FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blackburst and Kona 3 with Kbox

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Warren
Blackburst and Kona 3 with Kbox
on Aug 30, 2007 at 4:59:14 pm

Does anyone know if black-burst for HD is a different flavor than SD? In other words, can I use my existing Horita CSG-50 Black-burst generator to supply black-burst sync to the Kbox for SD and HD? Thus avoiding purchasing any more equipment?

TIA,

Warren

Warren Eig

O 310-470-0905

C 310-560-6245

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

http://www.atomfilms.com/af/content/knitwits

http://www.atomfilms.com/film/family_xmas.jsp

Return to posts index

szumlins
Re: Blackburst and Kona 3 with Kbox
on Aug 30, 2007 at 5:27:28 pm

[Warren] "Does anyone know if black-burst for HD is a different flavor than SD? In other words, can I use my existing Horita CSG-50 Black-burst generator to supply black-burst sync to the Kbox for SD and HD? Thus avoiding purchasing any more equipment?
"

You need a tri-level sync for HD. Your current device will work if you are using the K3 for SD, but not for HD. Check out the GEN10 from AJA, pretty cost effective for tri-level sync.

---

--

-Mike

Return to posts index

ken hon
on Aug 30, 2007 at 8:52:40 pm

Actually you can use your Horita for most HD. We have one and it works fine. You only need a tri-level when you are editing in true 24p according to what Bob Zelin has posted here (I've never edited in 24p). He had a great line about if you're not George Lucas, it's not something you need to worry about.

I asked the same question here when we changed over and Bob was extremely helpful (of course he did note that all the rest of our studio equipment beside the Horita was total cr#p and we should throw everything away except the Horita, sort of like that Minnesota carp joke, cook it on a board, throw the carp away and eat the board).

Aloha,

Ken

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 30, 2007 at 10:49:49 pm

Ken is correct.
The Horita BSG-50 works beautifully with the AJA Kona 3, AJA LHe, and AJA I/O product line, in both SD and HD - for HD as long as you are operating at 59.94. If you are operating at 23.98, and PARTICULARLY if you need to lay back to your VTR at a frame rate of 23.98, then you MUST have a tri level sync generator, and this is when you need the AJA GEN10.

So, if you own the Horita BSG-50, and you work at SD 29.97, and HD 59.94, you don't need to buy anything. In the future, if you build a new system, the ONLY CHOICE is the AJA GEN10, as it costs about the same as the Horita BSG-50, but does NTSC black, PAL Black, and every flavor of tri level sync for both 720p and 1080i. If you can get the AJA, that does everything, for the SAME money - why would anyone buy the Horita ever again ? (The GEN10 will do color bars too !).

With that said, almost NONE of my clients actually edit or lay off at 23.98, so any standard black generator will do.
Remember, most HD VTR's do the 2:3 pulldown, so your 23.98 footage comes out at a standard frame rate.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]