FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capturing Gameplay

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sukaafeisu
Capturing Gameplay
on Aug 4, 2007 at 3:47:37 pm

Hi. I need some advice on what hardware to use.
I want to capture gameplay footage from PC games to create videos. I do not want to use FRAPS because I don't feel it can handle the resolution I want to capture. I would like to be able to capture video at 1900x1200.
Most video cards now days have dual DVI, so I was wondering is there a capture card that takes DVI ? This way I could have 2 computers, 1 playing the game and the 2nd capturing.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Capturing Gameplay
on Aug 4, 2007 at 7:13:05 pm

there are numerous ways to do this, but you MUST SPEND MONEY. Most games have analog Y Pb Pr HD outputs. You can purchase an AJA HD10AVA, or AJA HD10A, and convert the analog game signal into HD-SDI, to capture into your Kona 3 card. If it is a true 1080i or 720p signal coming out of the game, you can take the Y Pb Pr signal out of the game, and go directly into the Y Pb Pr input of a Kona LHe card.

This is a better solution than getting a DVI breakout.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 4, 2007 at 8:00:50 pm

Gefen and Doremi Labs make DVI to HD-SDI converters, that can go into your Kona LHe or Kona 3 card.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

sukaafeisu
on Aug 5, 2007 at 5:03:51 pm

Great! thanks for your reply mate. going to have a look at this.

though I am not sure what you meant by this:
"Most games have analog Y Pb Pr HD outputs."
I'm probably not knowledgeable enough to understand that. Did you mean most video cards have analog Y Pb Pr HD outputs? Or did you mean most game engines have options for analog Y Pb Pr HD outputs?

Return to posts index

Arniepix
on Aug 5, 2007 at 5:42:56 pm

I think that Bob was referring to set-top game boxes, like X-box or Playstation. Most computer graphics cards do not have any kind of video output.

Arnie

Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman

http://www.arniepix.com/blog

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
Bob Zelin
on Aug 5, 2007 at 7:37:28 pm

Arnie is correct. All video games that you can make a living with rely on XBox, XBox 360, Playstation, etc. that have analog component outputs on them. If you have a video game that is just software, and plays on your PC, there is ABSOLUTELY NO ASSURANCE that this will output to a standard video rate (be it SD or HD), and you can make NO ASSUMPTIONS that you can capture this on ANY capture card (AJA, Blackmagic, etc), unless you go thru a box like a Folsom, YEM, Spectrum, etc (these are really expensive).

Moral - ASSUME NOTHING .

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Nick Righton
on Aug 8, 2007 at 4:38:40 pm

Miranda makes this box that will convert DVI to HD-SDI in the appropriate format for video. It costs about 4500 though.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/441681-REG/Miranda_DVIRAMP2_DVI_RAMP2...

Return to posts index

ianfreeze
on Aug 16, 2007 at 6:00:02 pm

hey man,

Im doing the same thing. check out this thread.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/98/866016?pview=t#head

hope that helps some.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]