FORUMS: list search recent posts

HVR-Z1U Question

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
MediaBox
HVR-Z1U Question
on Aug 21, 2007 at 3:09:43 pm

Hello, I have a Kona LHe and need to bring in some 1080i footage shot with a Sony HVR-Z1U. What would be the best way? I don't have a deck that will play the footage so I'm left with whatever the camera can do. I could come in component analog or HDV via firewire. What would all of you say?

Thanks, John

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: HVR-Z1U Question
on Aug 21, 2007 at 8:32:41 pm

Depending on what the final output is would bewhat I would convert to on capture using the component connection. You cancapture andoff linenarive HDV then recapture to what you need if drive space is an issue.

For an all digital transcode in real time you should look into the Convergent Design HD-Connect SI that takes the HDV over FW and converts to HD-SDI

Good Luck
MP

Return to posts index

MediaBox
on Aug 21, 2007 at 9:22:16 pm

Thanks Michael. I have a convergent designs HD-Connect MI for my br-hd50 deck using the HDMI out of the deck into the HD-Connect MI. But I believe You're right that need the SI to pull straight from the Sony camera via firewire and convert to HD-SDI. Oh well.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Aug 22, 2007 at 3:18:36 am

Doesn't the br-hd50 deck support the 1080i Z1 footage for play back and capture? If not it is really to bad there are so many different flavors of HDV. How is the JVC to MI working for you?
I love my M25 to MI into my Kona LHe, the footage is amazing.

Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

MediaBox
on Aug 22, 2007 at 4:07:03 pm

The JVC to MI works great. Just like you said, the footage is awesome. As for the BR-HD50u, the JVC tech on the phone said... It will output 1080i, just not play it. What?? I said it lists 1080i on the output specks of the deck right on their website. He said "Like I said... it outputs 1080i, it just won't play it back from tape." So what is the point? Does anyone understand the difference, or better yet, the purpose??

Other then this, the deck has been outstanding. And this really isn't a rip on the deck, I didn't but the deck to do this I just don't understand what the deal is with it. As you said Michael, it really is to bad how many flavors of HDV there are.

Thanks, John

Return to posts index

Mike Schell
on Aug 22, 2007 at 4:44:10 pm

Hi John, Michael-
Just for clarification, the JVC HD50 deck will playback all the various JVC tape formats (720p24/25/30/50/60) and output in either 720p, 1080i or SD resolutions. But it will not play back 1080i tapes. The MPEG2 decoder in the JVC deck only does 720p not 1080i, but they do have a cross converter / down-scaler which does the conversion to 1080i or SD.

You have a similar problem on the Sony M25U deck. The Sony deck does play back all the Sony 1080i formats, and it will play back JVC 720p30 tapes (out the HDMI port, but not out Firewire), but no other 720p formats. Also the Sony deck deos not handle the 108024F format from Canon.

It's somewaht of a mess with the different formats and tapes, so you have to be careful to match the video format with your deck / camcorder.

Mike Schell
Convergent Design

Return to posts index

MediaBox
on Aug 23, 2007 at 1:23:12 pm

Thanks for the clarification Mike. I appreciate your input.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]