FORUMS: list search recent posts

Timecode out from print to tape

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nick franco
Timecode out from print to tape
on Sep 8, 2007 at 10:21:48 am

Hi Guys

i'm trying to get the time code on my time line out to digi beta thro the Kona LHe. i'm at a loss.

i have the rs 422 leed (9 pin) conected to the deck and i'm going in SDI Single link to the deck.

i can record picture and sound with out a problem but the deck is kicking out anything timecode it feels like.

i've spoken to the tech department of the people who have rented me thedeck (sony DVW-A500P) (i know it's old)

the tc genorator on the deck is set to EXT and REGEN, Caapspan is at 2FD and the under pannel is set to TC Auto Time coade generator run rec, vitc on, id preset off.

also has anyone had a problem with the currentr Kona Driver 4.0? it seams to corrupt easiley .

Thanks in advance for your help

Nick

Nick

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: Timecode out from print to tape
on Sep 8, 2007 at 12:17:39 pm

I have a tuturial on EDIT to tape here on the cow. It is a step by step of how to do this.

The deck should be set to internal regen after you set your preset TC.

David

Return to posts index

nick franco
on Sep 8, 2007 at 8:02:47 pm

Thanks David

where on the cow will i find it. i'll try a search

Thanks again

Nick

Return to posts index

nick franco
on Sep 8, 2007 at 8:22:37 pm

Hi David

i found the artical that will be invaluable. does that mean i cant use print to tape?

thanks again

Nick

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Sep 8, 2007 at 9:02:07 pm

Try Edit to Tape!

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Sep 9, 2007 at 4:57:19 am

[nick franco] "have the rs 422 leed (9 pin) conected to the deck and i'm going in SDI Single link to the deck.

i've spoken to the tech department of the people who have rented me thedeck (sony DVW-A500P) (i know it's old) "

you need a keyspan adaptor since I am pretty sure that deck only sees RS232 serial control.
and the Kona cards only see and control RS 422.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

Jeff Bernstein
on Sep 9, 2007 at 7:50:27 am

Gary,

I believe that deck is a PAL version of the DigiBeta. It has the same ports as the DVW-A500. There are multiple RS-422 ports on it.

Return to posts index

nick franco
on Sep 9, 2007 at 11:55:01 pm

Hi Guys

thanks for you help. i've tried David Battistella advice and still no joy with time code out even if i use the edit to tape function as detailed in his tutorial (which was great)

the deck is pall and it has rs422 in and out (i'm attached to the in). i know i should have a black burst generator but it shouldn't stop me from geting timecode out onto the deck. everything works perfectly, good capture, no problem with deck contro, and it records picture and sound with edit to tape and or print to tape.

But alas no time code.

This is probably down to my ignorance. i'll do a little more reaserch.

Thanks again

Nick

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Sep 10, 2007 at 4:20:42 am

[Jeff Bernstein] "I believe that deck is a PAL version of the DigiBeta. It has the same ports as the DVW-A500. There are multiple RS-422 ports on it. "

correct jeff, my error.

I would check to see if the deck is not set to regen TC?

swap the serial cables, try just switching the connections, rather than changing cables.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Return to posts index

nick franco
on Sep 10, 2007 at 7:58:25 am

Thanks Gary

yes the deck is set to regen. there may be another problem - i had to reinstall my Kona LHe Driver last night, it seems to corrupt really easily.

the picture on my monitor wasn't moving as it was on my canvas window. i checked the data rate of my raid and it's plenty fast enough (at 50% full i have 350mbps write 250mbps read)

i've been using the Kona 10bit pal codec (27mbps) with two streams on Studio 2 the driver version is 4.0. Are there any known issues with the new Kona LHe Driver. this is becoming a nightmare. i have support guys who i've booked to come in but they cant make it till after my deadline.

the driver is fine now but i've had to reinstall this 3 times in two weeks

not all is lost on this project i can get away with any old timecode but it's not proffesional and it's worrying that this is not working.

