FORUMS: list search recent posts

In the Pink: A Newbie Question

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mtbakerstu1
In the Pink: A Newbie Question
on Jul 14, 2007 at 6:25:53 pm

Hello, a newbie question as I'm just entering this HD universe. I bought a Kona 3 card and have installed it in my G-5 2.3 dual. I have a Sony HD-Cam deck, the HDW-F500. I am going SDI out of the deck from the Digital I/O, into the Kona card. I have connected the breakout cables with the RS-422 to the deck. I am running Final Cut Pro 6.0, and the tapes I'm working with have a frame rate of 23.98.

Device control is working just fine, but I'm getting nothing but a pink screen in the capture window when playing back. Any thoughts here? Is this a setup issue in Final Cut Pro? How should I go about troubleshooting this?

Any thoughts on this most appreciated, thanks.

mtbakerstu

Return to posts index

mtbakerstu1
Re: In the Pink: A Newbie Question
on Jul 14, 2007 at 8:42:48 pm

It occurs to me that the issue might not be with the connectivity or settings, but rather with the standard def monitors connection to the computer. Right now I'm going SVGA into the monitor. Could this be it? Can I use a stnadard def monitor? Do I need to got DVI into the computer? Would going SVGA have a pink screen symptom as I'm describing? Or am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Thanks,

mtbakerstu

Return to posts index

JR-Links
on Jul 14, 2007 at 9:35:13 pm

You need at least an LCD HD monitor with component inputs.
You monitor through the Kona 3, not your computer's DVi or VGA outputs.
Have you looked at setups in the Kona 3 manual?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 14, 2007 at 9:52:43 pm

that is one hell of an expensive HD VTR you've got there for a newbie, with no installation experience. Maybe you should hire a freelance tech to help you do this install.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

mtbakerstu1
on Jul 14, 2007 at 11:10:34 pm

Bob, are you one of these people that posts just to put people down? I'm fully confident I can install this myself with a little feedback, as so many other issues have been resolved?

If you don't have a constructive suggestion, why post?

Return to posts index

weevie833
on Jul 15, 2007 at 1:47:10 pm

Hate to be a monkey jumping on the same back, but you are in over your head, even but for an inch.

There are complex setup issues here that go far beyond monitoring, including media drive setup, D/A conversion for multi-channel sound, downconversion, crossconversion, HDCam setup, Control Panel setup, Genlock, and on and on.

The cause of such ire among "us" is that there has been a prevailing attitude in the burgeoning sector of this industry thinking that just by simply buying the stuff, that the person is somehow "well qualified" to manage it. this is not to discount the possibility of a newbie becoming a seasoned and grizzled pro at it, but I assure there is a lot of distance in between the two.

Anyone who has tried to keep all of the marbles in one pile with these systems, through all of the updates and upgrades and revisions and format developments can tell you that you are "in for it", and that your best chances for surviving it is to form a working relationship with a pro whose job it is to make your life easy.

The bittersweet part of posting in this particular forum is that: A) Mr. Zelin is a wealth of knowledge unparalleled, despite his "bite", so get thick-skinned to it, capital letters and all; B) some of us are a bit soured by the downward pressure there has been to fees and rates due to the sheer ease at which some people can jump into the business simply by buying the stuff off the shelf without going through somewhat of a journeyman's apprenticeship where, presumably, all of the stuff you inquire about would've been learned before you were even permitted to BREATHE next to a high-end system.

so yes, there is some elitism and, honestly, some envy for the ease at which you have been allowed to enter among "us" [speaking for myself, at least]. So it comes across as irritating to hear that you have this $75,000 HDCAM deck and not a clue how to set up your monitor. Boo hoo!

But that is not the rationale behind this or any other forum, so please forgive me.

As a previous poster suggested, do look through the AJA recommendations for setup, and DO contract a professional who will streamline your system so that all the other problems I can already predict you will be having next won't happen.

steve covello

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jul 15, 2007 at 2:39:30 pm

[mtbakerstu1] "Bob, are you one of these people that posts just to put people down? I'm fully confident I can install this myself with a little feedback, as so many other issues have been resolved?

If you don't have a constructive suggestion, why post?"

Bob is well known on these forums as a "straight shooter" and if you're going to work in this industry, you have to get a thick skin really fast.

The fact that you have a brand new FCP system and don't seem to understand how to connect the HDCAM deck correctly or capture from it correctly indicates to all of us that you don't have much experience either in the industry or with the gear. Thusly, you should probably be looking at some professional help to assist you in ensuring that your system is fully set up to capture and edit correctly.

I was in the industry 10 years before I ever set up an edit suite. Now I've designed three complete facilities, but the engineering side of things I always contract out for assistance and in fact, Mr. Zelin has been assisting me in completely re-engineering our current facility. He definitely knows his stuff.

Bob just sums things up succinctly as only he can.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Broadcast and independent productions.

All Things Apple Podcast! http://cowcast.creativecow.net/all_things_apple/index.html

Read my blog! http://blogs.creativecow.net/WalterBiscardi

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: In the Pink: A Newbie Question - RANT
on Jul 15, 2007 at 2:57:18 pm

Ok Mr. Mtbakerstu1, here is your answer.
You state that you have it hooked up, but are going into the SVGA input of your monitor, and maybe you should be going into the DVI input for HD.

