FORUMS: list search recent posts

What AJA card and HD grading monitor for Apple set up ?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nigel Cooper
What AJA card and HD grading monitor for Apple set up ?
on Jul 4, 2007 at 2:21:43 pm

What AJA card and HD grading monitor for Apple set up?

Using a new Mac Pro intel machine I'm thinking of changing my grading set up as I've been convinced the way I'm doing it is not the most accurate.

I currently have the Apple Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core ntel Xeon machine with 4GB of RAM and 4 x internal 500GB WD Enterprise drives.

I have an Apple Cinema display 23" for FCP interface, but coming out of the second DVI port on the standard NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT card I have a Dell 24" LCD computer display with 1200x1920 resolution.

This Dell is being used for grading. I calibrated it using a Blue gel and by sending colour bars out from FCP. Looks pretty good to me, but from what I've been advised on a different (slightly heated) thread I could be doing it a better/more accurate way.

I've researched this a little and have come up with the following, please advise if this is correct, or if anyone has a better grading suggestion.

I shoot/edit on Sony XDCAM HD in native 1920x1080 25p mode at 35Mbps highest quality and I'm in PAL land UK.

I was thinking of leaving the NVIDIA graphics card and buying a second Apple 23" cinema display and having a dual-display set up as I need a bit more room for Final Cut Pro interface and windows across two screens.

I was then thinking of buying a AJA Kona LHe card so I can plug a 'proper' grading monitor up to my system for more accurate colours for colour grading etc.

For a monitor I was thinking of buying an 'ecinema' 23" HD grading monitor (see: http://www.ecinemasys.com).

Is this a good set up or is there a better way to go?

Also, I could not find the difference between the Kona LHe and the Kona LH, does anyone know which I would need?

Also, is that eCinama display anygood as it just looks like a regular Apple/Dell TFT with a bit of electrical modifications and HD/SID inputs. From what I can see you can't calibrate it at all.

I've been quoted

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: What AJA card and HD grading monitor for Apple set up ?
on Jul 4, 2007 at 2:37:44 pm

Nigel -
you want to do everything, and you only have $5000 US to do it.

you write -
I have an Apple Cinema display 23" for FCP interface, but coming out of the second DVI port on the standard NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT card I have a Dell 24" LCD computer display with 1200x1920 resolution.

REPLY - many people use the Dell 2407, but this is the lowest cost HD monitor on the market. There are products that use the Dell like the Teranex Clearvue (about $8000 US), but they have a box of electronics that goes with it for enhanced image. Many people have settled on the Panasonic BH-LH2600W ($3999 US), or the JVC 24" LCD (same price), and Sony has just released the new LMD-2450W (I am guessing over $4000 US). So all of these monitors are outside your budget. I am unaware of any eCinema monitor, or other hi quality monitor that is inexpensive, as you have listed.

YOU WRITE -
I was thinking of leaving the NVIDIA graphics card and buying a second Apple 23" cinema display and having a dual-display set up as I need a bit more room for Final Cut Pro interface and windows across two screens.

REPLY -
If you wish to continue using an Apple Cinema or Dell 2407 as your main video monitor, you can use the AJA HDP to convert the HD-SDI signal to a DVI signal. IF you find this an acceptable way to work, and you trust these LCD screens.

YOU WRITE -
I was then thinking of buying a AJA Kona LHe card so I can plug a 'proper' grading monitor up to my system for more accurate colours for colour grading etc.

REPLY - you can certainly get a Kona LHe (which is for your MacPro), and this will give you an HD-SDI output, as well as a HD Y Pb Pr output to feed a professional monitor.

YOU WRITE -
For a monitor I was thinking of buying an 'ecinema' 23" HD grading monitor (see: http://www.ecinemasys.com).
REPLY - these monitors are EXPENSIVE. I can't comment on the quality, but you dont have the budget to get both the AJA card, and this monitor. As a matter of fact, you dont' have the budget to just get this monitor.

YOU WRITE =
Also, I could not find the difference between the Kona LHe and the Kona LH, does anyone know which I would need?

REPLY - you need the Kona LHe or Kona 3. the Kona LH is for PCI-X computers, like the older MAC G5 dual 2.7 computer.

YOU WRITE -
Also, is that eCinama display anygood as it just looks like a regular Apple/Dell TFT with a bit of electrical modifications and HD/SID inputs. From what I can see you can't calibrate it at all.

REPLY - this is a question of great debate. Some people love the eCinema, some people say that there is no difference between this monitor and everything else on the market. In my opinion, you are a fool if you purchase any monitor without seeing it for yourself first. These are expensive items, and to listen to anyone (including me) means absolutely nothing (what do I know). There is no worse feeling than spending $4000 US for a new monitor, and then saying "this looks no better than the Dell we already own".

I've been quoted

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]