FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVCPRO1080i identity crisis; Exports at 1920x1080

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexander Serpico
DVCPRO1080i identity crisis; Exports at 1920x1080
on Sep 22, 2007 at 4:08:42 pm

FCP version 5.1.4
All footage is 1280x1080 - DVCPROHD 1080i60, as are the sequences i am cutting.
When exporting with current settings, i get a file with a frame size of 1920x1080.
If bring it back into FCP in a DVCPROHD 1080i60 sequence, it needs to be rendered to play.
In QT Player, the format it says it is is correct - DVCPRO HD 1080i60, 1280x1080 (1888x1062) - but the Normal Size reads "1920x1080"!
I copy pasted into a new sequence, and the problem is still there. I can't move the project to a different machine, since all my media is on a raid that can not be moved.
This has never happened before on my machine, but i have seen this on another one at my facility about a year ago. For that i reinstalled FCP and QT, and the problem did not go away.
Has anyone ever seen this problem?

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: DVCPRO1080i identity crisis; Exports at 1920x1080
on Sep 22, 2007 at 6:23:42 pm

[alexander serpico] "Has anyone ever seen this problem? "

There have been some threads about this issue recently and we could not agree on what was causing it or how to remedy it.

Here is what worked to solve it for me.

I found by exporting only sections of the timeline that it was only certain clips that were causing the whole timeline to be exported at the larger frame size. When I checked the clip info, there was nothing odd about them, strangely enough. Once I applied and rendered a broadcast safe filter (or any filter), FCP would then reference the render file instead of the original media. The export would then work correctly, at 1280 x 1080. I could only guess that there are hidden flags or metadata that are corrupt in some what and that is what is causing the export at the wrong frame size.

If you don't have the patience to figure out which clips are causing the problem, you can also export using Quicktime Conversion and the regular NON KONA DVCPRO HD preset. Exports seem to work correctly using this, but I think it recompresses all frames...as the export takes longer. I did a side by side comparison of the resulting files and could not see any difference, but that may just be because of the nature of the footage...not a very scientific analysis.

Return to posts index

Alexander Serpico
on Sep 23, 2007 at 4:35:22 am

Thanks so much John for your post! It's very comforting to know im not crazy, but also a real problem that this has not been figured out.

Just curious, but did the media you had problems with get imported via P2 Import or loaded off tape?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 23, 2007 at 5:08:24 am

This happens to me too, and I cut footage at 720p 23.98 from both the HVX-200 and the Varicam. So it is an ODD issue. But yeah, JOhn is right that it might be some render file or filter or something causing this whole thing to export wrong.

because one week I exported a file and it was fine. Then the next week I did it again, AND I DIDN'T CHANGE A THING and it came out 1280x720 instead of 960x720. Truely odd.

Shane

Littlefrog Post
http://www.lfhd.net

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Sep 23, 2007 at 3:04:08 pm

[Shane Ross] " But yeah, JOhn is right that it might be some render file or filter or something causing this whole thing to export wrong.
"

I am actually not saying that. I think its Quicktime flags/metadata. Referencing the render file instead of the original media fixes it.

[alexander serpico] "Just curious, but did the media you had problems with get imported via P2 Import or loaded off tape?"

Some clips were After Effects renders, some were off tape. No P2.

Return to posts index

Keith_Koby
on Sep 24, 2007 at 1:03:05 pm

We have been suffering through this issue. I messed with quicktime properties of a file giving this problem the other day and got the movie to import with the correct pixel aspect ratio and frame size into FCP, but it still exhibited the same behaviours within FCP: strobed playback in the viewer and needing rendered in the timeline.

I've also had two other anomalies that appear related. Captured and imported media exhibited the same behaviour on some stations. A few days later, I re-imported on the same stations and the problem was gone. No changes made to the stations... Also, a nested sequence has given me the exact same pixel aspect ratio and frame size malfunction.

I was thinking it was QT related as well, but the nest problem and the properties experience noted above says fcp.

A friend who posts here thinks it is related to a pro-apps update.

Keith Koby
Head of Post-Production Engineering
iNDEMAND NETWORKS
Howard TV!/MOJO/Movies On Demand/iNDEMAND Pay-Per-View

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]