FORUMS: list search recent posts

XRAID and Hot Spares

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Zimman
XRAID and Hot Spares
on Jul 23, 2007 at 8:50:28 pm

so, we got some drive errors on one of our XRAIDs. i don't really think it will amount to much, but they want us to put in hot spares. from everything i read you just put the drive in and it becomes a hot spare. no configuration required. so that'd be pretty cool. now here's the question, lets say the drive in slot 2 fails, and it starts to rebuild on to the spare in slot 7. once the rebuild is complete and you remove the dead drive in slot 2 do you switch the former spare from slot 7 to slot 2? my intuition tells me no, and that once a RAID is built the controller is expecting the drives in that order. but you know, just wanted to check.

thanks
-sam

Return to posts index

Matt Larson
Re: XRAID and Hot Spares
on Jul 23, 2007 at 10:38:48 pm

[Sam Zimman] "do you switch the former spare from slot 7 to slot 2"

No, once the drive rebuilds in slot 7, it will look for the data there. Don't move it!

Just a thought: Is your XRAID formatted as a RAID 50? If so, you might not need to dedicate a slot to a hot spare. I used to have a hot spare in the set ready to go, but I decided it made more sense to use all 14 drives and just keep an extra drive in a drawer in the studio. When a drive goes down the XRAID emails me and I just pop in the spare I have sitting in the drawer. It then rebuilds automatically (takes about 30 hours) and I can keep working in the meantime.

The only difference is having a hot spare in the chasis will let the XRAID begin rebuilding the array immediately.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]