FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sonnet tempo E4P and Fussion D500P

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Franco
Sonnet tempo E4P and Fussion D500P
on Sep 30, 2007 at 9:56:39 pm

Hi Guys

the D800 sounds great, unfortunately i still have the fusion D500P (which until now i've loved).

To get the details out of the way i have a Mac Pro with 5gig of ram, a kona LHe card and sonnet E4p with three Sonnet Fusion 500s filled with 500gig drives (Seagate baracuda). I also have 3 firewire drives, 2 raided and one daisy chained (i have disconnected these to eliminate any firewire issues) i also have 3 500gig drives internally 2 of which are raided together (softraid). Graphics card is ATI Radeon X1900.

Sonnet tempo e4p card in slot 4 (x4); AJA Kona in slot 3 (x8); Graphics card in slot 1 (x16); expansion slot utility is configured correctly.

I only have FCP studio 2 on my system.

I have just read a thread on this forum dated november 2006 hoping it would answer my problems but alas no.

I purchased the 2 sonnet Fusion D500P and E4p cards about 16months ago and have never had a problem - i filled them with 10 drives and raided them Zero.

Admittedly they have always been on my powermacG5 Quad but 2-3 months ago i moved them over to my mac Pro due to the ProRes 422 issue on the powermac.

i had just completed something for channel 4 in the UK and on the very next job i started to have problems. i couln't play back DVCPROHD which was strange as the job before was 10bit uncompressed SD and that was fine.

my raid must have been fragmented so i brought a third D500P, emptied the raid, broke the raid set-up and reinitialized.

When i did the aja system test for Pal, the write speeds fluctuated from 450 Megabites per second down to 19 Megabites per second which is crazy on an empty 4.5 Terabite raid. When i tested HD 1920 X 1080 i got a good throughput at around 260-460 meg per second.

ive tried the raid at a block size of 128K and at 32K with no luck. i've had one of the blue lights on one of the units go out and has been out for some time, so i swapped the drives around, but the light is still off. i've removed the drives and tested each one of them and they are fine.

i've split the raid into two raids one for each encasment and they both have the same problem on the smaller file sizes - they have massive fluctuations. On the larger files they are fine-ish but start off quite slow and occasionally the speed drops to 19meg per second or less.

i have played back and downconverted HD into SD onto a digi deck no problem but now even pal or 10bit SD will drop frames.

thank for your suggestions in advance.

Nick

Nick
http://www.1185films.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Sonnet tempo E4P and Fussion D500P
on Oct 1, 2007 at 12:31:43 am

Hi Nick -
your post has a lot of information in it, and it is confusing to me (even though you probabaly specified the answers to the questions I am going to ask).

I use these exact products all the time, as well as RAID 0 arrays from Cal Digit and Firmtek, so I am well acquanted with all the issues that these products have (even when all of these companies will tell you that you are the only one having these problems).

1) you are crazy for striping 10 drives together RAID 0. You are just begging for trouble. There is NO REASON TO DO THIS unless you are doing 10 bit uncompressed HD (and I believe that you are doing uncompressed SD and DVCProHD). You should be using these arrays as SEPERATE VOLUMES - which means that you should have one 5 bay box as one RAID 0 drive array, and the other 5 bay box as another RAID 0 drive array. DO NOT STRIPE ACROSS THE TWO BOXES FOR 10 DRIVES RAID 0 !. This is great for doing demonstrations to show off, but things never work out too well in the long term (as you have seen). Again, 5 drives will be MORE than enough for DVCProHD, uncompressed 10 bit SD, ProRes422, AVID DNxHD - basically everything except uncompressed HD.

2) once you have the boxes seperated, do a nice boring AJA Kona System test on each box. Depending on your block size (lets say you use the default of 32K), you should get 172mb/sec - 180mb/sec. If you get more (over 200mb/sec), then you are lucky, and it's your drive type (or your block size which you moved to 128k). If its SLOWER than 170mb/sec, you have a bad drive. Test each drive one at a time - each drive should give you over 65mb/sec (test your boot drive as a good example of this in your MAC).

3) OK, so assuming that your drives are all testing ok, and that you have about 180mb/sec in the 5 drive RAID 0 box with a 32k block size, start digiting your DVCProHD or 10 bit uncompressed SD. Everything should be working just fine.
If it's not - DISCONNECT ALL THE OTHER DRIVES ON YOUR SYSTEM, because something else is loading it down. Do you have any cards in slot 2 (like a slow firewire card). Because if you have no other drives on your system other than the one RAID 0 5 bay Sonnet, and you can get 180mb/sec, then LET ME ASSURE YOU that you can do DVCProHD and 10 bit uncompressed SD all day long.

