FORUMS: list search recent posts

1080i downconvert questions

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peterd
1080i downconvert questions
on Sep 10, 2007 at 1:18:17 pm

OK I'm attempting to downconvert a 1080i60 DVCPRO HD file to SD for SDI output to a Digibeta. I'm using FCP6.0 with a Kona2 card.

In the KONA2 Control Panel I set the native video format to 1080i29.97 and the secondary SDI output to downcovert to 525i29.97.

I took the clip and placed it on a sequence and let FCP conform to sequence to fit the clip automatically. The current sequence settings are for DVCPRO HD 1280x1080 29.97 fps upper field first I set the video playback to 1080i29.97 8 bit 1920x1080.

The trouble is the video plays back on the DigiBeta but it doesn't look very good. The colors look faded and edges are jagged. Im' not sure if I'm dealing with a bad file or if there's a setting incorrect somewhere. I'm told the video was orignally shot on XDCam so it may have been badly converted to DVCPRO Hd on export. I'm hoping it's simply an oversight on my part though. I've done many downconverts on this card and it usually looks much crisper than this. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
Re: 1080i downconvert questions
on Sep 10, 2007 at 2:31:36 pm

[peterd] "the video was orignally shot on XDCam so it may have been badly converted to DVCPRO Hd on export. "

I'd look into this for sure. It sounds like you're doing things right on the Kona card. Do you have any of the original XDCAM files to check?

-Russ

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Sep 10, 2007 at 2:41:17 pm

How does the original HD file look? Is it only the downconvert that looks 'iffy'?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

peterd
on Sep 13, 2007 at 1:07:43 pm

Sorry for the delayed response. I'm pretty sure it was the original file. The file looked good but since it was compressed to a lower datarate I think some information was lost that shows more in the downconverted version.

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]