FORUMS: list search recent posts

inconsistent timecode on layback to tape from FCP

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard O
inconsistent timecode on layback to tape from FCP
on Jul 13, 2007 at 2:11:16 pm

Hello
I'm hoping that someone will shed some light on a frustrating problem. I'm laying back my 10-minute programmes to tape - some to HDCam, some to Digibeta, all 25fps/50i. However, it has a tendency to lay it one frame late. ie. the clock is laid onto the striped tape at 09.59.30.01 And here's the tricky bit: it sometimes gets it right. Approximately 2/3 of the time it will lay it back accurately, and 1/3 of the time - WITHOUT CHANGING ANYTHING AT ALL - it will be one frame late! As its only a frame out I can't detect it until checking the playout (which means that approximately every third tape needs to be relaid). Does anyone have any clues to what could cause this inaccuracy?
Here's the setup:
Final Cut Pro 5 latest revison
AJA Kona 2
Sony HDWM2000 and Sony DVWA500P decks (same prob with both)
Using RS422 control through the Kona breakout card.

I've run out of settings to tweak. None of them stop the apparently random occurence of the 1f inaccuracy. And the guys that supply the kit are also at a loss, because its not a consistent and repeatable inaccuracy.

Enormous thanks to someone who could suggest ANY new things I could try!
regards
Richard Overall
London

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: inconsistent timecode on layback to tape from FCP
on Jul 13, 2007 at 2:45:09 pm

Are you down converting an HD sequence to SD tape? That could account for the latency.

Return to posts index

Richard O
on Jul 13, 2007 at 2:49:32 pm

Hello there
I'm doing both straight HD version and downconverts. There is a latency with the downconvert, but a +1 frame offset in the device settings takes care of that - but I still then get the 2/3 success rate! And its exactly the same when I go straight HD - I don't have to put an offset in then, but I still get a 2/3 ish success rate.
thanks for your interest!
Richard.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Jul 13, 2007 at 2:53:49 pm

Yeah, that's funky.

I'd try an email/phone call (they should be around in about 10 minutes or so) to AJA support and see what they say.

support@aja.com

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Richard O
on Jul 13, 2007 at 3:04:12 pm

Thanks - I'll try them shortly
regards
Richard

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved