FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere Motion Issues

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd at Fantastic Plastic
Premiere Motion Issues
on Jul 11, 2007 at 9:19:10 pm

Hi guys, forgive the duplicate post... I posted this also over in the Xena forum but there is rarely any traffic over there, so I thought I'd try here...maybe this is a crossover issue.

I have a serious problem with "motions" in Premiere Pro2 on our Aja Xena LHe system.

This machine spent quite a while back at the seller (Promax) recently for a wide variety of service issues, so all of its software and drivers should be absolutely up to date.

He is the latest issue:

"Motions" in Premiere do not function correctly. When attepting to "scale" an image, the image size does not change. The image stays at 100% size, even though the numbers on the scale show it to be of a different or changing size. My senior editor is a veteran Premiere expert and he confirms that I am not doing anything wrong or have any misplaced settings, etc. If I do anything else with OTHER Motion paramenters (such as rotate the image a little), then suddenly scaling works. But obviously that is not a solution.

Man, got to tell ya... I don't wish to knock Aja, but I've just about had it with this machine. It has had one issue after another after another. I just need a suite that is functional, one where I can sit down and immediately work. Not one where I seem to have to jump through endless hoops to do even the simpliest and most mundane of tasks EVERY SINGLE TIME... which is the present situation and has been since we bought it.

If anyone has any advice that will relieve my stress and crankiness it would be most appreciated.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Premiere Motion Issues
on Jul 11, 2007 at 9:37:27 pm

[Todd at Fantastic Plastic] "This machine spent quite a while back at the seller (Promax) recently for a wide variety of service issues, so all of its software and drivers should be absolutely up to date"

first bad idea, I would check to make sure that everything is current, your trusting your biz to a guess that it is OK.

""Motions" in Premiere do not function correctly. When attepting to "scale" an image, the image size does not change. The image stays at 100% size, even though the numbers on the scale show it to be of a different or changing size."

How is Premier not functioning correctly a Xena hardware issue? this is a premier issue it has nothing to do with the card in the machine.

"I don't wish to knock Aja, but I've just about had it with this machine. It has had one issue after another after another. I just need a suite that is functional, one where I can sit down and immediately work."

you did not buy the hardware from AJA how is it their fault?
why are you not posting this in the premier forum and bitching at Promax?

Todd
this really sounds as if there is more problem with your computer than the output card, a card which does not affect how PPro works internally for the issue you outline. The card and application have specific needs but you cannot relate to us if they have been met.

lastly
have you called AJA's tech support lines?

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

Todd at Fantastic Plastic
on Jul 12, 2007 at 1:11:00 am

[gary adcock] "I would check to make sure that everything is current"

It is.

[gary adcock] "How is Premier not functioning correctly a Xena hardware issue? this is a premier issue it has nothing to do with the card in the machine."

Ummm... maybe yes, maybe no. I wrestled with incorrect alpha channels and incorrectly importing stills for weeks, while begging both Promax and Aja for help. Then finally was told by Aja more or less "Hmm, yep guess that's a bug. It will be addressed in the next round of drivers... in a few weeks." So, I think you can see how I might just as easily suspect this could possbily be an Aja issue.

[gary adcock] "you did not buy the hardware from AJA how is it their fault?"

Well, if I buy a new Cadillac and it doesn't run right, it's just as likely that it's a GM problem, not the dealer's fault.

[gary adcock] "why are you not posting this in the premier forum and bitching at Promax?"

Rest assured that I am.

No, I do not know that this is an Aja issue. But I also don't know that it isn't. When one has out-of-town clients who have flown in and expect a certain level of both professionalism and functionality one tends to get frustrated and yell at whomever will listen and might be able to help. I'm not sure whether to point fingers at Promax, Aja, Adobe, or even Bill Gates... no one has been able to tell me yet, even the seller who brought the system back in house for three weeks of diagnosis. If this was the first serious functionality issue that I have ever had with this system, I might feel otherwise... but this is, oh, the 20th at least.

It sounds like you are a die-hard Aja fan, who almost gets offended at any potential criticism of the product. If that's the case, sorry to offend, but I'm not a happy camper. After going through five other systems through the years (which all functioned pretty much flawlessly) maybe I'm spoiled... but when a system costs more than ten times as much as my first car (or second one, now that I think about it), I need for it to simply work.

I don't want to be an unsatisfied customer. Good products, great customer support, and helpful people like the great folks I have met on the COW help my frustration. Being chided for asking for help does not.

If anyone else has any suggestions, I am all ears and will be infitnitely grateful.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jul 12, 2007 at 11:16:38 am

[Todd at Fantastic Plastic] "It sounds like you are a die-hard Aja fan, who almost gets offended at any potential criticism of the product"

Yes, I am a big AJA fan. But no I am not offended by criticism, I get a lot of it.

It was more the tone of your post, ( and please do not take offense)

you cam into the Kona Forums for mostly FCP users whining about how terrible AJA is and how it does not work with your Windows version of Premier. - Sorry but the wrong place to bitch when you offer little substantiation for your claim being an AJA issue.

[Todd at Fantastic Plastic] "If anyone else has any suggestions, I am all ears and will be infitnitely gratefu"

You have not given anyone here anything to go on to assist you, and I mentioned this is my first post also.

to help you we need

how is the machine configured
what software versions
what hardware versions
what else is on the machine
is it connected to the internet.

what kind format and frame rate video are you having issue with?

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

AlexHuber69
on Jul 12, 2007 at 1:50:09 pm

Sorry that I do not have any advice so I should keep my mouth shut but I will butt in anyway. I never post in this forum as my realm of expertise is cinematography but I do lurk here as I'm an Aja customer. I have to say that I must side with the original poster here. I do not sense that he is whining, he is obviously just frustrated with a problem that none of his vendors will claim. We have all been there. I too am both a Xena and Kona user and can say YUP there have been definite hardware and software issues with them in the past that Aja was slow to admit or fix. It happens. And frankly if I had experienced (and found a solution to) his problem myself he told me more than enough about his setup to have offered advice. I post in several forums and when I don't have a solution for someone I pretty much keep my mouth shut rather than admonish them for asking, because after all they asked for help, not attitude and a superiority complex. I'm sure like all of us the poster is a experienced respected professional and comes to these forums to be treated as such, not to be belittled like a child when asking for help.

Butt-in complete, butting out now

A

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]