What THE HELL are you talking about here ? The AJA Kona has BNC connectors - no VGA, SVGA or DVI connectors. These BNC connectors are to hook up your HD-SDI signal from your HDW-F500 HD-SDI output into the HD-SDI input of your Kona 3, and to come out of your Kona 3 HD-SDI BNC connectors (HD Out 1 for example) and feed the HD-SDI input of a Hi Def Professional monitor, that has HD-SDI inputs. What the HELL do you own that is SVGA ? SVGA is a computer connector that refers to Super VGA, like a computer 15 pin connector. There is NOTHING on your Kona 3 or HDW-F500 that has SVGA or DVI connectors.

If you do not own an HD monitor, and own only a computer montior with a DVI connector on it (like an Apple Cinema display), you can purhcase the AJA HDP, which will convert the HD-SDI signal from your Kona into a DVI signal, so you can see the HD signal on your DVI computer monitor.

AND if you dont have this, but have a Standard Def video monitor, you can take the Kona 3 analog out Y Pb Pr, and go into the AJA Kona Control panel, and downconvert the HD signal, so you can use an inexpensive Standard Def video monitor to see your HD signal - but downconverted, if you can't afford, or have access to an HD monitor.

SEE - lots of choices here. In addition, to get any of this to work, you must load the AJA Kona 3 drivers from the AJA website, and go into the EASY SETUPS of Final Cut Pro, and select a setting like
Kona 10 bit uncompressed HD to get this to work (and make sure that HD input 1 is selected in your Kona Control panel if you are hoooked up to HD IN 1 on the Kona product). AND if your tapes are shot at 23.98, you should have your HDW-F500 do a 2:3 conversion for you, so when you edit you can edit at 59.94, which is also a choice in the EASY SETUPS, when you make your selection, instead of 23.98.

Is this a complete answer for you ? You have no idea of what I am talking about, do you ? You don't know a BNC from a DVI from an SVGA ? This is all a mystery to you, as you have never done it. I could tell from your initial questions, and realized that you would not have a CLUE of how to proceed, so you should GET SOME HELP. Getting professional help IS NOT AN INSULT. I ask for help on new products ALL THE TIME, when I don't know how to do things, and I PAY for this help. There is only so much these user forums can help you with, and you obviously don't know the difference from a BNC connector to a SVGA connector. In my opinion, you will not succeed until you get someone to help you.

I didn't realize that saying that you should hire a pro tech to assist you was an insult.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Jul 15, 2007 at 5:40:36 pm

[Bob Zelin] "There is NOTHING on your Kona 3 or HDW-F500 that has SVGA or DVI connectors. "

My thought is that he hooked up the audio DVI connection of the Kona that connects it to the KBox...?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jul 15, 2007 at 5:42:17 pm

[JeremyG] "My thought is that he hooked up the audio DVI connection of the Kona that connects it to the KBox...?"

That's not a DVI connection. It's a larger port that is both audio and video.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Broadcast and independent productions.

All Things Apple Podcast! http://cowcast.creativecow.net/all_things_apple/index.html

Read my blog! http://blogs.creativecow.net/WalterBiscardi

Return to posts index

rarudio
on Jul 16, 2007 at 11:21:15 pm

AMEN!

Return to posts index

Tcurren
on Jul 16, 2007 at 4:22:49 am

[mtbakerstu1] "Bob, are you one of these people that posts just to put people down? I'm fully confident I can install this myself with a little feedback, as so many other issues have been resolved?

If you don't have a constructive suggestion, why post?"

Oh my God! You have no idea who you are talking about. Bob has accumulated TONS of experience over the years by his HARD work. And he gives it away free to those who ask. Sometimes, a less experieneced individual such as yourself comes along and he gives the short answer. And then you get upset!!. Well, if you want a sugarcoated version, PAY FOR IT! Otherwise, shut up, take your lumps, and learn for free what he has suffered to learn.

Terence Curren
http://www.alphadogs.tv
http://www.digitalservicestation.com
Burbank,Ca

Return to posts index

mtbakerstu1
on Jul 14, 2007 at 11:11:05 pm

Thanks, JR. Most helpful.

mtbakerstu

Return to posts index

Christopher Wright
on Jul 15, 2007 at 4:35:54 am

"If you don't have a constructive suggestion, why post?"

Because as Bob states, no one who has the money for such expensive equipment would ever try to hook it up to a standard def monitor. Your post reeks of massive inexperience. Sometimes the old pros have to call it like it is...

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 15, 2007 at 8:32:21 pm

I just wanted to say that I have been in this industry for 12 years...editing for 6 of them. Currently built my own FCP setup...and I know how to set up a lot of decks. I am no newbie to this world.

HOWEVER...HDCAM and specifically how to set up and configure them into my system is something I have absolutely NO CLUE about. The first thing I'd do is hire a broadcast engineer to do that. Nor do I have any experience with the menu system and setup of the deck, so I'd hire someone to show me.

Know yourself. Know your strengths and weaknesses...admit when you are over your head and need help. Things will go smoother, get done right the first time...and you don't look like a complete HACK in front of your clients.

I output all my shows (3-4 a year) at a post facility...let them do it. Because I haven't clue one about how to do it.

Shane

Littlefrog Post
http://www.lfhd.net

Return to posts index

Christopher Wright
on Jul 16, 2007 at 8:48:56 pm

Boy !!
Did Weevie hit the nail on the head!!! Excellent post!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]