4) you now say "I disconnected all my other drives, and I am trying to digitize DVCProHD, and I am STILL getting dropped frames, even though AJA Kona System test reports 175mb/sec on read and write". The answer is YOUR CURRENT FCP PROJECT IS CORRUPT. Simply close this project, open up a new project, and try it again (with no other drives on the system). It will work just fine.

OTHER COMMENTS -
your blue LED light - this may simply be a dead LED in the chassis. It also can indicate a dead disk drive, but if you had a dead disk drive, your entire RAID 0 array would not show up on your MAC desktop.

I will not bore you with other potential problems with port multipler chassis, because you are apparantly re-initializing these arrays (you said you tried 128k and 32k block sizes in the options folder - which means that you had to recreate the RAID 0 to get this ability) -

SO, try what I said, and let me know your results. The Sonnet E4P and 500P are fine products, but like other port multipler products that are reliant on the Silicon Image 3124 chipset, there are known issues with all the manufacturers.

Let me know your results.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Nick Franco
on Oct 1, 2007 at 8:25:33 am

Hi Bob

thanks for your reply.

Ok i do use 10 bit uncompressed HD for certain projects (high end compositing) and the sytem has been working fine for the last 16 months and always with the 10 HDD raided at Zero. I break up the raids regularly and try and fill them up then take off what i need and then delet the raid and start again so as not to fragment the drives.

i have split the 10 drive raid into 2 5drive raids one for each enclosure. the read write speads you have mentiond are a little lower than i get but that is not the issue.

the problem i'm having is that on the smaller file type dv pal (and this is on the 5 drive raid as well) even though i get an average of 220meg per second it does drop on the graph and text (aja system test) down to as little as 10meg per second and this is whats causing my problem. even on 10 bit Sd i have the same problem.

i have checked all the hard drives and they seem ok i have removed my internal raid which was in bay 3 and 4 incase it was affecting the performance and i've removed my media drive in bay 2, but still no joy.

at the moment i have only my aja kona lhe card my sonnet tempo e4p card my Ati radeon X1900 card and my system drive conected to the Mac

any thoughts?

Nick

Nick

Return to posts index

Nick Franco
on Oct 1, 2007 at 8:33:30 am

Hi Bob

also i forgot to mention i have NO Card in slot two. i hope i've given you enough info i've. if my responce was brief it's becaus i had deleted a the internal raid withdata on it by accident, fortunatly i have the material backed up on tape but it scared the hell out of me.

Nick

Nick

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 1, 2007 at 11:49:16 am

Nick writes -
i have split the 10 drive raid into 2 5drive raids one for each enclosure. the read write speads you have mentiond are a little lower than i get but that is not the issue

REPLY -
good. We can work with TWO DIFFERENT chassis. I assume that you have the correct driver software from Sonnet loaded into your MAC Pro, that you have downloaded from their website, and not used the CD that came with your E4P.

I am going to ASSUME that just one of these 2 chassis is not working - am I correct about this ? One chassis should be able to do 10 bit uncompressed SD (and DV) with no issues - am I correct about this ? If this is true, then your other chassis has ONE DEAD DRIVE in it, or you have an intermittent slot in that chassis (possibly the one with the bad LED - I am guessing here). You can do uncompressed 8 bit SDI with one single SATA drive, so I suggest that in your "bad chassis", you test EACH DRIVE ONE AT A TIME by digitizing 8 bit uncompressed. Hopefully, one of these drives will fail. You only need 2 drives stripped RAID 0 to do 10 bit uncompresssed SD or DVCProHD, so if this is an intermittent problem, you can stripe 2 of the drives RAID 0, and stripe the other 3 drives RAID 0, and hopefully, you can go back to work, and see which one of these 2 groups fails (drop frame error) - this will help track down the faulty SATA drive.

The more details you post, the quicker we can identify this problem. From back in the SCSI days, identifying faulty disk drives has always been a headache - especially when they are partially dead or dying. I have found that even using Seagates and Hitachi's exerciser software can still show a drive working fine, and IT STILL FAILS in real life application. You need to continue doing these tests, and reporting back what you find. We will find the problem.

