FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor/FCP nightmarre

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Wilson
Compressor/FCP nightmarre
on Sep 1, 2007 at 5:57:39 pm

An extension of my earlier post.

I cannot get a compressor file out of my system. I have a feature that I am trying to make dvds from, which I've done before, but a after a few changes and I've had to try and make a new batch.

I have re-installed FCP and Compressor per the Apple White paper but EVERY time FCP will unexpectedly quit after a few hours or Compressor will show some sort of QuickTime error. I've been at this for three days. I know we've all been around and around about my unreliability issues but here it is again out of the blue.

Any ideas as to how to get Compressor/FCP to remain stable long enough to get a 7 hour render would be incredibly well received on this end. Have trashed prefs till I'm blue, reinstalled FCP and Compressor three times. Drives have no errors logged.

Thanks in advance for any help here.

Don

Don Wilson
donwilson.tv
AmericanaMediaInc.com
MississippiSon.com
818.660.2915 studio
818.207.6924 cell
818.760.1828 fax

Return to posts index

chris
Re: Compressor/FCP nightmarre
on Sep 1, 2007 at 9:20:36 pm

I just had a G5 Dual 2.7 go to sleep on me everytime I compressed video. It took awhile to troubleshoot and this may not have anything to do w/ your problem but 1 of the CPU's were failing. It would run fine all day and even when editing in FCP and rendering there. But come to compression and it was not gonna do it. SO, I've had 1 of the processors replaced and all is well. Check your temps and monitor them while working.
Good luck.

Return to posts index

Don Wilson
on Sep 1, 2007 at 9:26:21 pm

Thanks Chris. Seems possible. This thing hasn't been off really short of problem solving for over a year. Which processor monitor do you use?

Don

Don Wilson
donwilson.tv
AmericanaMediaInc.com
MississippiSon.com
818.660.2915 studio
818.207.6924 cell
818.760.1828 fax

Return to posts index

Don Wilson
on Sep 1, 2007 at 9:24:42 pm

It must be something in my sequence. It consistently fails short of three hours elapsed. Either going to output to tape and bring back in and start a new project sans that sequence or output an Uncompressed QT file and start anew.

Sequence plays fine. Corrupted media somewhere? Should I run the new Disk Warrior or is that asking for it?

Hot as Hades in So Cal, feels like bayou home.

Don

Don Wilson
donwilson.tv
AmericanaMediaInc.com
MississippiSon.com
818.660.2915 studio
818.207.6924 cell
818.760.1828 fax

Return to posts index

weevie833
on Sep 2, 2007 at 11:26:26 am

While I don't have a specific solution for your problem, here are a few suggestions anyway.

Render your sequence completely first. This means selecting the render options in the pulldown menu that include the realtime effects as well. If, for some reason, there are problems rendering the sequence, trash ALL of your renders on your media drive, confirm the target location of your renders file, and try again. One thing FCP does not like are filename conflicts if you have more than one renders folder

I never compress directly out of an FCP sequence. I export a QT reference movie, then compress from that, or if it is a shorter sequence, directly out as a self-contained QT in native format.

[Sorry if you already know this, but for those who don't, a QT reference movie looks and acts exactly like a regular QT movie, except that it contains no actual media. It is an 'alias' of your sequence, essentially, such that it 'points' to your media instead. thus it is much much smaller in size than a self-contained QT]

I always check to see if BOTH the OS volume of the Mac AND the target volume for the render are close to full. There may be temp files that the Mac creates that occupy space that you cannot see, so if it runs out of space or conflicts with virtual memory, no doubt there will be problems. If either of them are more than 85% full, get rid of some junk.

I assume you are keeping your drives maintained with Disk Utility [verify/repair disk], and the OS volume maintained via Repair Permissions. Your target drive should NOT be formatted as DOS or FAT 32. While the Mac will be able to mount the drive and function [poorly] with FCP, it will force you to work within a 4gb file size limit, which will cause problems in a prolonged render.

steve covello

Return to posts index

chris
on Sep 2, 2007 at 1:11:19 pm

Temperature Monitor - 4.2

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19994

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Sep 2, 2007 at 1:17:00 pm

[Don Wilson] "Any ideas as to how to get Compressor/FCP to remain stable long enough to get a 7 hour render would be incredibly well received on this end. Have trashed prefs till I'm blue, reinstalled FCP and Compressor three times. Drives have no errors logged."

Are you using "Send to Compressor?" If so, don't.

I never do this as both apps are then running at the same time with a greater chance of failure. Export a reference Quicktime Movie from FCP, quit FCP, then compress that quicktime in Compressor.

We've done 4 hour compressions here recently for a BluRay title and compressor did just fine on an old G5 Dual 2.0 machine running the latest and greatest Studio 2.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Broadcast and independent productions.

All Things Apple Podcast! http://cowcast.creativecow.net/all_things_apple/index.html

Read my blog! http://blogs.creativecow.net/WalterBiscardi

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]