FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems with Kona 3 and ProresHQ-SOLVED!

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
SaraAnn
Problems with Kona 3 and ProresHQ-SOLVED!
on Sep 20, 2007 at 6:49:56 pm

Hi,
I'm new here but I thought I'd throw some info out there. I was desperately searching through forums last night trying to figure out this problem and called AJA this morning and got the answer, so here it is in case you're interested:
I have a MacPro Dual Quad Core with 5 GB of RAM, FCP 6 and an AJA Kona 3 card (software v 4.0). I was trying to capture Apple Prores 422 HQ from an HDW-D1800 HDCAM deck. I couldn't capture that format or reqular quality Apple Prores because of dropped frames. If I told FCP to ignore dropped frames, I could capture but not playback. DVCProHD worked fine. My system's definitely beefy enough to handle ProRes. Turns out there's a software glitch with the Kona 3 - any system with over 2GB of RAM can't work with Prores because of this dropped-frame issue. So I removed 3GBs of RAM and bingo! They're apparently working on a fix. (I have to say that their customer support's great.) Hopefully there will be an update soon.

Return to posts index

Michael Alberts
Re: Problems with Kona 3 and ProresHQ-SOLVED!
on Sep 20, 2007 at 7:48:19 pm

We first got bit by this when we purchased our first MacPro w/8GB of RAM. We could capture ProRes HQ from an HD source no problem, but when it came time to play it back it would drop fames non stop. AJA tech support had us scale back our RAM to 2GB and it fixed the problem. They explained from a techical standpoint, but I'm just glad the fix worked. It's not optimal, but it works in a pinch.

Michael Alberts
Ambidextrous Productions, Inc.
http://www.ambidextrous.net

Return to posts index

SaraAnn
on Sep 20, 2007 at 8:58:34 pm

Yeah, I wasn't thrilled about having to remove RAM, but I needed my system to work with Prores. I wonder how long it will take for them to fix the problem.

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Sep 21, 2007 at 3:44:45 pm

Well, this issue and others like have existed since last September... So.... I'm holding out hope that these issues should be fixed soon.

Return to posts index

szumlins
on Sep 23, 2007 at 5:57:15 pm

I just saw this and wanted to know which model MacPro you are using. I don't have 8GB of RAM, but I do have over 2GB and have had no problems at all with a Kona3 and ProRes. I've actually been able to capture multiple hours of ProRes HQ with no dropped frames as well as play out with no problems.

Return to posts index

Tunaking
More than 2 gigs RAM works for some
on Oct 2, 2007 at 8:16:21 pm

I have used MacPros with both 4 Gigs and 8 gigs of RAM and the Kona 3 and I have not had issues with dropped frames in ProRes at all. Perhaps this issue was addressed with a firmware update lately? Or there may have been bad RAM involved (particularly in the person who started this thred...as 5 Gigs is not available as a build to order option on the Apple site, so 3rd party RAM was probably involved).

Anyway, this may need a little more investigation.

Return to posts index

SaraAnn
Re: More than 2 gigs RAM works for some
on Oct 3, 2007 at 5:33:54 pm

Hi there...
Yes, I figured out the 5GB thing and am now running 4GB. I spoke to AJA again and it is a problem that some machines are having - not all, but some. The tech support guys told me that both Apple and AJA are aware of it but nobody's really doing anything yet. They said it's something to do with filters that Apple puts on the RAM?? So it is a real problem but they did provide a work-around.

Return to posts index

conniesim
on Nov 2, 2007 at 8:40:10 pm

Hi. I am still having problems with audio sync and duplicate/skipped frame with prores HQ. May I ask what your settings were and what kind of original footage you had? Thanks, Connie

Return to posts index

Tcurren
on Sep 21, 2007 at 3:42:12 am

Oh, that explains a lot. :-(

Terence Curren
http://www.alphadogs.tv
http://www.digitalservicestation.com
Burbank,Ca

Return to posts index

Ken Zukin
on Sep 21, 2007 at 3:14:13 pm

Is this "fix" hardware related, or software related? Do you actually have to open the Mac Tower and physically remove the RAM?
Also, does this bug affect the Kona 3 only? Would it affect the IO HD? Or would one need a crystal ball to answer that question?
Thanks.

Return to posts index

N.Adam.Smith
on Sep 21, 2007 at 3:55:45 pm

[Ken Zukin] "Also, does this bug affect the Kona 3 only?"

How about Kona LHe? Suppose I'll go check the AJA site for info.

--
Video Photographer / Avid Editor / Final Cut Neophyte

Return to posts index

SaraAnn
on Sep 22, 2007 at 3:01:16 am

They actually had me physically remove the RAM from the tower. Works great now...my RAM's all wrapped up sitting in a pelican case which isn't fabulous but at least ProRes is working! I'm not sure if they're having the same problem with other devices.

Return to posts index

Lon Keller
on Sep 24, 2007 at 7:15:31 pm

We recently upgraded 2 of our edit suites with a couple top-o-the-line MacPros with 8 GB RAM. One system is a Kona 3, the other a Kona LHe. I'm a bit disappointed in hearing about the 2GB RAM limit issue, mainly because I religiously check with AJA support before performing any hardware or software upgrade. I wasn't told anything about this RAM issue.

While we've had no issues yet (haven't had the need for ProRes), we do have 3 major HD projects scheduled for October and I was planning on using ProRes. At least now I know to just try a couple clips before making a huge workflow commitment.

Lon Keller
Chief Editor / Producer
Sundog Studios

Return to posts index

Lauren McGuiness
on Feb 20, 2008 at 2:53:51 pm

Another thing you might want to check out is your expansion card preferences.
Go to system/library/coreservices and make sure it is running at maximum speed.
after we had tried the 2 gig solution, we put back in all the RAM adjusted those settings, and everything is now working fine.

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Feb 20, 2008 at 5:04:14 pm

Sounds fine...

But if you are running the ATI X1900XT video card, you have to run it at 16x in the slot configuration. This means that you can't run your AJA Kona 3 at 8x (full time). The only selection that you have available is the 4x-8x combo selection.

So, how does this work for you?

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://www.schazamproductions.com
http://blogs.creativecow.net/waynecarey

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]