AGAIN, I ASSUME that only one of these two 500P chassis is showing this problem.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Nick Franco
on Oct 1, 2007 at 1:14:34 pm

Thanks Bob

I'll try your suggestion and report back. i have orderd a new sonnet E4P card just incase and i can always use it in my other setup if the card is ok

Nick

Nick

Return to posts index

nick Franco
on Oct 1, 2007 at 4:35:48 pm

Hi Bob

further to your reply ealier. i have now gone through every single drive and tested them again. i've had varing speads throughoutfrom 49MB/s to 71MB/s

i have not been able to test the 10bit uncompressed as i have nothing to play out to and thats when the problem usualy happens. however my next task is to try a FCP prject and see what happens.

i did buy a new Fusion D500P and i put the raid set into it and it works much better i put the raid set in the old enclosure 1 and and old enclosure 2 and they both as bad as each other. i will test them again using different ports on the E4P card and do the tests you have recomended.

just thought i'd fill you in on whats happening i'll keep you posted

thanks

Nick

Nick

Return to posts index

nick Franco
on Oct 1, 2007 at 4:51:59 pm

Hi Bob

ok i think i know what the problem is.

i've just connected the raid set to the last port on the E4P card and only 3 of the drives showed the blue light and the raid was off line. only one disk showed up in disk utility.

i then swapped the cable back to where it was originaly and the raid came on line again.

sounds like it's the E4p Card?

would that be logical?

Nick

Nick

Return to posts index

szumlins
on Oct 1, 2007 at 5:22:31 pm

Potentially. Or the cable. Try all 4 ports first. In reality the port multiplier handles the distribution of signal, so it seems odd that one port on the card showed 3 drives and another showed 5. If the port were bad it should be all or none. Possibly two of your drives are starting to die and that they had not spun up yet by the time you plugged it into the 4th port.

Try all 4 ports with the "problem" enclosure, report back.

Return to posts index

nick Franco
on Oct 1, 2007 at 5:46:40 pm

Hi Bob

i've tried all 4 ports with the enclosure and they all work, which is strange as when i tried it the 1st time the 4th port didin't work.

i have a new sata cable i can try. i'll give it a go

Nick

Nick

Return to posts index

szumlins
on Oct 1, 2007 at 6:25:17 pm

[nick Franco] "Hi Bob
"

I'm not bob.

Return to posts index

nick Franco
on Oct 1, 2007 at 7:00:33 pm

i'm sorry szumlins

i've been having a really bad week and the worst it get the mor iratic my typing and reading. please forgive me. i really appreciat the help

Nick

Nick

Return to posts index

szumlins
on Oct 1, 2007 at 7:06:43 pm

[nick Franco] "i've been having a really bad week and the worst it get the mor iratic my typing and reading. please forgive me. i really appreciat the help
"

Its okay, I'll still help you.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 1, 2007 at 7:22:19 pm

after all this typing, you did not report back what I asked for.

I would like to to test Sonnet drive array "A". Does it work, or does it not work (drop frame errors). I would like you to then test drive array "B". Does it work, or does it not work ? Because I am not waiting for your answer - do BOTH not work, do both WORK, does one work, and does one not work ? Simple questions - but you must answer. If you can't tell me what is and what is not working, no one can help you. I saw your post on the drive speeds.

I know that you are anxious (as I get when I diagnose problems), and that you are swapping that cable around, and the lights are not always coming on. As has just been pointed out to you, you must let the drives spin up, and sometimes must REBOOT for the system to recognize the drives.
All of this takes time and patience.

I await your reply.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 1, 2007 at 7:54:32 pm

Nick !!!
I reread these posts. You moved your E4P card from the MAC Quad to the MAC Pro. Did you set your Expansion Slot Utility tool correctly !!!!!!!!! Slot 3 and Slot 4 (the slots where your Kona and your E4P card are) MUST BE SET AS x4 LANE SLOTS. If you did not, and your E4P card is in a x1 Lane slot, this will ABSOLUTELY be causing problems. When you install a card, the Apple Expansion Slot utility comes up automatically. If you don't know how to bring this up, let me know, and I will tell you where to go to open this utility.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

nick Franco
on Oct 2, 2007 at 6:46:51 am

Hi Bob
sorry i did't get back to you last night had to sleep i'm in the UK

Sonnet tempo e4p card in slot 4 (x4); AJA Kona in slot 3 (x4x8); Graphics card in slot 1 (x16); expansion slot utility is configured correctly.

