FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDV into Kona LHe

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
MediaBox
HDV into Kona LHe
on Jul 18, 2007 at 12:39:40 pm

Hello everyone,
I'm about to purchase a new HDV camera. We're looking at either the Canon XL-H1, the JVC GY-HD110U or 200U. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any issues getting the footage into the Kona LHe with any of those cameras, or what the best way to do so is? Should we go through a Convergent Designs or Miranda box? The main purpose of the camera will be for documentary footage and we want the ability to shoot in 24p.

Thanks for any help,
John

p.s. feel free to give an opinion on what camera you'd go with!

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: HDV into Kona LHe
on Jul 18, 2007 at 3:53:07 pm

If you are looking at the HDV models that have an HD-SDI connection then all you need is a cable into the LHe. I use the Sony V1U's HDMI connection together with the Convergent Design HD-Connect MI that converts to HD-SDI into my LHe. Convergent Design and AJA have been great products for me.

As to the problems of JVC and Canon I can't comment on these units but I have read plenty of issues over the last year with FINAL CUT. MAINLY CAPTURE ISSUES THAT YOU WILL AVOID by using the LHe.

There are many good reasons for purchasing HDV, I hope you research all the flavors first before you dive in. For me I like knowing I have some compatibility from other company's and decks available from the manufacturer who makes my camera. Sony is that company for me. I know Canon doesn't make a deck and the f mode is its own flavor. JVC does make a deck for its own flavor.

You may find working with AJA's VTR Exchange capture program easier for capturing HD-SDI as it allows time code in on this connection as FC does not.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

mediabox
on Jul 18, 2007 at 6:21:34 pm

Thanks Michael for your reply. It's been a long process in the making and I appreciate your input.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 19, 2007 at 12:34:18 pm

If you buy the JVC camera, simply purchase the JVC BR-HD50U HDV VTR. You will have RS422 VTR control, and HD Y Pb Pr outputs on the back of the VTR that will go directly into the Kona LHe analog HD inputs.
A perfect combination.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

mediabox
on Jul 19, 2007 at 3:17:31 pm

Hi Bob, We did in fact order the JVC and added the BR-HD50U deck. I thought about the analog component HD but also ordered a HD-CONNECT MI from Convergent Designs, converting the HDMI out on the deck to SDI. Do you think this is unnecessary or of little gain?

~John

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jul 19, 2007 at 3:30:09 pm

I would absolutely buy the Convergent Design MI or perhaps you could save a buck with the Nano Connect if the RS-422 is on the deck. Call Mike Schell at CD, he is really great. There is no comparison to digital and the sound and timecode never get separated. I'm sure you will be happy with this combo.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

mediabox
on Jul 19, 2007 at 4:18:24 pm

Thanks Michael. I'll definitely give Mike a call.

Thanks, John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]