FORUMS: list search recent posts

genlock necessary for Kona LH ingest?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jenny L.
genlock necessary for Kona LH ingest?
on Aug 7, 2007 at 6:42:33 pm

Hi there:

I am working on a low budget indie film that is getting ready to digitize the dailies for the offline.

Our editing set up is a dual 2 Ghz PowerPC G5 tower with Mac OS 10.4.10, Final Cut Pro 5.1.4 and a Kona LH card. We're using an old playback-only deck, the Sony DSR 60, which is being controlled with RS-422. No firewire input on the deck.

(The dailies are DVcam (transferred from Super 16mm). Telecine house is providing a scene-and-take transfer and giving us Flex files, which we're bringing into Cinema Tools and using to create a batch capture list. Offlining at 29.97 fps, and eventually we will be generating an EDL, scanning the film and finishing on HDcam SR.)

The genlock on the AJA control panel is set to "Video". Is that all I need to guarantee frame accurate timecode on the batch capture? In general, I know it's a good idea to have everything genlocked to a blackburst generator, but the production does not have one and the budget is already maxed out, so there is reluctance to purchase one. The DSR 60 is the only deck hooked up to the system, which we are using for ingest only while on location; we are not doing any kind of laybacks or editing to tape at all with this equipment.

I assume I should also calibrate the capture offset in FCP as well?

Greatly appreciate your time. Thanks much.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: genlock necessary for Kona LH ingest?
on Aug 7, 2007 at 8:41:52 pm

[Jenny L.] "The genlock on the AJA control panel is set to "Video". That's all you need for capture.

[Jenny L.] "I assume I should also calibrate the capture offset in FCP as well?"

Only if you want to make certain your edit is frame accurate...

Sorry, but I was reminded of my dentist who says, "only floss the teeth you want to keep."

David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY

Return to posts index

Jenny L.
on Aug 7, 2007 at 9:13:19 pm

Thanks for the confirmation, David! Much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 8, 2007 at 12:18:38 am

David writes -
but I was reminded of my dentist who says, "only floss the teeth you want to keep."

REPLY -
I love that saying. And just remember Jenny -

you don't need to backup any of those files that you don't mind losing.

you don't need to use a critical monitor for any scenes that you don't care what the color are going to look like on the screen

you don't need to use a scope to check your levels for anything that will never wind up on broadcast or cable TV.

When they got the donation of the DSR-60, couldn't the same generous person give them an old Horita box ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jenny L.
on Aug 8, 2007 at 2:42:12 am

Ha, thanks for the reminders!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]