I'm just about to try your raid configurations and i will get back to you with the results. at pressent they 5 drives raded together in enclosure a doesn't play bach DVCPRO HD footage.

thanks

Nick

Nick

Return to posts index

Nick Franco
on Oct 2, 2007 at 10:04:24 am

Hi Bob

ok i think i've done what you have asked with some strainge results.

to recap

you asked me to rad two drives and then the remaining three in Enclosure A then to do the same in enclosure B

i have now done this and am able to play back DVCPRO HD and 10 bit Uncompressed SD on all of them.

however i also raided 5 drives together in encasment A and run an old project on DVCPRO HD 720p24 and it dropped frames i took the same raid set and put it in enclosure B and the project played back fine.

i then put the raid set back into enclosure A and the project played back fine when previously it didn't

this is starting to drive me crazy

i'll have a new E4P card in the next couple of hours and i'll try that i will also have a deck tomorrow so i'll try and edit to tape (where the problem usualy happens.

i hope i've followed you instructions properly

Nick

Nick

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 2, 2007 at 12:12:11 pm

Nick -
there is an old expression. If you keep playing with something, you will eventually break it.

SO ONE MORE TIME. Lets start with box A. RAID 2 of the drives, and do tests. If it works, leave it alone. Raid 3 of the drives in Box A (same box). If it works leave it alone. Using Apple Disk Utility, delete your 2 raid groups, and raid all 5 drives together. Do the tests again - does it work ? If it works, leave it alone. Don't touch it anymore.

If it doesn't work, there is a problem with either one of the drives or the box itself.

What I suspect is going on, is that you are popping in drives in and out, with power on, and the RAID's are not mounting. After every combo you should REBOOT your MAC. I know that it SHOULD mount, but it sometimes doesn't.

The problem will not be the E4P card. You either have a bad chassis or a defective intermittent disk drive. One bad connector in the 500P chassis can cause this problem as well, but it may be intermittent.

From your description, you have something bad going on in Sonnet Chassis A, where it looks like Chassis B is always ok (is this correct ? ). If this is correct, leave chassis B alone, and do tests with just A, by trying one or 2 drives at a time. You will soon find out if it's a bad slot or a bad drive.

You have spent DAYS on this by now. If you just work methodically, and don't rush, you will find your problem, instead of panicing.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Sonnet tempo E4P - results ?
on Oct 4, 2007 at 2:01:52 pm

Hi Nick -
I would love to hear your results. I just got called by a client that has a Sonnet 500P chassis, where one light did not come on. Without all the hoopla, I had the luxury of swapping out the chassis (same drives, no data lost), and everything started to work instantly. I am awaiting another PCI-X card so I can test out this "defective chassis" to see if it in fact a bad slot, or just "one of those things".

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Nick Franco
on Oct 4, 2007 at 10:30:03 pm

Hi bob

thank you so much for you support. i've had a horriffic couple of weeks. i did as you asked and eventualy i found one of the drives had gone. eventualy the SMART test failed. the aja system test resulsts are still not favourable, so i suspect that there is an other drive on it's way out. Sonnet have been great they have offered to replace bothe encasments.

i have not taken them up on there offer as i'm still not sure that it'e the actual encasements are at fault. i am not the most patient person to do this type of thing and unfortunatly i cant find anyone like you in the uk that can resoleve this kind of thing or i would have paid them to fix it a week ago.

it's really difficult here as the company's i deal with only support hardare fibre raids and my budget is tight to say the least. if it wasn't for people like you i woyuld have thrown my hole system out of the window years ago and i'd have got an office clerks job.

it is still possible that there is a defective encasment so i may still try to get them swapped over.

thanks again for your help.

Nick

Nick

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 4, 2007 at 11:33:40 pm

Hi -
Let Sonnet get you at least ONE NEW CHASSIS, so you don't drive yourself crazy (remember the one chassis with the one LED that did not come on). When you have a dying drive, and a potentially bad chassis, you can drive yourself crazy trying to identify where the problem can be. When you have no
spare parts to test out equipment, it can be impossible to troubleshoot.

When you say "the company I deal with only supports hardware fibre raids" - this sounds to me that if they cant charge a lot of money, they don't want to help. Anyone qualified to install and diagnose a hardware fibre channel RAID array can surely identify problems with the simple Sonnet 500P.

