FORUMS: list search recent posts

no video signal

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jimmy stewart
no video signal
on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:11:25 pm

hello,

i am trying to capture footage from a dvd through the kona card. i can receive audio, but cannot receive a video signal via-svideo. i have a splitter from the svideo to chroma and luma. my analog format is set to "composite + y/c" and i still receive nothing.

please help!

thanks,

j

Return to posts index

jimmy stewart
Re: no video signal
on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:26:10 pm

i am now getting a signal but its only black and white. can you tell me where i mightve gone wrong?

Return to posts index

jimmy stewart
on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:47:47 pm

i decided to go component video, but my picture is red. any settings im missing?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Aug 25, 2007 at 6:52:32 pm

[jimmy stewart] "i decided to go component video, but my picture is red. any settings im missing? "

no wrong cable config,
leave the Y in place swap the blue and the red cable at the DVD's connection.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 26, 2007 at 1:02:58 am

jimmy -
Get 3 WORKING BNC cables with BNC-RCA adaptors from Radio Shack. Select your input of your Kona product to Beta Component, not Composite and YC. Now, take the Y output of the DVD, and stick it into the Y input of your Kona. You get a B+W image - correct ? Good. Now, take the next BNC cable, and stick the B-Y output of your DVD into the Pb input of the Kona. You get some color now - correct ? Now, finish off with the last BNC cable - R-Y out of the DVD into the Pr input of the Kona - LOOK - COLOR !!!!!!!

If the colors are wacky, don't do this in FCP - use your AJA Kona Control panel for these tests, and when it works, then go into FCP, and make sure you choose Beta component, and not RGB.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

jimmy stewart
on Aug 26, 2007 at 2:49:22 pm

thanks, bob. but i still get a red image...and the picture looks like the pixels are tiny diamond shapes. thoughts?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 26, 2007 at 4:58:39 pm

Jimmy -
you are going to answer my questions, or I am going to beat you - ok?

Using the AJA Kona Control Panel only -
You send the Y signal from the DVD into the Kona - you get a B+W image on your TV (output of your Kona card) - is this correct ? Yes or no ?

Now, you plug in the B-Y or Pb signal from the DVD out to the Kona Pb input - what colors do you get - or do you get no change in the color of the image. Tell me what happens.

Now, you plug in the R-Y or Pr signal from the DVD out to the Kona Pr input - what colors do you get - or do you get no change in the color of the image. Tell me what happens.

I await your response.

BobZelin

Return to posts index

jimmy stewart
on Aug 26, 2007 at 5:22:21 pm

ok bob. i dont want a beat down...so here goes. basically, i was just monitoring out of fcp. i didnt hook up the external monitor. im really new to this card, so i didnt know you can monitor from the kona control panel. thanks for the heads up! i ended up going svideo out of the dvd player and into the kona. i still got diamond shapes, but when i plugges the R cable into the Green channel, it disappeared and i got a clean image. strange because i matched the right cables to the right input, and got diamonds. strange. ill keep this message you sent me for further configurations...as it will help when controling from the control panel.

using the AJA Kona Control Panel only -
You send the Y signal from the DVD into the Kona - you get a B+W image on your TV (output of your Kona card) - is this correct ? Yes or no ?

Now, you plug in the B-Y or Pb signal from the DVD out to the Kona Pb input - what colors do you get - or do you get no change in the color of the image. Tell me what happens.

Now, you plug in the R-Y or Pr signal from the DVD out to the Kona Pr input - what colors do you get - or do you get no change in the color of the image. Tell me what happens.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 26, 2007 at 10:54:35 pm

Jimmy writes -
but when i plugges the R cable into the Green channel, it disappeared and i got a clean image. strange because i matched the right cables to the right input, and got diamonds

Jimmy -
let me assure you that you are plugged in incorrectly. I have no idea of what cabling you are using, but the R cable is the red channel, and this channel has NO SYNC on it, so you would only see a scrambled signal if only plugging in the red channel into the Green (Y) channel.

The DVD Player has a GREEN jack on it - this is the luminance channel (Y channel) that has composite H and V sync on it. If you don't plug the Y channel out of your DVD player into the Y channel of your Kona card, you don't get a picture (and when you just use this one cable, you get a B+W image - this is the luminance channel - no chroma - -no color). There are no exceptions to this. No one is gonna say "gee, I don't know, I plug in the red cable, into the Y input of the Kona and I get this red picture with diamonds" - you are plugged in incorrectly, and I have no idea of what cables you are using.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]