FORUMS: list search recent posts

DA88 8CH AES Capture with TC via Kona3 KBox

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
griffisart
DA88 8CH AES Capture with TC via Kona3 KBox
on Jun 13, 2007 at 8:54:30 pm

I'm needing to rent a DA88 for capture into FCP via the Kona3 K-Box. Does anyone have any suggestion on which model to rent, and how this should be configured. I need to capture 8CH with Timecode via AES.

Your help is appreciated, thanks
Ted

We also could use a Kona IO instead if this proves to be problematic.

Return to posts index

weevie833
Re: DA88 8CH AES Capture with TC via Kona3 KBox
on Jun 13, 2007 at 9:47:07 pm

Shouldn't matter which model you rent as long as it has RS-422 control and AES, and the tapes recorded with proper SMPTE TC.

I used an DA-88 [the old old version] with kona 2 and it worked fine, but I found the transport on the DA-88 to be INCREDIBLY slow.

If you can afford it, try to get the most modern version available -- DA-98?

I also had a lot of problems with TC breaks and pre/post roll, though that was likely more an issue with the tape op on set than the deck or FCP system. I was using the same logging TC as the DBeta tapes, which were done by someone else on set. If you are doing the same [as opposed to logging/capturing directly from DA-88 from scratch], be sure to modify your clips from A/V to audio only/8-tracks, and change the source tape ID BEFORE you digitize - ypu will not be able to change it afterwards.

If you are then going to batch digitize, do test of a couple clips first to see if it captures all 8 tracks in one pass, or whether it does multiple passes [not good]. If it does multiple passes, you may need to manually modify capture settings, or re-log the clips by dragging old log info into the log window and modifying the reel ID to create new clips.

This was not a fun procedure, as you can see. hopefully, you are logging from scratch.

steve covello

Return to posts index

griffisart
on Jun 14, 2007 at 1:44:19 pm

Thanks for the help, could you share what your "device control" settings ended up as?
What did you set your RS422 protocol as?

Thanks
Ted

Return to posts index

weevie833
on Jun 15, 2007 at 1:12:49 am

Be sure that the Device Control Settings in Audio/Video Settings is set to something other than a FW device. Try setting it to a Sony VTR RS-422 setting as if it was a beta or DBeta deck.

steve covello

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]