FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona LHe SD Monitoring

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
MrShankly
Kona LHe SD Monitoring
on Oct 6, 2007 at 7:06:22 am

Hello,

Looking to get a Kona LHe card for a documentary I'm editing shot on DVCProHD 720p. I however, do not currently have a budget for an HD monitor.

Just wondering how reasonable it is-- or if there are any major drawbacks to doing my content/rough cut using the Kona downconversion and monitoring the edit on my Sony SD monitor. I realize that I'll need an HD monitor for the final color correct but until then will the SD monitor suffice?

Just wondering if I am overlooking anything or if anyone has any real world experience doing this?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Kona LHe SD Monitoring
on Oct 6, 2007 at 5:10:05 pm

you certainly can do your rough cut with your Sony SD monitor, but I have very good news for you - you can use the wonderful Dell 2407WFP 24" LCD monitor as an HD monitor - hook up the Kona analog HD outputs to this monitor, and you will have full HD resolution. This monitor is about $600, which is about as cheap as you are going to find.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Nick Righton
on Oct 7, 2007 at 5:42:12 am

I second Bob's idea. There are also other nice 24" monitors out there. I use an LG and BenQ makes a nice one as well. The key is to make sure it has component video input so it can display the YUV color space and resolution from the Kona analog video output.

Return to posts index

MrShankly
on Oct 7, 2007 at 11:10:06 pm

Sounds like a good idea.

Thanks for the info guys!

Return to posts index

Itamar Kool
on Oct 8, 2007 at 11:27:42 am

Hi Bob,
I bought that monitor but I didn't trust it enough to be a good reference monitor for color correstion. Am I wrong??

Kool En De Anderen
MAC Pro/Kona LHe/Apple FCS 2/Adobe PPCS3/Huge fibrechannel
http://www.koolendeanderen.nl

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 8, 2007 at 4:32:50 pm

Itamar -
I believe I said that this was the CHEAPEST HD display I knew of - I dont' believe I ever said that this was an excellent display, or capable of doing hi end critical color correction projects.

SO, how do you purchase wonderful hi end HD equipment for absolutely no money - YOU DONT. You people don't understand that both AJA and Blackmagic are both crazy, and these are the ONLY two companies in the world that are "giving away" excellent equipment for very little money.
Everyone else charges a lot of money for Hi Def equipment. The Dell is an exception (and this product exists as a computer display, with a "convenience" jack to be able to play hi def DVD's - it works - but its not intended as a critical hi end HD monitor).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Itamar Kool
on Oct 8, 2007 at 4:41:52 pm

I understand what you are saying, but the question for me is whether the SD picture on my Sony PVM monitor is a better reference for low end color correction then the HD picture on my Dell.

Kool En De Anderen

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 8, 2007 at 4:53:23 pm

if you are doing HD color correction, you are better off using the DELL. The downconverted SD image on your SD CRT will not represent what your customers will see. No one at home has a glass CRT HD monitor (neither does any ad agency, conference room, board room, etc. - they all have LCD or Plasma), so your best representation for matching these colors will be on your LCD monitor. However, for all standard def jobs, the Dell is pretty useless, as it can barely display a viewable SD image.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Itamar Kool
on Oct 8, 2007 at 5:02:48 pm

Bob, although your answer is very clear, it makes things a little complicated. I do most of my jobs in HD these days. Only thing is, my clients usually see them in SD on their TV's, projections screens and computer monitors. If I understood you well, the big difference is between CRT and LCD

Kool En De Anderen

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 8, 2007 at 5:12:16 pm

you should have TWO monitors in your edit room - the hi def LCD and the downconverted SD signal on your CRT. The two will NEVER EVER EVER match, nor should you attempt to match them. Since you already own these products - you are good to go. If you had more money (to afford the 24" Panasonic or JVC), you would have the same problems with SD matching.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Itamar Kool
on Oct 8, 2007 at 5:23:59 pm

Thanks!!

Kool En De Anderen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved