 2007 at 4:28:10 pm

I know what you're getting at Bob, but I'm sorry, I can't agree with you as far as my studio goes.

All our video get transferred from film with a Sony BVM as critical reference at the telecine house. When we get back to our studio I know *my* BVM will match the telecine house within very small tolerances. My clients see exactly what they paid $1200/hour for at the telecine facility.

But they don't want to crowd my desk, they want to sit on the couch and see their spot on the big client monitor. So I owe it to my clients to match our plasma and LCD's as close as possible to our BVM. Otherwise they'll sit in the back of the room and wonder why the client monitor is *completely* different looking that the tube. It makes them nervous that 1) they made bad choices in telecine 2) that you don't know what you're doing. You can chatter their ears off about vectorscopes and waveforms, and that they "really shouldn't judge what you're doing by the client monitor (so what's the point of a client monitor) , but I prefer having things match close enough that they can just relax while I finish their product. YES it'll be a couple clicks off, but it's much easier to explain to them that a plasma will never be a perfect match as long as it's as close as possible to CRT - not 9500K, contrast blasting, blacks uber crushed.... You've got to have SOME point of reference that you consider the gold standard.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 10, 2007 at 9:09:05 pm

Charlie -
I hope you realize that unless you go with the insanely high priced eCinema display (I haven't even seen the new one, I am just making conversation here) - there is NOTHING you can do to critically match a Plamsa or CRT to a Sony BVM.

We will look back on this in 3-4 years, and laugh about it, but for 2007, this is what you get.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

CharlieX
on Oct 11, 2007 at 4:22:48 pm

I think everyone in the Kona room knows better. I never said critical matching. These are client monitors in the back of the room. But you CAN get them dialed in really close to the BVM - enough that you can feel comfortable showing clients footage on the plasma without them freaking out that the red in their company logo is purple.

I really was just wondering if other people were surprised by the pronounced green cast in the white balance on these monitors.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Oct 11, 2007 at 7:07:08 pm

Do you have a ProPlasma?

Return to posts index

CharlieX
on Oct 11, 2007 at 10:42:02 pm

Yup, the 37" 720p. Being fed component at the moment, though the SDI board had been ordered.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Oct 11, 2007 at 11:55:42 pm

[CharlieX] "I really was just wondering if other people were surprised by the pronounced green cast in the white balance on these monitors."

I don't see any sort of green cast on my Panny Pro plasmas. If anything they're a bit red. I really had to pull out the reds on the advanced color settings.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Broadcast and independent productions.

All Things Apple Podcast! http://cowcast.creativecow.net/all_things_apple/index.html

Read my blog! http://blogs.creativecow.net/WalterBiscardi

Return to posts index

CharlieX
on Oct 12, 2007 at 3:39:43 pm

It's definitely something that took me by surprise. I'm going to wheel in a different BVM this weekend and triple check, and hope my Sony color probe hasn't gone the way of the dodo.

Return to posts index

Tom Brooks
on Oct 13, 2007 at 1:17:35 pm

I do not have the critical needs for my TH37PH9UK that CharlieX has--what with the telecine and all. But I'd like to do what I can to match the Sony CRT monitors that I have.

Is there any value to using one of those consumer oriented Avia calibration disks or similar or is that just a pipe dream?

Return to posts index

CharlieX
on Oct 17, 2007 at 4:09:43 pm

I'm just eyeballing them in.

And it's definitely green on that plasma. I've checked it now against 2 CRTS and a Sony Luma HD monitor that was just factory calibrated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]