FORUMS: list search recent posts

Edit to tape accuracy

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Sadwelkar
Edit to tape accuracy
on Jun 19, 2007 at 3:51:10 am

I could have searched this before posting, and its probably been dealt with, but these things tend to change with time and FCP/driver versions.

Using an AJA Kona card how accurate is Edit to tape. Spot on all the time, or sometimes. And with deck directly connected to FCP system vs. connected via a router.

Or has anyone seen a situation where other systems and other decks in the facility do edit to tape correctly with the exact same decks/router but FCP-Kona cannot?

I'm assuming we are generally on FCP 5 up.

Neil

FCP Editor, Mumbai, India.
Completely PAL.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: Edit to tape accuracy
on Jun 19, 2007 at 4:04:48 am

One thing to do after every install is to go into your user/or system settings and set your playback offset to zero. FCP defaults this to 4 frames (don't ask me why).

Generally when going to digital decks the KONA is spot on, but there are tests youcan do (record burned in TC to tape and then recapture it and lay it back) and you can se if there is any ofset on your edit to tape.

I have found the KONA's to be very acurate when going from K to deckeven and long distances (100 feet), and I ahve also routed it through a junction box with no issues.

David

Peace and Love :)
Read my Blog
http://blogs.creativecow.net/DavidBattistella

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 19, 2007 at 7:32:08 am

ALways spot on for me.

Shane

Littlefrog Post
http://www.lfhd.net

Return to posts index

weevie833
on Jun 19, 2007 at 4:49:52 pm

insert edits not always accurate, though recent drivers have improved. there have been times where I needed to replace a shot on an already output master, and I have had trouble with FCP not cooperating with the output to in/out, video only -- mainly with error messages like that it cannot output a selection less than one frame or something like that when clearly the setup is correct. [btw, I ALWAYS output from the Viewer, not the canvas -- FCP 3 problem workaround with mixed resolutions that I have continued to do with FCP 5].

I have had to sometimes make a much larger in/out selection to layback to tape than necessary to avoid this issue, or save/quit/delete prefs/tiger cache cleaner-medium-all levels/restart. then it works properly. I don't know whether this is an CP issue [which I suspect], a AJA issue [not likely], or the fact that I use an Adaptec serial adapter for R-422 patching.

Hate to say it, but this is the one thing in FCP that I wish was exactly like Avid. Never ever had a problem with Avid with anything on output.

steve covello

Return to posts index

Jeff Bernstein
on Jun 21, 2007 at 7:09:20 am

Please note that there were MAJOR changes to Edit To Tape for FCP 6.x. One of them was to pass timecode off to the video card/driver to ensure accuracy.

Those of use who have experienced hair loss laying off to HDCAM SR and D5 can now cancel their appointments at the Hair Club for Men.

The key is making sure your Deck Presets in FCP are correct. As you pointed out, FCP really needs a template system for decks just like an Avid. Thus, you are forced to test your config ahead of time. But once you have it dialed in for your deck, it now stays consistent.

Jeff Bernstein
Digital Desktop Consulting
323-653-7611

Return to posts index

George Bellias
on Jun 22, 2007 at 4:57:21 am

That is great to hear!!! I have had extremely frustrating experiences with edit to tape accuracy outputting to D-5 at my studio. I just worked at a different studio last week with the same setup as mine and they have the same problem with D-5 laybacks. I was happy that it wasn't just my system but sad that it was a known issue. Anyway, I'm relieved that this issue was addressed.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bernstein
on Jun 22, 2007 at 8:17:37 am

Relief is the understatement of the day! 8-)

Jeff Bernstein

Digital Desktop Consulting
Apple Pro Video VAR
XSAN Certified

323-653-7611

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]