FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio balance

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richarde007
Audio balance
on Sep 20, 2007 at 7:24:44 am

I don't know if anyone can help but i'm having a problem when capturing audio through my Kona LSe from a J30 Sony Digibeta deck.

The deck is connected via the breakout cable into the analogue XLR outs. When i capture footage with FCP 5.1.4 audio channel 1 is approximately 10.3 dB quieter than channel 2.

Does this sound familiar to anyone, anybody familiar with a simple fix? I can't seem to find a setting on my deck or in the Kona control panel for adjusting balance.

As a side note, when i captured with firewire the other day this problem wasn't present, only using the Kona.

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Audio balance
on Sep 20, 2007 at 1:26:44 pm

Sounds like a cabling problem.

Try swapping the left and right cables. Does the problem follow the cable? Then its the cable.
If the problem does not follow the cable, then it may be the connector on the Kona Breakout.
Can you try another device on that connector and see if the problem persists? Can you try other cables?

There are output level settings on the J-series decks in the menu....its unlikely anyone set it this way on purpose and its tough to do accidentally...but its worth checking.

Return to posts index

Richarde007
on Sep 20, 2007 at 1:33:23 pm

I've just tried swapping the cables around it doesn't follow it. I haven't got another way of trying the breakout cable.... do you know which setting can be altered that will affect this in the J30 menu?

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Sep 20, 2007 at 4:05:05 pm

I dont have a J30 in front of me. Just scroll through the menu with the character display on. The audio settings are in there.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Sep 25, 2007 at 9:26:56 am

[Richarde007] "I've just tried swapping the cables around it doesn't follow it. I haven't got another way of trying the breakout cable.... do you know which setting can be altered that will affect this in the J30 menu?"

If the problem does not follow the cable, then something is wrong in the J30. I have a J3/902 model which we capture to our systems via SDI, but we do all our dubs via Analog XLR audio. This deck does not exhibit this behavior at all and I don't believe there is anything in the menus to make an audio change.

Can you connect the output of the deck directly to an audio mixer or another VTR just to see what the audio levels are? Do they appear the same as what you see on the Kona?

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Broadcast and independent productions.

All Things Apple Podcast! http://cowcast.creativecow.net/all_things_apple/index.html

Read my blog! http://blogs.creativecow.net/WalterBiscardi

Return to posts index

richarde007
on Sep 25, 2007 at 9:39:36 am

I just hooked the deck upto an external video and audio monitor through S-Video and stereo RCA's and the the left-right balance seems fine.

Also when capturing through firwire i don't have this problem..... i can't seem to find any setting anywhere that will affect this problem.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 22, 2007 at 11:15:10 pm

richard -
Channel 2 is ok, correct ? Take the channel 2 cable (leave it plugged into the channel 2 output of the J-30) and plug the other end of this cable into CHANNEL 1 of the AJA. How do the levels look now ? Are they correct ?

This way, you can quickly tell if it's the VTR or the AJA that is the problem.

BobZelin

Return to posts index

richarde007
on Sep 25, 2007 at 9:20:33 am

Bob,

I'm using a breakout cable, so i can't do that unfortunately. I contacted AJA and they sent me a new card but no difference...... i guess it could be the deck but it's only 6 months old???

Would you recommend removing FCP completely and re-installing?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 25, 2007 at 5:41:28 pm

they sent you a new card, but did they replace the cable for you as well ? I did not realize that you were using the multipin cable that came with the card. It certainly could be the cable.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]