FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona 3 & BVW-500 Digibeta - Green Line

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean ONeil
Kona 3 & BVW-500 Digibeta - Green Line
on Jul 3, 2007 at 1:08:11 am

This is my first experience mastering Digibeta with the Kona 3. When I use "Edit to Tape" (FCP6.01, Mac Pro, Slot 3, Set to 4x), the recorded video shows a green line at the bottom of the screen (need underscan mode to see it). This line is only there when using ETT. With regular playback it's fine.

I don't know if this is a genlock issue or if the card is defective.

I've used Decklink cards prior to this, and Media 100 prior to that. And I never had to worry about genlock issues before. I could loop the playback and it would pull sync. The Kona 3 doesn't seem to work that way. Regardless, I think I have it synced fine (just using Freerun and not looping the input). It seems to work. It gives me that stupid green line.

Any ideas?

Sean

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: Kona 3 & BVW-500 Digibeta - Green Line
on Jul 3, 2007 at 3:29:00 am

What's your Digibeta's ref set to?

Try Setting it to incoming video instead of external.

SInce the K3 gives a clean signal without the Deck involved, there's something set wrong in the deck.

A blackburst would help in the situation.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Sean ONeil
on Jul 3, 2007 at 6:49:04 am

[JeremyG] "What's your Digibeta's ref set to?

Try Setting it to incoming video instead of external."

Normally set to internal, but I tried both.

[JeremyG] "SInce the K3 gives a clean signal without the Deck involved, there's something set wrong in the deck."

Nope. Been running great for 7 or 8 years now. All are other machines have Decklinks and they still work fine with it. The problem is only with the new Intel machine that has the Kona 3.

[JeremyG] "A blackburst would help in the situation."

Have one. Tried it. Plugged into the deck (and set for ref in), plugged it into the Kona's genlock, and plugged it into both. None of those setups got rid of the green line.

I probably have a bad card. Good times. Thanks though.

Sean

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Jul 3, 2007 at 1:23:42 pm

[Sean ONeil] "plugged it into the Kona's genlock"

DId you then set to Kona CP for ref in?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Sean ONeil
on Jul 3, 2007 at 4:17:01 pm

[JeremyG] "DId you then set to Kona CP for ref in?"

Yes. I've tried every combination of sync reference possible.

The deck IS syncing. I can master tapes all day long. I just get that green line. Is it safe to assume this isn't a genlock issue.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jul 3, 2007 at 1:32:09 pm

[Sean ONeil] "'ve used Decklink cards prior to this, and Media 100 prior to that. And I never had to worry about genlock issues before. I could loop the playback and it would pull sync."

What is the deck set to receive as a source for Sync?.
Looping out thru the G/Y on the component out or from the REF out should suffice.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

Sean ONeil
on Jul 3, 2007 at 4:18:46 pm

[gary adcock] "What is the deck set to receive as a source for Sync?.
Looping out thru the G/Y on the component out or from the REF out should suffice."

It's normally set to recieve sync from the input video. But I've tried reference as well.

Like I mentioned to Jeremy, it syncs but I get that green line.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 3, 2007 at 5:45:55 pm

the "green line" means so little without having a waveform monitor to examine what on earth is going on. SO, we are going to try this. I assume that you are doing an edit to tape or print to tape as an insert edit.

1) Lets assume you have a Horita BSG-50 (not a BG50) color black generator.

2) send black to your DVW-500 Digi beta VTR - send it to the Ref Video input, and MAKE SURE that you have the 75 ohm terminator switch to ON.

3) send black to your AJA Kona product, and MAKE SURE that you have the input terminated with a BNC terminator (the KL or K2 or K3 box have a LOOPING Reference Input - you MUST terminate this line with a BNC terminator.

4) as you have done before, in the Kona control panel, click on control, and put the radio button to EXT REF, NOT internal reference in .

5) do your output - do you have the "green line". If you still have it, forget print to tape, for now, just hit the play and record button on the Digi Beta VTR to record a signal. When you do this, do you still get the green line ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Sean ONeil
on Jul 4, 2007 at 7:22:18 pm

Bob, thanks. Yes I have done all that and I still had the green line.

The problem's been solved and it was the stupidest, simplest thing ever. Trashing the Final Cut preferences did the trick. What's sucks is that I trashed them earlier per instructions from AJA's tech support, but restored them with FCP Rescue. So it didn't fix anything the first time.

I don't know what was going on, but it smelled like the "green slug" problem people have had (myself included). It's as if "blank video", which is supposed to be black, was instead green. I may have not mentioned this, but the problem occurred only when using ETT, and the green line was only present during black parts of the sequence, as well as when using ETT's Black and Code feature.

Seems there's something wrong with my digibeta that went unnoticed till now. It has not been recording or playing back the bottom line of video. It substitutes the bottom line with "blank video" (not to get too technical here). However, in this case, it was recording green. Trashing the preferences fixed it and it is now black again.

Anyway, that's the problem with troubleshooting when you get a new system. You suspect the wrong thing and overlook more obvious things (like trashing prefs).

Thanks everyone for the help.

Sean

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]