FORUMS: list search recent posts

KONA 2- 720p 23.98 DVCPro HD settings are missing after 4.0 update

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Sommerfeld
KONA 2- 720p 23.98 DVCPro HD settings are missing after 4.0 update
on Jun 27, 2007 at 2:14:22 am

I need some help here please:
After updating the KONA 2 Control Panel software to version 4.0, the 720p DVCPro HD options have gone screwy. I'm now missing all 720p 23.98 components. The 720p DVCPro HD Easy Setup is still available but all of the components within it don't match up. I cannot even customize the the Easy Setup to make it work because the 720p choices are no longer there after the Kona 2 4.0 update.

Here's how the 720p DVCPro HD Easy Setup looks:

Sequence Preset: AJA Kona2: 1080psf 23.98 DVCPro HD
Capture Preset: AJA Kona2: 1080i 23.98 DVCProHD
Device Control Preset: AJA Kona2: 720p 59.94 Varicam Panasonic VTR
Playback Output Video: AJA Kona 1080psf23.98 8 Bit (1920 x 1080)

Everything was working fine before the version 4.0 update. I've tried uninstalling the 4.0 software and reinstalling the 3.4 version but it won't install. My current project is in 23.98 DVCPro HD and I'm dead in the water until this problem is resolved. AJA tech support are closed but I'll be calling them as soon as they are open. In the meantime, all help would be greatly appreciated.

System details:
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz 4.5 GB RAM (8 slot)
OSX 10.4.10
Sonnet Tempo-X eSATA 4+4
SATA/eSATA Hard Drives (internal/external, media is on a RAID1)
KONA 2
AJA Io
FCP 6

Thanks in advance,
Simon.

Simon Sommefeld
Redwood City CA

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: KONA 2- 720p 23.98 DVCPro HD settings are missing after 4.0 update
on Jun 27, 2007 at 2:31:11 am

Simon,

What exactly are you unable to do right now? Playback and monitor, capture??? What is it you are unable to chgange that has you dead in the water?

Whe you installed that 4.0 drivers dod you uninstall the 3.4 drivers first as AJA recommends?

David

"No job is worth doing more than once..."

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Post-production Supervisor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Simon Sommerfeld
on Jun 27, 2007 at 2:49:52 am

Thanks for your speedy response David.

I'm unable to playback without the system choking on the 1080psf sequence preset that FCP 6 has chosen in leiu of 720p.

No, unfortunately I did not uninstall 3.4 before installing 4.0. I didn't see anything informing me to do that. I did use the Uninstaller in 4.0 before reinstalling 3.4 however, but when 3.4 is installing it gets to a point where it says "there is nothing to install". So I'm stuck with using 4.0 or nothing. I'm going to have to get back to 3.4 somehow.

I've actually just nixed using the KONA presets and am using the stock FCP DVCPro HD 720p24 preset. My timeline is running again but I've got no external monitoring.

Best,
Simon

Simon Sommefeld
Redwood City CA

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 27, 2007 at 3:01:22 am

Simon,

I can get ya up and monitoring in no time flat, but, I absolutely have to go walk my dog this very second before he pops.

If you want immediate help feel free to call me on my cell in L.A. at (3-ten)- seven-29-seven-906. My dogie won't mind...

Return to posts index

Simon Sommerfeld
on Jun 27, 2007 at 3:05:12 am

Cheers David,

I would never come between a man and his best friend!

Just post me your wisdom when you return. I can live without external monitoring for a while. I'm up and editing again so no worries.

Best,
Simon.

Simon Sommefeld
Redwood City CA

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 27, 2007 at 3:29:26 am

Okay, dog mission accomplished, now onto your mission.

How exactly are you monitoring? Kona 2 is SDI I/O, so how are you turning getting that signal into your monitor?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
oops disregard my previous post
on Jun 27, 2007 at 3:35:28 am

Okay, Kona 2 is actually not SDI I/O like the Kona 3, its more like my Kona LH, which is good.

So, depending upon your monitor all we nee to do is change the Video Playback settings in the view menu and you'll be good to go. So, what type of monitor are you using?

Return to posts index

Simon Sommerfeld
Re: oops disregard my previous post
on Jun 27, 2007 at 4:20:25 am

Hi David,

Yes, KONA 2 is SDI I/O , just like the KONA 3. It's more or less the same as 3 (missing a cross conversion I think, and doesn't do 2K) but it is only PCI-X

I'm feeding a downcoverted 525i 29.97 signal to a Hi Res SD CRT monitor via SDI. I've just started working in HD and must get myself a proper HD monitor for that.... Any recommendations?

Anyway, I'm golden again - up and running 100%.
I managed to find and trash a few stray KONA 4.0 driver files on the system. This has allowed me to reinstall 3.4 OK. All of the 720p 23.98 prefs are there again and I have my external monitoring back and all, Amen!

All this has fried my brains a little I'm afraid.... I think a quiet sit down with a beer is in order.

David, many thanks to your quick responses and kind offers to help, even while on walkies!

All the best,

Simon.

Simon Sommefeld
Redwood City CA

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Good job
on Jun 27, 2007 at 4:25:53 am

Well done!!! Its much more rewarding to fix these things yourself.

BTW, always uninstall the Kona drivers before updating to the new ones.

Return to posts index

Simon Sommerfeld
Re: Good job
on Jun 27, 2007 at 4:30:30 am

Wilco on that!

Best,

Simon.

Simon Sommefeld
Redwood City CA

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jun 27, 2007 at 1:27:23 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Okay, Kona 2 is actually not SDI I/O like the Kona 3, its more like my Kona LH, which is good."

DRW

where do you get this? the Kona 2 is the precursor to the Kona 3 card, it is only digital in so single and dual link, sd and hd with analog monitoring.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 27, 2007 at 4:10:02 pm

Gary,

I almost bought a used Kona 2 last year, so I was certain that it was SDI I/O as you see in my first post. But, Googling turned up two sites, both showing the wrong image showing all kinds of analog I/O just like am LH, so that kind of messed up my thought process as you saw in my second post.

David

"No job is worth doing more than once..."

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Post-production Supervisor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]