FORUMS: list search recent posts

Downconvert from HD to SD via SDI

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Liam El Terrible
Downconvert from HD to SD via SDI
on Sep 14, 2007 at 9:45:43 pm

Hi all so im trying to save a lot of time by downconverting a HD sequence to SD NTSC via my Kona Lhe. Problem is when i try to set my output to 525i29.97 i lose sync to my HD monitor, has anyone succesfully done this before? The guys at AJA dont have a HD monitor so they really couldnt help me. Im try to down convert and edge crop the HD material to D-Beta. I can get it working when i go out via the RGB but the color loss is too much I would love to just do it via SDI.
any ideas?
cheers
L

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: Downconvert from HD to SD via SDI
on Sep 14, 2007 at 11:54:07 pm

Yes.

Keep FCP and the video out in your HD easy setup. Open the KOna control panel. Right click on the approproate SDI out triangle (sdi 1 or 2) and then check secondary, then right click again and choose 525i 29.97.

The important part is to keep FCP and the video out in HD and the Control Panel do the work.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Liam El Terrible
on Sep 17, 2007 at 5:34:42 pm

Hey Jeremy, i am doing exactly as u said but when i hit the secondary check box, my monitor loses picture and sync. Do u think it would help to monitor through a digi-beta machine?

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Sep 17, 2007 at 6:04:41 pm

Okay. Let's back up a minute.

1) Put FCP in the HD easy setup that matches your timeline.

2) Open the Kona Control Panel and switch the appropriate SDI output to secondary and 525i29.97

GO back to FCP and hit play, you should have a down-convert going to your monitor.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Sep 17, 2007 at 6:05:16 pm

That should not happen. What are you using for a monitor?

Return to posts index

Liam El Terrible
on Sep 17, 2007 at 6:08:48 pm

Im using a Sony HR multiformat tritrion. I have done it countless times as u said also with the AJA technician on the phone. Problem is they dont have a monitor with SDI inputs so they cant test it themselves. Do u guys have a monitor with SDI inputs?

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Sep 17, 2007 at 6:13:24 pm

Not exactly, I have a monitor with analog component, but I use an SDI d/a to run it through, I also have an SDI deck. It all works and it won't matter if it's an SDI monitor or an analog monitor.

Did you try running ti through the Digibeta deck? Perhaps your SDI is busted.

Try quitting FCP and just using the Kona COntrol Panel to send color bars to the monitor. This will be the litmus test.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Liam El Terrible
on Sep 17, 2007 at 6:17:03 pm

Yeah tried without FCP running same thing happened... Havent been able to try it with the SDI running through a Dbeta deck as it is moutned 30yards away going to have to rig it up anyway so hopefully that fixes the problem but rerally it shouldnt matter...

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Sep 17, 2007 at 6:29:19 pm

No it shouldn't. Can you get a signal through analog?

Do you have a Kbox?

What versions of everything are you running (drivers and all)?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Liam El Terrible
on Sep 17, 2007 at 6:50:37 pm

Ok ,so it works when im running through the D-Beta. Color is terrible but it works. im running Kona LHe v3.3 and FCP6

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Sep 17, 2007 at 6:58:02 pm

[Liam El Terrible] "Ok ,so it works when im running through the D-Beta. Color is terrible but it works. im running Kona LHe v3.3 and FCP6"

Color should be fine, we downconvert to BetaSP all the time here and colors remain good.

Why aren't you running the V. 4 drivers on the LHe? Those are required to run correctly with FCP 6.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Broadcast and independent productions.

All Things Apple Podcast! http://cowcast.creativecow.net/all_things_apple/index.html

Read my blog! http://blogs.creativecow.net/WalterBiscardi

Return to posts index

Liam El Terrible
on Sep 17, 2007 at 7:11:56 pm

Only installed FCP6 today installing new software now...

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Sep 17, 2007 at 9:00:57 pm

No news is good news.

Did it work for you?

Return to posts index

Liam El Terrible
on Sep 17, 2007 at 9:39:24 pm

OK so good news! Im running straight out of the d-beta composite which is clearing up the color problem. So it seems it wasnt the software, but im sure it will help in the long run thx... Had some v-hold issues but that was fixed using the ref loop and a black burst. So seems to be going all ok now except resolution is a bit iffy after playing for a minute or 2 bu i will get back to u on that oince i have confirmed this problem. Thx for all your help guys.
cheers
L

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Sep 17, 2007 at 7:03:08 pm

[Liam El Terrible] "im running Kona LHe v3.3 and FCP6 "

That could be your problem.

FCS2 requires v4 of the Kona drivers. Make sure to uninstall your current drivers from the uninstall application that you have now, before reinstalling the new drivers.

http://www.aja.com/ajashare/KonaLH_Software_4.0.tar

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]