FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help: Aja Kona LH with no 16:9 analog out??

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Merickson
Help: Aja Kona LH with no 16:9 analog out??
on Sep 10, 2007 at 8:34:07 pm

Situation: Analog shop with a new Kona LH betacam RGB in/out. Full screen 4:3 is great. 16:9 curveball.
DV footage from analog source shot 16:9. Played from VTR the image is stretched vertical.
OK, then I capture and edit in anamorphic FCP. On the computer canvas/viewer, it looks anamorphic 16:9. Letterboxed with correct aspect.
However, the output of the AJA Kona (analog betacam) is still stretched full screen (vertical), like it was sent out of the DV player.
What can I do to pull an anamorphic (16:9) RGB Betacam (we have no SDI machines) signal from the AJA Kona?
Is this a Final Cut Pro issue?

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: Help: Aja Kona LH with no 16:9 analog out??
on Sep 10, 2007 at 8:55:17 pm

That's anamorphic material. Are you saying you need to letterbox it?

Return to posts index

Merickson
on Sep 10, 2007 at 9:20:22 pm

Thanks for the reply.
Getting my terms down, so correct me if I am wrong.
Anamorphic material = shot in 16x9 aspect ratio. Shot on Canon XL2. When played out of our ol' DVCAM VTR, looks stretched vertically to fill the 4:3 screen.

Goes analog "into" our AJA like that. Under settings in FCP I can select capture anamorphic and edit anamorphic. What comes out of the AJA is full 4:3.

By letterbox do you mean overlay of black mattes top and bottom?
Or distorting the aspect ratio to 16x9 with black top and bottom?

Workaround: I solved it (sort of) by capturing in anamorphic and editing in not-anamorphic. FCP has to render the footage in the sequence timeline. I was hoping to avoid that.

I hope this helps.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Sep 10, 2007 at 9:27:50 pm

YOu have it all correct and by letterbox I mean you/FCP will distort the footage, don't add mattes.

SD anamorphic footage (commonly referred to as 16x9) is footage that is recorded 16x9, but squished down to 720x480 to fit into the SD DV spec. You tell FCP that the footage is anamorphic and edit in an anamorphic timeline to preserve all of the information. If you capture anamorphic and edit in a non anamorphic timeline, FCP will do the letterbox conversion for you and you will be editing at a reduced vertical resolution.

What's you final output?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Merickson
on Sep 10, 2007 at 9:41:04 pm

Smart question; "final output?".

We are all analog. Betacam component machines. No SDI or firewire. Final out is to a Beta machine from the AJA component out. Product should be 16x9 letterboxed in a 4:3 raster/screen.

Best analogy: Looks like down converted HD as seen on SD cable TV. I hope this helps.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Sep 10, 2007 at 9:49:17 pm

Then you can edit exactly as you are. Bring in Anamorphic and edit in a non-anamorphic timeline. This will produce a letterbox image.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Merickson
on Sep 10, 2007 at 9:53:07 pm

10-4.
I was hoping for a renderless timneline but I can make do.
Thanks for the reply.

I saw that AJA has a anamorphic coverter, but I think that's only SDI, correct?

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Sep 11, 2007 at 1:46:41 am

AJA does provide SD to SD conversion for this purpose, but it an all reality, it was a feature that was added later at the request of users. Personally, I find it soft. It should work with analog inputs/outputs as well. As a matter of fact, I didn't know it was enabled on LHs, i thought it was a kona 2 or kona3 thing, but perhaps I am wrong.

The other thing you can do is edit in an anamorphic timeline and do a final letterbox conversion at the very end (nest your anamorphic timeline in a 4x3 timeline). This is will dave the major render times until the very end. For monitoring, all you do is punch the 16x9 button on the monitor to correct the aspect ratio.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

szumlins
on Sep 11, 2007 at 2:48:52 pm

You are right Jeremy, SD to SD conversions are Kona 3 and ioHD only.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Sep 11, 2007 at 3:18:24 pm

Word 'em up.

I had a feeling.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]