FORUMS: list search recent posts

kona 3 hardware support for prores?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Saddler
kona 3 hardware support for prores?
on Jul 9, 2007 at 6:20:40 pm

So the new io will include a couple of things that the Kona 3 does not have; a hardware chip specifically to handle ProRes, and HDMI input/output. Judging from the fact that my dual 2.7 G5 can't even capture a stream of HD ProRes, I'm guessing that capturing with the Kona 3 means that lots of CPU power will be used. My question is how much (will I be able to capture ProRes HQ in FCS while also running other programs in Windows via Parallels w/o dropping frames? And more importantly, does the hardware chip in the new io accelerate only during capture, or does it also increase RT Extreme processing in the timeline by offloading ProRes related processing to the integrated hardware while editing? Also, what benefits come from the io's HDMI, can it do what the Intensity Pro does?

Return to posts index

uncompressed
Re: kona 3 hardware support for prores?
on Jul 9, 2007 at 7:51:56 pm

wow.

so you are getting a new machine?

what success have you had in the past capturing video while running parallels to do other intensive work?

you want the ioHD unless you are moving to an intel. it is the only product with ProRes encoding on board, period.

Return to posts index

Saddler
Re: kona 3 hardware support for prores?
on Jul 9, 2007 at 8:12:11 pm

I'm looking into upgrading. My dual 2.7 is struggling between mixing DVCPro HD clips of varying frame rates in a ProRes HQ timeline, adding lots of FX like SmoothCam, 3 way CCs, 55mm plugins, and sending lots of clips out to Shake, Motion, and Color for stabilization, tracking, retiming and grading. I recently upgraded from 2.5 to 5.5 GB of RAM and I'm still paging out, but the dual 2.7 CPUs are what's holding me back most - sometimes I'm spending almost half my time sitting around waiting for renders. The most recent FCS update from Apple said that it was further optimizing ProRes for G5s, but I think that Apple has decided to focus the large majority of their efforts on supporting the Intel architecture; something that I suspect will also be reflected in Panther.

I haven't run Parallels before since my main workstation is G5 based. I'm just hoping to be able to run Parallels smoothly with an octo-core Intel. Eventually I'd like to use a single system for both Mac and PC. I don't use my PC often, but I do have to have it for some apps like compressing videos w/ Rad Game Tools, or loading up assets in 3DSMax. Does anyone know if I'll be able to access my XServe RAID with Parallels via the dual channel fibre channel card?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]