FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need advice for balanced audio to AES for KONA 3 input

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danrnw
Need advice for balanced audio to AES for KONA 3 input
on Aug 25, 2007 at 6:54:11 pm

Upgrading from Aurora Pipe Studio that had analog and digital inputs.
I need to get scratch tracks and other miscellaneous audio into the KONA 3
from a Mackie mixer. All my other audio will be coming in SDI or HDSDI embedded.
I need a converter for two channels of balanced audio to AES.
Recommendations anyone?

This isn't mission critical audio, so keep that in mind.
Thanks,
Dan

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Need advice for balanced audio to AES for KONA 3 input
on Aug 26, 2007 at 12:58:27 am

Dan writes -
I need to get scratch tracks and other miscellaneous audio into the KONA 3
from a Mackie mixer. All my other audio will be coming in SDI or HDSDI embedded.
I need a converter for two channels of balanced audio to AES.

REPLY -
1) play Beta tapes in a Digi Beta VTR, to get embedded audio
2) buy a Kona LHe instead of a Kona 3 to get analog inputs
3) buy an AJA I/O HD to get everything.
4) buy an AJA I/O LA ($900) or an AJA I/O ($2000) to get all analog sources (analog video as well) into your Kona 3
5) buy an M-Audio Flying Cow to convert Mackie Main Out L, R
to AES-EBU.

Ultimately, you will want other analog sources into your Kona 3, including VHS, 3/4" Beta, etc. NOthing beats owning a standard AJA I/O along with your Kona 3.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Mike
by
on Aug 28, 2007 at 8:15:42 pm

Bob, I just bought a similiar setup. Here's what I have: Kona 3 w/K3-box, AJA IO, and HD link feeding my Apple 23 inch monitor. How should I hook up my AJA IO to the Kona 3 so I can digitize analog and view analog video on the monitor. Make sense? I tried SDI Out (AJA IO) to K3-box SDI in, then K3box SDI out to the HDlink for viewing. Nothing. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 26, 2007 at 5:20:08 pm

[Danrnw] "I need to get scratch tracks and other miscellaneous audio into the KONA 3
from a Mackie mixer."

Are you recording yourself on your systems? I picked up a Blue Snowball USB Mic for not only scratch tracks, but we use it for final VO's too. Sounds great and there are even higher quality mics out there.

As Bob notes, you can pick up an Io LA for full Analog connectivity into and out of your system. We have one here and it's just great. In fact we just did a funny HD downconvert to DVCAM by running the Component out of the Kona 3 into the Io LA and then S-Video out of the Io LA to the DVCAM deck. Worked perfectly and it prevented me from having to use Composite video input on the DVCAM deck.

With the IoLA you simply bring the audio into the system through that instead of the Kona.

The AJA ADA-4 is an A/D audio converter that also does what you need. We have that running in our second suite. I have a Flying Cow A/D converter, though I'm not sure they are around anymore.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Broadcast and independent productions.

All Things Apple Podcast! http://cowcast.creativecow.net/all_things_apple/index.html

Read my blog! http://blogs.creativecow.net/WalterBiscardi

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]