FORUMS: list search recent posts

Magic Reboot

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lumiere
Magic Reboot
on Jul 20, 2007 at 1:47:49 am

Just thought I'd take a quick poll here amongst AJA users.

How frequently do you reboot?

It seems that when all plausible explanations are expired and that the Kona card just isn't doing what it should be doing often a reboot solves the issue.

I've been doing this stuff for a while now on many different systems (4 altogether) and I would say that on average I reboot about every four hours when things just stop working properly. Changing settings or deck pretty much always requires a reboot but sometime, even a different tape with nothing else different, requires a reboot.

I'm talking about outputting and ingesting mainly while controlling decks.

Simply editing, as long as the settings don't really change doesn't seem to create many issues.

So if you do a lot of mastering or ingesting, how frequently to you have to reboot?

F

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Magic Reboot
on Jul 20, 2007 at 1:55:07 am

I only boot up at the start of the day and shut down at the end of the day.

Only FCP crashes would cause me to reboot. I can't think of a time I had to reboot because of something the Kona was doing.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Broadcast and independent productions.

All Things Apple Podcast! http://cowcast.creativecow.net/all_things_apple/index.html

Read my blog! http://blogs.creativecow.net/WalterBiscardi

Return to posts index

Tunaking
on Jul 20, 2007 at 7:30:41 am

Days and days without reboot. Maybe once every three days?

And I'm not kidding.

Return to posts index

lumiere
on Jul 20, 2007 at 11:31:37 am

Maybe the complexity of our setup is the issue:

OUTPUT
Kona 3 > BOB > Legalizer > CC Encoder > DigiBeta Deck or HDCAM Deck or BetaSP Deck or DVCPRO HD Deck

INPUT
Beta SP (Component & analogue audio) > IO > SDI IN -BOB > Kona 3

In any given day we ingest beta sp, dvcpro hd, digibeta and hdcam.

Same on outputs.

F

Return to posts index

Alexander Serpico
on Jul 22, 2007 at 7:07:05 pm

While I don't think they have anything to do with your problem, out of my own curiosity what is your BOB and Legalizer?

Return to posts index

lumiere
on Jul 22, 2007 at 8:42:57 pm

[alexander serpico] "While I don't think they have anything to do with your problem, out of my own curiosity what is your BOB and Legalizer?"

The Break Out Box is AJA and the legalizer is Harris.

Frederic

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Jul 20, 2007 at 2:33:18 pm

Rarely do I need to reboot more than turning on the computer when I get to the studio, but the other times that I do find myself rebooting is when I bounce back and forth between AE and FCP a lot. For some reason, the KOna card can get confused with all the bouncing back and forth. A restart clears it up, always.

This happens maybe once a week or every other week. It's very infrequent.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jul 20, 2007 at 6:15:46 pm

I am with them, I go days without a reboot.

make sure you have the latest drivers, as there must be something not right, use the aja uninstaller in the applications folder, reboot and reinstall usually fixes that kind of memory leak.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

Joe Murray
on Jul 21, 2007 at 1:54:08 am

Occasionally I'll have to reboot due to out-of-sync audio but I'm not sure if this is a Kona or FCP issue. I'll second Jeremy's experience when jumping in and out of After Effects and FCP, sometimes weirdness ensues. And maybe once every six weeks I get some really strange issues where the Kona doesn't display video properly if set to 10 bit, and when I switch it to 8 bit everything works fine. A restart fixes this issue as well.

Joe Murray

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jul 22, 2007 at 6:30:09 pm

[Joe Murray] "Occasionally I'll have to reboot due to out-of-sync audio but I'm not sure if this is a Kona or FCP issue."

I get this too. From the lack of discussion on this forum, I thought I was unique.

Return to posts index

lumiere
on Aug 18, 2007 at 4:28:24 pm

I wanted to update this post:

A clean uninstall and reinstall of the latest drivers for FCP 6 seemed to fix my issue.

I don't have to reboot nearly as frequently as I used to.

Can't unerestimate the value of the uninstall utility. Make sure you move it to a new folder so it doesn't try to uninstall itself.

Frederic

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]