thanks again

Nick

Return to posts index

cmlundy
on Sep 11, 2007 at 3:38:12 pm

It sounds like you're not all on the same page. The original post mentions the deck set to EXT REGEN. This will only work if you are feeding the deck timecode via the TC IN connection. This is meant for a deck to deck dub. It doesn't do anything with the RS-422. RS-422 is for controlling the deck, but you need timecode on the tape already. What you are attempting to do is just play out from your Final Cut timeline and have the deck generate timecode based on your timeline. This doesn't work (at least not up to 5.1.4) as Final Cut doesn't pass off the timecode info of the timeline to the Kona card in any way. Your options for outputting are as follows:

1. You black the tape on the deck with some timecode that you will need based on your timeline needs. Then use Edit to Tape and set the IN. You will use Assemble Edit if you have not blacked the tape for the entire duration of your program. If you have blacked the entire tape, use Insert Edit. This is the industry standard way of outputting from any editing system.

2. If you're trying to do it in a way that's similar to your original post you could use VTR Xchange or Kona TV. VTR Xchange will pass the timecode of the Quicktime out the SDI output of the Kona card and if your deck is able to accept SLTC or SVITC you would be able to simply hit play on the computer and record on the deck. No 422 control involved. The VTR Xchange appliation does do this if you load up a Quicktime (reference or self contained) and turn on the timecode in the Kona Control Panel . You would not set a deck to EXT REGEN to accomplish this, but instead to SLTC or SVITC (which is Serial, meaning SDI).

Hope this helps.

Chris Lundy
PostWorks, NY
http://www.pwny.com

Return to posts index

nick Franco
on Sep 11, 2007 at 4:00:29 pm

HI Chris

Thanks for your help, forgive me, but i'm not sure if i totaly understand. in Davids Tutorial you can set the time code on the edit to tape window when you black the tape. (is this correct?)

then you black the tape and at that point shouldn't the time code generated in the edit to tape window be reflected on the tape?

or are you saying that you set the timecode on the deck, black the tape then do the edit to tape which will lay the project back out to tape starting at the timecode in point that has been set on the edit to tape window

i appologes for my lack of knowledge.

Nick

Return to posts index

cmlundy
on Sep 11, 2007 at 4:57:04 pm

Sorry, I've never looked at that tutorial. I always black tapes using house black and insert house bars. Sometimes I've used the Internal Signal to black as well, but I always do this directly on the deck itself no matter what the format. The deck is set to INT PRESET for this step.

But once you've put the black on the tape with whatever timecode preset you require ,then you switch the deck to INT REGEN. Then Edit to Tape and set the In point. Go from there.

-Chris Lundy
PostWorks NY
http://www.pwny.com

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Sep 12, 2007 at 8:20:12 am

[nick franco] "i had to reinstall my Kona LHe Driver last night, it seems to corrupt really easily. "

then something is wrong, I only have to replace the drivers when something is seriously wrong ( it is often an indication that the hard drive is failing- as this happened to me recently)

run the conflict utility and the uninstaller then reinstall. I almost never see driver corruption in this manner.

[nick franco] "the picture on my monitor wasn't moving as it was on my canvas window. i checked the data rate of my raid and it's plenty fast enough (at 50% full i have 350mbps write 250mbps read)"

I sure hope you mean MBps -(megabytes not megabits as you wrote) 250mbps is slower than USB v1 can pass data.

If the video is not playing properly you should be getting DF warnings. 10 bit 50i PAL should play from a single SATA drive (but not FW400 or USB)

"i have support guys who i've booked to come in but they cant make it till after my deadline."

Contact AJA directly, if you layout your complete system specs and your issue I am sure they can help you, but this does sound odd.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Return to posts index

nick Franco
on Sep 14, 2007 at 8:46:32 pm

Hi Gary

Thanks so much for your help. sorry didn't get back to you sooner.

i met my deadline (Just!!!) they are over the moon.

my guys are coming on monday so i hope they can educate me. i'm a little concerned re your remarks about the driver. i'll make sure the do some tests on the kona card.

Thanks again

Nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]