FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which type SDI cable? RG11 or RG59

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nearsightednate
Which type SDI cable? RG11 or RG59
on Jul 27, 2007 at 10:40:22 am

Hi.

I need to get some SDI cables to run from my Kona LHe card to it's breakout box and need to know if I need to get RG11 or RG59? What's the difference between the two types? Can I use either one or is there a specific one I need to use?

Thanks for the help.
Nate

Return to posts index

Fred Connors Jr
Re: Which type SDI cable? RG11 or RG59
on Jul 27, 2007 at 1:42:18 pm

I would suggest Belden 1865a to carry Standard Definition only, or Belden 1694a for High Defeinition SDI. The Belden 1694a will also carry SD but it is overkill for SD.

Fred

The Troupe - Modern Media Design & Production

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 28, 2007 at 2:21:30 am

Nate -
Fred is on the right track here. When you say "RG11 or RG59" - it sounds like you went down to Home Depot to look at coax cable. This is the wrong thing to do. Different cables have different ratings, and these ratings make a HUGE difference. For a 3' run, you can get away with a Radio Shack RCA audio cable with some BNC adaptors on it, but in a real life studio setup, you need REAL CABLE that is rated for SDI or HD-SDI.

Some of the brands that are used for this application come from Belden, GEPCO, and Canare (and there are others like Clark, etc.).
You can find these brands - even pre made cables for these applications, from mail order houses like Markertek, B+H Photo, Comprehensive, and many others.

Because HD-SDI cable is readily available today, I recommend that you buy this type of cable, as it is easy to find. Typical RG-59 style
HD-SDI cable is Belden 1505A, or Gepco VPM-2000. You can find this cable, and cables made with this, at places like Markertek. Older analog video cable, like Belden 8241, looks exactly like Belden 1505A, but let me assure you - IT'S NOT THE SAME PRODUCT ! And you won't get the same performance. Belden 1505A is the #1 cable that I use for all of my installations. If you want "skinny cable", which is often refered to as RG-174, this is Belden 1855A, and this can be use for up to just over 200'. Belden 1505A (the RG59 stuff) can be used for up to 300'. If you want the THICK STUFF (also known as RG-6 cable) this is Belden 1694A, but as Fred says, I don't like to use this cable type, as it is a pain in the ass. It can be used for up to 370'.

Many of my rants are based on people saying "I just went to Radio Shack, bought some coax cable, and it works just fine with my HD deck". Hey - I have used stuff like this in emergencies too, for short runs, but this is not the right thing to do, and as you go longer distances, this will get you into deep trouble. Cable is expensive, but using the right cable is actually more important than getting a black generator !

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

nearsightednate
on Jul 28, 2007 at 3:11:19 am

Hi.

Thanks for the respnses! I agree 100 % Bob. I never go cheap with cable. Coming from a ProAudio/Music background I completely understand the importance of good cables. I would never even think about getting cables from home depot. Here is where I got the RG11 and RG59 information (Canare):
http://www.markertek.com/SearchProduct.asp?item=SD11%2DBB3&off=0&sort=prod
http://www.markertek.com/SearchProduct.asp?item=SD59%2DBB100&off=1&sort=pro...

So is the only difference in the thickness and shielding? Is one geared to HD versus SD?

Will either of these work for connecting my Kona LHe to the breakout box? i just don't want to damage them.

Thanks again for your help.
Nate

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 28, 2007 at 7:38:04 pm

the top link you posted is for Belden 1505A RG59 type cable from Markertek, not Canare cable. This is what I use almost 100% of the time for everything these days. It's the best all around cable for every application right now. The correct connector is the Kings
2065-2-9, or the cheaper Connectronics BNC-1505.
Use this, and you will have no problems with your Kona.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

nearsightednate
on Jul 30, 2007 at 1:07:42 am

Hi Bob.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I ordered those cables so I should be good to go!

Thanks again.
Nate

Return to posts index

Stefano Ingravalle
on Aug 1, 2011 at 10:16:50 pm

Hi,
I need a very long cable to bring audio and video HD-SDI signal at the same time from three Sony NX5 to a video mixer (30-50 metres or more).
What cable and model do you suggest me to use for live outside events? Do exist models of cables for HD-SDI that are more resistant and shielded than others?
And do you think I can use only 1 long cable or do you think it's better if I cut it in many short cables to plug one each other only for the distance I need?

Thank you,
Stefano

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]