FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pros and Cons of Kona 3 vs Kona LHE

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
richard
Pros and Cons of Kona 3 vs Kona LHE
on Jun 12, 2007 at 7:05:03 pm

Hi,
I have a new 8-core mac. I do mostly broadcast graphics and the occasional film project. I want to make sure that I get the card that will best suit my needs. I was thinking of the Kona LHE. This will handle HD but not true 2k as I understand it. I use also FCP and want to know if the Kona 3 acceleration with FCP is better in that card.

I think the Kona 3 is overkill for me. In terms of the compressed LHE card I was hoping I can use this card for previewing my work on my monitor ( especially for film work). In the past I have just worked with previews in ram on the studio display from Combustion when doing film work. I guess in a nutshell I am wondering what the true benefits the Kona 3 has for someone who won't be using the I/O in a facility environment with decks and TK and wants something to basically monitor work, speed up FCP RT effects for SD and HD graphics/vfx.
I would appreciate any advice.

thanks.
Richard

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: Pros and Cons of Kona 3 vs Kona LHE
on Jun 12, 2007 at 9:07:16 pm

What format do you work in and do you need any upconvert functionality?

The KOna does not speed up rt effects, it only handles scaling on certain codecs which leaves a little more processing power for rt effects, but if you are working in uncompressed, none of this matters. CPU and drive speed are really what is going to speed up your machine, not a Kona card, just wanted to make that clear.

Return to posts index

richard
on Jun 13, 2007 at 2:29:49 am

I work in FCP in SD most of the time (uncompressed using graphics that have been made with the animation codec). I don't plan on upconverting. I am really looking for a solution that will let me work in SD and HD (pro res) and might be able to playback 2k ( although I have been doing that in ram and film work is a very occasional pat of my work). From what I have read the compressed LHE lets you do most of this.
Thanks,
Richard

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Jun 13, 2007 at 3:12:27 am

If you need 2K, go for Kona 3.

The LH has analog inputs (Kona 3 does not) and the LH does not support up-conversion (the kona 3 does).

KOna 3 also does dual link, the LH does not.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jun 13, 2007 at 2:57:09 pm

[richard] " am really looking for a solution that will let me work in SD and HD (pro res) and might be able to playback 2k ( although I have been doing that in ram and film work is a very occasional pat of my work). From what I have read the compressed LHE lets you do most of this. "

Not 2K.

you need the dual HDSDI ports on the Kona3 cards for DL and 2K production, the LHE does not offer you the ability to do this.

The Kona 3 also offers up and cross conversion, neither are available on the LHe card.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 14, 2007 at 10:01:32 am

[richard] "This will handle HD but not true 2k as I understand it. I use also FCP and want to know if the Kona 3 acceleration with FCP is better in that card. "

There is no additional "acceleration" with the Kona 3. Both Kona cards scale up HDV and DVCPro HD mateiral on the fly.

Kona 3 can do 2K, LHe cannot.

Kona 3 can perform SD to HD Upconvert in realtime. LHe cannot.

Kona 3 can perform 720p - 1080i / 1080i - 720p cross-conversion in realtime. LHe cannot.

Those are the big differences. We use the cross conversion feature almost daily in our day to day work. We get a lot of 720p productions that have to be delivered in 1080i. We'll either cross convert during capture or edit in 720p and make the conversion during the mastering process.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Broadcast and independent productions.

All Things Apple Podcast! http://cowcast.creativecow.net/all_things_apple/index.html

Read my blog! http://blogs.creativecow.net/WalterBiscardi

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]