I'm here - keep me informed of what is happening. All of this is VERY RELAVANT to AJA Kona customers.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Kevin Wild
on Oct 5, 2007 at 5:07:05 am

I've mentioned this before, but we had about 3 bad chassis's from Sonnet this past year. We have 5 total...the first couple purchased last year have been fine. The ones we got this year ALL had to go back for repairs. 2 would just cut out on us and the disks would suddenly go offline. Then we had another with a faulty fan...nearly killed our drives before we literally smelled the heat coming out of the chassis. I wonder if there was some defects that were in a batch or something...

They now don't sell the chasis' separate. All of ours were purchased as empty, unpopulated. They now just sit around...we got an 10TB XRaid and MetaSAN and have LOVED it. GREAT setup.

Just my $.02. I know some people have had great experiences with these. We have with 2 of them. But in drive-land, where you need to count on things, 2 out of 5 isn't that great a record. :-)

Kevin

Return to posts index

Nick Franco
on Oct 5, 2007 at 5:44:41 am

Bob

i will take them up on their offer with the encasment and i'll get back to you with the results. i hate flying by the seat of my pants when a job comes in. it's not fun with deadlines.

the company i deal with are helpful and will take my calls, but i'm only a small fish in a big pond.

Kevin

thanks, i hear what you say about sonnet, i only wish i was in a position where i could justify the spend on an xsans, but i hear they come with their own inherent problems.

Thanks guys i'll keep you posted

Nick

Nick

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 6, 2007 at 1:41:58 pm

Hi Kevin -
well, this is your 2 cents. (It's amazing how a technical question turns into a debate like this). I put in countless SATA boxes from Sonnet, Cal Digit, and Firmtek. Sure I have seen problem boxes, but that is every product. Any of the newer RAID 5 SATA products that I have installed from Dulce and Cal Digit have not failed - but these are new products - who knows what will happen 2 years from now with them.

With that said, I have NEVER seen more drive array problems than with the Apple XServe RAID. Compared with any other Fibre Channel Array from Ciprico, Rorke, ProMax, etc., ALL are more reliable than the Apple XServe RAID. And when your Apple XServe RAID develops a problem, does Apple gladly send you replacement parts, like Ciprico, Rorke, ProMax, Cal Digit, Sonnet, Dulce and Firmtek will, or do they DRIVE YOU CRAZY and tell you to bring it to the mall, so you can have a Genius look at it (for 2 weeks). Of course, if you pay thousands for an Apple Enterprise Group support contract, then you can get better support from Apple.

There are people with Sonnet 500P chassis that NEVER have problems - but ALL PRODUCTS (even AJA cards - this is the AJA forum you know) - develop problems, especially ones with moving parts. Your post reminds me of people that used to say "I don't know, I buy AVID drives, and never have had a problem" - what kind of crap is this - AVID drives were either Seagate or Hitachi drives in a plastic box. Did AVID wave a magic wand over these drives. If you have an Apple XServe RAID, and keep it for several years, you will one day have a drive fail on you. This is not to blame Apple here - the Hitachi Deskstor drives eventually fail (and this is expected, and that is why the RAID 50 is teriffic on this product). But you may develop bizarre controller problems (launch RAID Admin right now - can you get in - you can't half the time, and have to power cycle the XServe RAID to get it to launch).

Please don't make it sound that if someone buys an Apple XServe RAID, that all their problems will be gone. This is simply not true.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Kevin Wild
on Oct 6, 2007 at 2:14:27 pm

No need to rant, Bob. If you take a breath and re-read my post, I think you'll see that I gave little opinion other than just telling my recent experiences. That is what these forums are good for...real world, user experiences. I just told mine. (Yes, this is the AJA forum, but I didn't start the thread.)

I did say that 2 of the 5 boxes we have, have worked great. 3 out of 5 had to go back for repair. You can form your own opinion on whether this is "acceptable" or not.

Yes, I have heard about XRaid problems. No, I'm not a green moron who thinks this is the holy grail of drives. I only stated the facts from our experiences...we have had no problems yet.

Sharing information is good. I was not starting any kind of silly debate.

Return to posts index

JR-Links
on Oct 7, 2007 at 2:45:19 am

[Kevin Wild] "They now don't sell the chasis' separate."

