FORUMS: list search recent posts

Black and Code with aM2000 deck

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Gary
Black and Code with aM2000 deck
on Jul 3, 2007 at 7:53:36 am

Hello all,

I've got an LHe and I'm having issue with Black and Coding to a Sony M2000 digi deck. Let me first say that Assemble edits work fine...once I get some code on the tape:

The problem is very intermittent and when it works it doesn't work very well. Meaning, if I use the Edit to Tape window and tell the deck to start laying black at 00:58:00;00 most of the time it won't and it just uses TC from the deck, but when it does work it will actually start somewhere within a minute or two of that setting...00:58:28;19 for example (somewhat random).

The good news is that if I can get some pre hour one black successfully down on the tape, then the Assemble edit function works very well--frame accurate.

What's frustrating is that the settings (via the menus) I use on the deck aren't very repeatable. What works one time, won't the next.

Does anyone know what the proper settings for the M2000 are when connected to an LHe? And even taking a step back, do I need to adjust any Kona or FCP settings as well?

Or is there someway I can use the deck settings to lay some user defined code down on the tape and then just do the Assemble edit...which works every time.

I just recently got the card, it's in a MacPro (10.4.9 and QT 7.1.6) and I'm using the latest build of the AJA software.

thank you in advance.
BG

Return to posts index

Brian Gary
Re: Black and Code with aM2000 deck
on Jul 3, 2007 at 7:55:10 am

One more thing....I'm connected to the deck via SDI.

thanks.
b

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jul 3, 2007 at 12:26:04 pm

[Brian Gary] "The good news is that if I can get some pre hour one black successfully down on the tape, then the Assemble edit function works very well--frame accurate."

Thats part of the problem, with an assemble edit, my guess is that every time you try to lay to tape, the deck moves the "assemble"point forward on the tape the length of the clip you used (or aborted) on the previous attempt.

the Black and Code button in at the center top of the edit to tape window. That should allow you to correctly stripe your tape to create a master. Then your troubles should go away.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

Brian Gary
on Jul 3, 2007 at 4:10:30 pm

Hey Gary, how're doing? Sorry if I wasn't clear....

I am attempting to perform the separate action of Black and Code by pressing the propper button a the top of the Edit to Tape window.

My issue I belive is in the deck settings: VITC, PRESET, REGEN etc. Which are all contained in the menus accessed via the front panel.

For exampl I got it to work correctly last night by switch it LTC, but this morning that wouldn't work...swithcing the deck to VITC worked??

That's why my initial question was is there a way to use the deck's presets to lay down some code so I could THEN peform an Assemble edit, which the LHe does perfectly.

Thank you.
b

Return to posts index

cowcowcow
gary adcock
on Jul 3, 2007 at 4:29:34 pm

[Brian Gary] "Hey Gary, how're doing"

good, thanks for asking.

"For exampl I got it to work correctly last night by switch it LTC, but this morning that wouldn't work...swithcing the deck to VITC worked??"

VItc (I usually set it to both in FCP just in case)

"My issue I belive is in the deck settings: VITC, PRESET, REGEN etc. Which are all contained in the menus accessed via the front panel."

correct, the deck manual is on sonys website,

but have you tried to negotiate the menus with a monitor connected to the "Super Out" so you can see the menu settings? that is much easier than trying to do this on the front of the deck.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

Bill Crawford
on Jul 3, 2007 at 5:08:49 pm

Hi Brian,

I have a 2000 and when it comes to blacking and coding a tape, I just use the internal signal generator to do this. It's very easy to do and does not tie up an editor to be a signal source.

If I'm in a hurry, and don't have a pre-blacked tape, then I just black the first few minutes and insert edit the B&T on the deck again using the internal signal generator, then output the sequence using an assemble edit. Set the output for pad at the end of the sequence and you can output a master pretty quickly without having to completely black a tape.

Bill

Return to posts index

Brian Gary
on Jul 7, 2007 at 5:18:59 am

Hey Bill,

Is this something accessed via the front menus? Is it a fairly straight forward proceedure that's covered in the manual?

I'll be renting this deck on occassion so I obviously want to maximize the time.

Thank you in advance.

BG

Return to posts index

Bill Crawford
on Jul 7, 2007 at 1:44:09 pm

Hi Brian,

Yes, it's very easy. You can have the facility you are renting it from tell you how.

If they look at you with a blank look, then you can find the info in the operators guide. If they don't have an operators guide to share, the following should get you through.

Assuming that they have not created custom menus, you can see the "Video In" choice on the home page, "F1". Press and hold this for more than 3 seconds and you can select the internal signal generator. If the internal generator is not set to black, you'll need to set the internal signal generator to Black - do that by selecting "Menu" again on the home page - 'F5". Use the Multi Control knob to select parameter 710 "Int Vid SG". Press "Select" then "-" or "+" to select black, or color bars. Exit out and you are ready to go.

When you want to insert color bars, do the same thing but choose color bars on 710. To insert tone, go to parameter 808 and set the 1KHz tone.

To set the input on the audio to the signal generator, press and hold the ch 1 input for more than three seconds as well.

Good luck - you'll find this a great way to stripe tapes.

Bill

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]