FORUMS: list search recent posts

Choking-stuttering-dropping frames near seq end????

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
pSquared
Choking-stuttering-dropping frames near seq end????
on Aug 1, 2007 at 5:37:30 pm

Trying to output a 20 min seq thru Kona 2 to Panasonic HD150 deck, and near end of seq. ( 15 - 18 min in) frames start dropping, 4 or 5 then 8 -10 duplicate frames and stuttering jerky picture. Gets progressivly worse the farther in.

Seq preset is AJA Kona 2 :720p 59:94 DVCPro HD
Capture preset is same
Device Control; AJA Kona 2: 59:94 Panasonic VTR
Video Play Back AJA Kona 720p59.94 8 bit

I've tried everything I can think of. It's happening not just on tape, but as I monitor
from the Kona card as it goes to tape.

Ideas? And thanks in advance...

p2

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: Choking-stuttering-dropping frames near seq end????
on Aug 1, 2007 at 7:11:13 pm

Dropped frames is most likely a disk speed or unrendered timeline issue.

Make sure all effects are rendered, even full ones. Render a mix down on your audio.

How fast are your drives and how full are they?

Return to posts index

pSquared
So...uh...
on Aug 1, 2007 at 8:56:47 pm

Everything's rendered.

Got a 1T internal eSATA RAID that's only 1/2 full and has played back no problem in the past.

So...uh...

p2

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: So...uh...
on Aug 1, 2007 at 9:00:16 pm

And you selected all and hit apple-option-r?

Are you sure all the media resides on your scratch drive?

What does the AJA system test say about your drive speed?

Return to posts index

Matt Larson
on Aug 1, 2007 at 9:02:19 pm

If it's something you need to lay off immediately, export the seq as a Self Contained Quicktime movie. Usually that will help.

As far as the dropped frames, do you have the Kona system test? May want to double check you disk speed; also, try using the read existing file setting in Speed test on the media that drops frames, maybe you have a corrupt file?

Return to posts index

weevie833
on Aug 1, 2007 at 9:12:17 pm

Just out of curiosity, are you outputting via Print to Video, Edit to Tape or just playing down the sequence and hard recording?

First of all, recording while doing straight playback doesn't always work [this is a common thing for former Avid editors to do], so if that's the case, do it via the other methods.

I have always done Print to Video and Edit to Tape from the Viewer, not the canvas. It's just different and more reliable. since I created a "universal" slate/countdown in animation compression [to be used in all the flavors of SD], I always get the "incompatible compression error" from outputting from the canvas. I read somewhere [probably here] that FCP simply manages the media differently from the Viewer when PTV or ETT. So give it a shot.

steve covello

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 1, 2007 at 9:14:06 pm

you write -
Got a 1T internal eSATA RAID that's only 1/2 full and has played back no problem in the past.

So...uh...

REPLY - so, uuh, you got at least TWO SATA drives in your computer dedicated for this playback of media - correct ? As two others have suggested, go to your Kona Utilities, and run AJA Kona System Test, select DVCProHD 720p with a 1 Gig file size, and hit START, and tell us what your write and read speed is.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 1, 2007 at 9:19:19 pm

[pSquared] "Got a 1T internal eSATA RAID that's only 1/2 full and has played back no problem in the past."

This is at least two drives striped together, correct?

What does the AJA Speed test tell you?

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Broadcast and independent productions.

All Things Apple Podcast! http://cowcast.creativecow.net/all_things_apple/index.html

Read my blog! http://blogs.creativecow.net/WalterBiscardi

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]