FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony HVR 1500

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rarudio
Sony HVR 1500
on Jul 16, 2007 at 11:13:30 pm

Hi Everybody,

Has anybody have any experience with the Sony HVR1500?
Thanks in advance!

Roland

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Sony HVR 1500
on Jul 16, 2007 at 11:40:58 pm

yes, the HVR-1500 is the only HDV VTR you should consider (ok, the BR-HD50U is good to, but you need the AJA HD10AVA, unless you have a Kona LHe). Once you use this VTR, you find the other HVR series VTR's useless.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

rarudio
Re: Sony HVR 1500
on Jul 17, 2007 at 9:05:23 am

Great! Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: Sony HVR 1500 or HVR-M25
on Jul 17, 2007 at 5:29:00 pm

However you can buy 2 of the Sony M25 decks and the 2-Convergent Design HD-Connect MI boxes for the same price as one 1500. This will also get you HD-SDI uncompressed 1920x1080 signal to do what ever you want with. Both decks are really good solutions.
Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 17, 2007 at 8:14:32 pm

VTR control with the HVR-M25U is NOT as good as with the HVR-1500 (or the JVC BR-HD50U). Not even a little bit. Firewire VTR control is terrible.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jul 17, 2007 at 8:33:22 pm

Are you speaking about HDV FW control or DV FW control?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 18, 2007 at 2:40:26 am

Michael - I know that this is going to lead into a hostile RANT, if I dare say that "professionals" only use RS422 control. Every product from AJA, Blackmagic, AVID, and every previous product from Aurora, Pinnacle, Aacom, etc. and every professional VTR from Sony, Panasonic and JVC use RS422 for VTR control. I dont' give a crap whatever other firewire, dv firewire, hdv firewire, RS232 ports, exist - every professional enviornment, since the linear days, uses RS422. Sony got bitched at so much, that they finally released a PROFESSIONAL HDV VTR that had RS422 VTR control, not firewire.

I certainly am aware that even the Panasonic AJ-HD1400, and Sony JH-3
have control via firewire, but NO PROFESSIONAL DOES THIS, unless he is a bunker in Iraq covering the war, and has no equipment available to him. EVERYONE relies on RS422 VTR control.

I know that there are plenty of people that use Firewire control for the VTR - what can I say. I am telling you that from my experience, you are never going to get the smooth operation of a VTR via the firewire transport control that you will from the serial control port. The HVR-1500's transport is superior in tape handling to the HVR-M25U (and other sony HDV VTR's).

I wish I could make comparisons to other sony VTR's that were cheap, but Sony never made a toy Beta VTR, Toy D2 machine, Toy 1" VTR, Toy HDCam VTR, or toy Digi Beta VTR. OOPS - I am wrong - the Sony DSR-11 was the same piece of crap that the early HVR series was - and this was soon "upgraded" by Sony to the DSR60, and DSR80 - which evolved to the DSR1600, 1800, 2000, and DSR45. If you have made your living wtih the DSR-11 - what can I say. It was a piece of crap when it came out, and it's a piece of crap today. The Orlando Sentinal newspaper uses 2 of these every day (and they are professional - right ?) - and you know what - ITS A PIECE OF CRAP.

You own a Kona - you own professional equipment. Get a real VTR.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jul 18, 2007 at 3:01:04 am

No Bob...
You are wrong, this will not be a hostile rant on my end. It's really good to know you think HDV is such a professional format. I use 422 deck control with my M25U and it works great. My question had to do with HDV firewire control, I use the DV firewire and 422 from my Kona LHe. I really don't think anyone is relying on frame accuracy from Long GOP, or am I wrong.

Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]