Well actually they do.
It's the Fusion D500P E-series.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/fusiond500p-eseries.html

This may be pertinent.
A friend of mine bought the original Fusion 500P 5-Bay last December.
He populated it with 5 Maxtor Maxline Pro 500GB Raid edition SATA2 drives.
This was configured as Raid 0 with SoftRaid.
The first problem he had appeared to be with one of the Bays.
The enclosure was replaced.
After using new firmware update, the Raid would mount (sometimes).
Running DiskTester would cause the raid to fail.
My friend blamed the problem on DIskTester.

In my search around the net I found an amended web page where Sonnet now stated that the enclosure was not rated to be used with 5 drives, only 4.
Hmmm.
On a hunch I looked up the power requirements for the Maxtors.
The total for the five was 150 watts at startup and 50 watts idle.
I contacted Sonnet support and got this reply:

"We started putting that sticker on the last batch of Fusion 500P's we shipped as we were noticing problems. Shortly after that, we beefed up the power supply, changed the product SKU and started shipping everything with drives in them."
(the new Fusion D500P E-series removes this restriction.)

The power supply in the original version was 80 watts.
Not nearly enough to safely run the 5 Maxtors at once.

The enclosure was replaced by Sonnet at no cost with the now standard 180 watt supply.

No more problems.

Return to posts index

Kevin Wild
on Oct 7, 2007 at 3:47:54 am

Wow, this would be big news and a bit odd to have a 5 drive enclosure that could only handle 4 drives. FWIW, I never got a sticker or warning and I've purchased 5 of these over the course of the past couple years.

My final thought is if they replaced the power supply when I sent back these past 3. It sure would give me more confidence if they truly knew what the problem was and fixed it. I didn't receive any word on a power supply change out when I received them back, though.

Thanks for posting!

Kevin

Return to posts index

JR-Links
Re: Sonnet Fusion D500P
on Oct 7, 2007 at 8:08:38 am

On july 7, 2007, the power supply issue was acknowledged to me personally by Sonnet.
My friend received his beefed up replacement Aug 21, 2007.

Note: the following relates only to the original case,
NOT the new Fusion D500P E-series.

The site with the warning sticker is still available advertising the old lower powered enclosure.
The top of the page promotes the $2,295.00 2.5 TB model (with 5 drives of course).
The rest of the page is all about the empty Fusion D500P,
(no longer being sold by Sonnet) which has been replaced by the Fusion D500P E-series.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Sonnet%20Technology/FUSD5P25TB/

The note at the bottom of the page states:

"Note: This enclosure has been
qualified for up to a 4-drive RAID
(not a 5-drive RAID), and only for
drives with capacity up to 500GB
(not 750GB and greater)."

Return to posts index

Nick Franco
on Oct 7, 2007 at 12:45:23 pm

Hi Guys

i'm overwhelmed with your interest and help on this topic. With regards to the sonnet tempo e4p and the enclosures i have 2 old D500P enclosures which have worked perfectly for 16months 10 drives softraid zero, but recently they have been destroying my life.

i have bought a new D500P and it seems to work much better.

Bob

it does look like both enclosures have failed - smoke started to come out of one of them this morning so i'm still waiting for a replacement. as soon as i get it i'll let you know.

JR Links

i have always had 10 seagate Baracudas 500gb raided zero in these cases and never had a problem till now. Is the Maxtor the only drives that have this 4-5 bay raid problem?
i've been speaking to sonnet and they have never mentioned this, but i guess that is because it doesn't apply to the seagate barracudas.

the problem i've had, and what bob has rightly said, is thet there are so many variables and i've not been sure whether it's one drive thats on its way out or the card or the encasments.

so after three weeks of hell!!!!! and stress levels that turned me into a monster i hope that the replacements of the cases will resolve my issues (however there may still be another drive on its way out)

it's a shame that i cannot put the kona test data i've collected into this post in the form of a graph so you could see the peaks and troughs in data throughput. i could paste the text data but it would take a lot of room.

kevin

i have to say - and you probably know - xraid hasn't had a good rep. i'd like to invest in a fibre raid but due to lack of money i'm not in a position to do that. Also, i have heard that the xsans isn't working well with the intel chips (but what do i know i cant even get my sonnet D500p to work).

thanks again guys

your support brings a smile to my stressed out face

Nick

Nick

Return to posts index

JR-Links
on Oct 7, 2007 at 6:29:52 pm

[Nick Franco] "i have always had 10 seagate Baracudas 500gb raided zero in these cases and never had a problem till now. Is the Maxtor the only drives that have this 4-5 bay raid problem?
i've been speaking to sonnet and they have never mentioned this, but i guess that is because it doesn't apply to the seagate barracudas."

