FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems with Kona AJA 3 and FCP video playback

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dcbryan
Problems with Kona AJA 3 and FCP video playback
on Aug 21, 2007 at 10:29:18 pm

I'm having some problems sending video from Final Cut to my HD monitor. I have FCP 6 updated and just reinstalled and a AJA Kona 3 card with the newest drivers running on an 8-core Mac-pro. The Kona card is going out through HD/SDI to a JVC DT-V24l1d HD monitor. The monitor works fine with the Kona card and the system, I know this because I can right click on any of my footage in the finder (1080i/24p, 720p, etc.) and use AJA TV to view it on my JVC monitor and it plays perfectly. I load the same footage into FCP and use Easy Setup to change the format and frame rate accordingly. When I drop the footage into the timeline and push play, it only play's single frames. And yes, the external video is set to All Frames. I've tried several different types of video, different resolutions and frame rates. Kona told me to call apple, apple told me to reinstall, which I have done. Any advice would be great.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Problems with Kona AJA 3 and FCP video playback
on Aug 21, 2007 at 11:22:01 pm

What Easy Setup are you using?

What format is the footage you are trying to play?

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Broadcast and independent productions.

All Things Apple Podcast! http://cowcast.creativecow.net/all_things_apple/index.html

Read my blog! http://blogs.creativecow.net/WalterBiscardi

Return to posts index

dcbryan
on Aug 22, 2007 at 3:19:36 pm

I've tried footage with several different irresolutions, 1080i, 1080p, 720p, 720i, and several different frame rates, 24p, 24pa, 301, 60i. And the easy set up to match. I don't think having the wrong setting is the problem, becuase I've tried so many combinations and nothing has worked. I also found out that Apple's Color won't preview out to the monitor either. So I'm think it's not just a FCP problem.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Aug 22, 2007 at 3:37:15 pm

[dcbryan] "I've tried footage with several different irresolutions, 1080i, 1080p, 720p, 720i, and several different frame rates, 24p, 24pa, 301, 60i. And the easy set up to match."

first
there is no such thing as 720i it does not exist

stop using FCP and try the Kona TV app in the AJA utilities folder, if you do not get video out of that then there is something off with the card. It needs to be an apple standard codec, so DV, DVCPROHD or Prores will work --- NOT HDV

second
use the AJA uninstaller, reboot and then reinstall the 4.0 drivers from the AJA site.
then try an easy setup in FCP

and to be sure restart FCP after you change the easy set up.

As for Color - you did choose the Kona card in the User Prefs?

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

dcbryan
on Aug 22, 2007 at 5:05:07 pm

Gary, sorry about writing 720i. I won't let it happen again.

Perhaps you missed this in my original post
"The monitor works fine with the Kona card and the system, I know this because I can right click on any of my footage in the finder (1080i/24p, 720p, etc.) and use AJA TV to view it on my JVC monitor and it plays perfectly."

I've also already uninstalled and re-installed both FCP and the newest 4.0.2 Kona Drivers.

Yes I selected the kona card in Color Prefs. My footage was 1080i 29.97 10bit, so I selected 1080i 29.97 10bit. When I view the same shoot with the AJA TV utility it automatically selects 1080i 29.97 10bit, and plays fine. So I don't think this is a matter of me selecting the wrong resolution.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Aug 22, 2007 at 5:40:28 pm

[dcbryan] "Perhaps you missed this in my original post "

yeah I did.

so a call tech support as long as you are sure your settings are all correct.

but first try the uninstall then reinstall the current aja drivers, it has fixed a number of issues at times for me, just throwing out the plist files will not correct everything if some thing is corrupted.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Aug 22, 2007 at 3:39:05 am

I would call Jerry @ AJA tech support, this sounds like an issue of the wrong resolution settings (a corrupt file from either FC or Kona) for the media being played. I would think he will have you trash both FC and AJA preferences, reload the AJA drivers and start a new project. Call Jerry in the morning.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

dcbryan
on Aug 22, 2007 at 4:05:30 pm

I've already tried trashing both the preferences for FCP and the Kona Card. And like I said, I recently updated the drivers. And I've tried several new Projects. But I'll give Jerry a call, hopefully he can help.

I would call Jerry @ AJA tech support, this sounds like an issue of the wrong resolution settings (a corrupt file from either FC or Kona) for the media being played. I would think he will have you trash both FC and AJA preferences, reload the AJA drivers and start a new project. Call Jerry in the morning.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Aug 22, 2007 at 7:57:54 pm

[dcbryan] "'ve already tried trashing both the preferences for FCP and the Kona Card. And like I said, I recently updated the drivers. And I've tried several new Projects. But I'll give Jerry a call, hopefully he can help."

I am telling you to un-install and reinstall the drivers. the prefs are not the issue here.

and Stop trying several settings- choose one since all of that bouncing around will cause issues also.

I don't care if you installed the drivers today, if you updated without first uninstalling them you may have done this to yourself.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Aug 22, 2007 at 8:35:01 pm

I agree
Trying toany things to quickly causes pleblems.
What did jerry say?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 22, 2007 at 7:12:36 pm

I am getting the impresssion that you do not have an HD VTR at your place - is this correct ?

What I would like you to do, is to play back your 1080i VTR into the Kona card, using ONLY the AJA Kona Control Panel. Select 1080i as your primary format, and observe the HD output of the Kona on your HD TV monitor (I don't care if it's an HD-SDI or analog component HD monitor - I dont' care if it's a consumer TV, you can still do this test). Do you see your VTR playing thru your Kona card on the TV ?

If you do, ABANDON ALL PROJECTS that you are working with for now, and open up a NEW project. Select an Easy Setup that corresponds exactly to your playback material and VTR (if you have a Sony JH-3, that is playing back 1080i 29.97 material or 1080i 23.98 material, choose that easy setup). Go into Log and Capture - do you see the image on the MAC screen - do you see the image on the output on your HD TV monitor ?

If you DO NOT HAVE ACCESS to an HD-VTR, and someone gave you these drives, please tell me how the media got on the drives.

Let me know.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Sean ONeil
on Aug 23, 2007 at 12:13:42 am

One thing you might try is trashing the Quicktime preferences.

Sean

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]