FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVCPRO HD Wrong Resolution and Pixel Aspect Ratio

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lumiere
DVCPRO HD Wrong Resolution and Pixel Aspect Ratio
on Aug 18, 2007 at 4:32:05 pm

I wanted to bring up a pretty major bug that appeared only a few days ago ever since the last update to Pro Apps.

DVCPRO HD 720p & 1080i export self contain movie seems to mess up the native resolution and the pixel aspect ratio therefore forcing a render on a native DVCPRO HD timeline.

We are outputting a 13 part series for the History Channel and all of a sudden our self contained Exports from a perfectly good and rendered timeline require renders.

Our tests show that different duration exports renders different results! Short exports (5 min or so) seem fine, the resolution shows as 960x720 and PAR HD(960x720) but longer ones the resolution in FCP browser shows 1280X720 with Square Pixel Aspect. 1080 resolution has the same issue with 1920 vs 1280.

Although, resetting the resolution in QTPro and the PAR in FCP seems to match other clips that work - a render is still necessary.

I'm assuming the Pro Apps update broke it but I am not sure of course.

This issue exists in FCP 5.x & FCP 6.x

Frederic Lumiere

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: DVCPRO HD Wrong Resolution and Pixel Aspect Ratio
on Aug 18, 2007 at 8:51:37 pm

There's been some talk of this on the FCP forum. Apparently it's affecting only some people and not others. I did my own tests today and didn't have a problem with anything, even 2 hour long timelines, in both FCP 5&6, DVCPro HD (5&6) and ProRes (6).

Jeremy

Return to posts index

John Pale
please read
on Aug 19, 2007 at 6:11:09 am

Its not the length of the export that matters.

Some, or even just one, of the clips in your timeline is erroneously being read by Quicktime as having square pixels instead of DVCPRO HD's anamorphic pixels.

I determined this by gradually exporting sections of my timeline...getting the correct result...until...BAM...I found the one clip that caused the export to go awry.

Add the Broadcast safe filter to that clip, and the export works correctly. It doesnt have to be the Broadcast Safe filter...any filter, even one that changes nothing, will fix the problem, as FCP now reads the render file instead of the original media.

I believe, randomly, Quicktime is messing up in the metadata department and this is causing the issue. I had several timelines which exhibited this problem and there was no pattern to the offending clips. They all appeared normal in their properties (the correct DVCPRO HD pixel aspect and size).

Return to posts index

lumiere
Re: please read
on Aug 24, 2007 at 12:16:05 pm

I honestly don't think it's the case.

Took an hour movie which was rendered a while ago (pre Pro Apps update) in DVCPRO HD 720p60 59.94, dropped it in a timeline - no need to render.

Exported 5 secs of it - no need to rener

Exported whole - needs render

F

Return to posts index

Lumiere
on Aug 24, 2007 at 12:21:45 pm

I honestly don't think it's the case.

Took an hour movie which was rendered a while ago (pre Pro Apps update) in DVCPRO HD 720p60 59.94, dropped it in a timeline - no need to render.

Exported 5 secs of it - no need to rener

Exported whole - needs render

F

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 24, 2007 at 12:24:05 pm

[John Pale] "Its not the length of the export that matters.

Some, or even just one, of the clips in your timeline is erroneously being read by Quicktime as having square pixels instead of DVCPRO HD's anamorphic pixels."

I would agree with this assessment. There is at least one clip in your timeline that is not the same as the rest and it is causing the entire timeline to export in the wrong pixel resolution.

One question I have is why you're exporting the entire 1 hour timeline as a self contained movie? Are you taking it to another post house to lay off to tape?

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Broadcast and independent productions.

All Things Apple Podcast! http://cowcast.creativecow.net/all_things_apple/index.html

Read my blog! http://blogs.creativecow.net/WalterBiscardi

Return to posts index

Lumiere
on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:50:47 pm

[walter biscardi] "I would agree with this assessment. There is at least one clip in your timeline that is not the same as the rest and it is causing the entire timeline to export in the wrong pixel resolution.

Made sense to me but my latest test proves that it isn't the case. Again, I only have one clip in the timeline and exporting only 5 sec is fine (no need to render when reimporting) where exporting the complete movie (44:50 min) isn't (needs rendering when reimporting in the same timeline!).

[walter biscardi] One question I have is why you're exporting the entire 1 hour timeline as a self contained movie? Are you taking it to another post house to lay off to tape?"

I placed only one clip in the timeline just for a test.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Aug 26, 2007 at 1:40:07 am

[Lumiere] "Made sense to me but my latest test proves that it isn't the case. Again, I only have one clip in the timeline and exporting only 5 sec is fine (no need to render when reimporting) where exporting the complete movie (44:50 min) isn't (needs rendering when reimporting in the same timeline!)."

I guess this bug is even more random and weird than I thought!

I have not had it re-occur since it happened to me a month or two ago.

In my case, it was definitely not due to the length of the export. Once I took care of the problem clips the long exports went fine.

Return to posts index

Keith Koby
on Aug 27, 2007 at 5:56:06 pm

We've been experieincing this problem since upgrading a month or so ago. I originally thought that it only affected media captured with 5.1.4 and imported into 6. I now doubt that, whereas, I believe we have now encountered the problem with media captured in 6.0.1.

I have also encountered a similar problem in nesting timelines. Option clicking a nest to play it back in the viewer has the same strobed playback problem as one of the exported-reimported files described above. Also has the same pixel aspect ratio and frame size errors.

Having said that, I'm thinking it has more to do with FCP than QT.

off topic: we've seen the following problem with nests as well as duplicate sequences. see below link. And we saw this problem between ppc and intel long before FCP 6. Could the above and below all be render file related issues?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306068

Return to posts index

Lumiere
More info on the DVCPRO HD Bug
on Nov 10, 2007 at 8:55:19 pm

The issue is when non DVCPRO HD clips are included...

There are workarounds (kind of).

Here's a link to a pdf on the issue:

http://lumieremedia.com/dvcprohdbug/Lumiere_DVCPROHD_BUG.pdf

Frederic

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: More info on the DVCPRO HD Bug
on Nov 11, 2007 at 4:16:10 am

Man, this is awesome. Did you send this to the Apple feedback page?

Thanks for typing this up.

Return to posts index

Lumiere
on Nov 11, 2007 at 1:36:56 pm

Yes - Apple has it, they're working on a fix.

Interestingly enough - after I wrote this I discovered that one of my timeline (seems identical) does not have the issue. Next, I'll switch clips between timelines and see if the problem is with the clips or the timeline.

F

Return to posts index

Lumiere
on Nov 11, 2007 at 1:55:31 pm

The problem is with the clip.

Even though they both seem to be perfect self contained dvcpro hd 59.94 movies that do not require render, one generates the bug, the other doesn't.

I switched clips in timelines and the problem follows the clip - not the timeline.

I will upload 3 sec clips on the link mentioned in the doc and update the doc with this info.

F

Return to posts index

Lumiere
Bug Pdf Updated with link to clips
on Nov 11, 2007 at 3:01:05 pm

The Pdf has been updated with the lastest findings:

http://lumieremedia.com/dvcprohdbug/Lumiere_DVCPROHD_BUG.pdf

It seems that some clips have the issue, others don't. The Pdf has links to two 3 sec clips one good, one bad.

Now let's just hope Apple solves it.

F

Return to posts index

Lumiere
BUG FIXED IN VERSION 6.0.2
on Nov 15, 2007 at 3:59:11 am

IMPORTANT: FINAL CUT PRO VERSION 6.0.2 FIXES THE ISSUE
DESCRIBED IN THIS THREAD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]