Nothing to do with the brand of drive.
The note from Sonnett plainly stated:

"Note: This enclosure has been
qualified for up to a 4-drive RAID
(not a 5-drive RAID), and only for
drives with capacity up to 500GB
(not 750GB and greater)."

It's a simple matter of the power supply not being capable of supplying enough power to start 5 drives spinning up together, and maintain this power during heavy use.

If you read my post carefully, Sonnet (California office) told me on july 7, 2007:

""We started putting that sticker on the last batch of Fusion 500P's we shipped as we were noticing problems. Shortly after that, we beefed up the power supply, changed the product SKU and started shipping everything with drives in them."

The new Fusion D500P E-series removes this restriction.

Return to posts index

Nick Franco
on Oct 7, 2007 at 6:47:51 pm

[JR-Links] "f you read my post carefully, Sonnet (California office) told me on july 7, 2007:

""We started putting that sticker on the last batch of Fusion 500P's we shipped as we were noticing problems. Shortly after that, we beefed up the power supply, changed the product SKU and started shipping everything with drives in them." "

i've only just brought a new encasment D500P in the last week with no drives in it. i'll speak to sonnet agin tomorrow.

Cna any one recommend a better low budget option than i have already? maybe i should just by the Sonnet D800 i can not spend my life trying toget one piece of equipment to work.

Thanks

Nick

Nick

Return to posts index

JR-Links
on Oct 7, 2007 at 6:56:17 pm

[Nick Franco] "i've only just brought a new encasment D500P in the last week with no drives in it. i'll speak to sonnet agin tomorrow."

You can't buy a D500P directly from Sonnet in North America,
it's been replaced by the Fusion D500P E-series.
Some resellers may have old stock they want to get rid of.

Return to posts index

JR-Links
on Oct 7, 2007 at 7:27:39 pm

[Nick Franco] "Cna any one recommend a better low budget option than i have already? maybe i should just by the Sonnet D800 i can not spend my life trying toget one piece of equipment to work."

I have on order from WiebeTech the SilverSATA V five Bay SATA Enclosure (SISV-0-BND-1).
It has a 200 watt power supply.
$ 914.56 CAN
Includes a PCI-X Port Multiplier card for G5s (also has jumpers for using in a G4 as well).

It's reviewed here at AMUG:

http://www.amug.org/amug-web/html/amug/reviews/articles/wiebetech/silver5/

Return to posts index

Nick Franco
on Oct 7, 2007 at 7:41:36 pm

Thanks for that

i'll will probably look for something that has 8 drives+ need to do some Uncompressed HD. and i'll probably go hard ware raid. i will have a look at your suggestion in more detail. but for now i'm still stuck with the sonnets.

as i said i'll call them tomorrow

thanks again

Nick

Nick

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Sonnet Fusion D500P 10/10/07
on Oct 10, 2007 at 11:46:48 am

Hi -
I stopped following this thread, and just started reading it again. I am not aware of Sonnet saying anything like this.
Sonnet does not manufacture these chassis - they are made by Enhance Technology in southern california, and "sourced" to Sonnet. I will contact Enhance today to enquire about these comments.

In addition, my issue the other day, with the "drives not mounting" turned out to be a bad slot in the 500P. When I replaced the chassis, the problem went away.

Wiebetech also does not manufacture anything, but also sells Asian manufactured chassis. Why on earth that you feel that a Wiebetech chassis will be better than a Sonnet or Cal Digit or Firmtek or Dulce is beyond me. You have already been told that these chassis worked for A LONG TIME and then failed. Their is no magic to this stuff. Remember, this is an AJA forum, and AJA cards have problems too - and if an AJA card fails, you don't say "AJA SUCKS, IM BUYING A PINNACLE CINEWAVE - THEY NEVER BREAK".

I can only assume that when you replace your chassis, your problem will be gone. Please remember that ALL of these port multiplier products are compatible - you can stick your drives in any port multipler chassis that uses the Silicon Image 3124 chipset, and it will work with your Sonnet port multiplier host adaptor card. You will probably be fine when you change out your chassis.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Nick Franco
Re: Sonnet Fusion D500P 10/10/07
on Oct 10, 2007 at 12:32:28 pm

Hi Bob

You advice has been a lifesaver. Unfortunately even though sonnet has offered to replace the chassis direct through from the USA, I

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]