FORUMS: list search recent posts

referencing LHe and Kona 3

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Davison
referencing LHe and Kona 3
on Sep 10, 2007 at 10:31:21 am

I have one suite with an LHe and one with a Kona 3 - They seem to have different referencing requirements!

The Kona 3 is wired to my HDCam Deck - House BB is plugged into the BOB The out from the Deck goes to the in on the bob, the in on the deck goes from one of the out on the BOB. the deck is set to ref the ref... all works well.

However on the LHe if I wire it the same way it will only work if the deck ref's incoming video and the video input on the BOB is unplugged - otherwise the deck records green snow over everything.

I'd love to sort this out as it keeps confusing freelancers!

http://www.twotallmen.co.uk

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: referencing LHe and Kona 3
on Sep 10, 2007 at 12:58:06 pm

You are plugged in incorrectly. I don't care if it has worked for 10 years this way, it's wrong.

You simply plug your house black (one BNC on the back of your black generator, or black video distribution amplifier), to EACH REF VIDEO IN, or Reference Video input of EACH piece of equipment, and each VTR.

you write -
The out from the Deck goes to the in on the bob, the in on the deck goes from one of the out on the BOB

JUST plug black from the black gen directly into the Break Out Box, and black directly into the Deck. NO LOOPING, no "out from the deck into the Breakout Box".

If my method does not work, then you have equipment issues, or incorrect settings in your AJA Control Panel, or VTR (or both).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

sean Davison
on Sep 10, 2007 at 8:16:59 pm

Thanks Bob

Im feeding each black input direct from the BBG with no looping. It works perfectly on the Kona 3 but differently on the LHe.

I cant work out why it should be different from LHe to Kona 3

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 10, 2007 at 8:36:37 pm

you may have done this - but -

1) set your AJA Kona Control Panel for the Kona LHe to External Reference (Control tab).

2) make sure your black signal is terminated with a 75 ohm BNC terminator (yes, this is important).

3) Your VTR should be referenced to EXTERNAL REF, and not input video.

4) On your LHe, you may have the AJA KL box. Use the original cables, and bypass the KL box, and see if this makes a difference (there may be a problem with the KL box).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]