FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cabeling and equipment for basic HD setup

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Multiple Words
Cabeling and equipment for basic HD setup
on Oct 9, 2007 at 4:47:48 am

Bob and others, first thanks for all the great information in these forums and in the magazine.

I'm building a FCP edit/color suite around a Kona 3 card and HD-SDI/SDI connectivity. I'm wanting to start a machine room for easy growth, but my current needs are limited.

The plan is to have everything in place with an empty shelf for the rented deck of the day's need. So my question is, what is the "everything" I need?

In the machine room, I'll have my Mac, Kona 3, a GEN10 box, and a place for a deck. I'm thinking I might should go ahead and start a patch board to facilitate bringing in other decks and/or routing the signals to other monitors (ie client's) in the future.

DVI for the monitors, SDI for the video monitor, audio cables, and USB will be running to my desk in the suite.

What am I missing? Are there any diagrams available that have a similar setup. Even for a small setup, the cabling can get complicated fast. (If I'm encroaching on what should be a paid service, please let me know.)

Thanks,
Parke

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Cabeling and equipment for basic HD setup
on Oct 10, 2007 at 1:28:30 am

there is no point in building a machine room if you are not planning on having multiple rooms. It will just cost too much money. If you want a single system, you certainly can have a rack in your room ready to go for more VTR's, but all the cabling adds up real quick. A $200 rack doubles in price when you add all the rack shelves you will need.

This type of question is beyond the scope of this forum, but the basics (no matter what you own) will consist of a rack (Middle Atlantic or Raxxess), an AJA GEN10 with DWP power supply, some shelves for your VTR's (also Raxxess or Mid Atlantic), and audio, video and RS422 patch bays. All of this costs money, and you still need cables. This is very non glamourous (like the AJA I/O HD or a nice 50" Plasma), because clients are not impressed with a metal rack and some shelves. Once you have the patch bays in place, you bring up all your equipment to these bays, and just keep adding more and more equipment (and more and more cables).

If you have only the one system, I would advise you to not spend the money on the "machine room" at this point.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Multiple Words
Re: Cabeling and equipment for basic HD setup
on Oct 11, 2007 at 2:04:07 am

Thanks Bob. I appreciate the advice.

-Parke

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]