FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motu V3HD

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Rubasch
Motu V3HD
on Jun 5, 2007 at 2:06:23 am

Hey you Kona and Aja faithful....what do you think of the Motu V3HD? This looks like a real promising product and gives the Kona I/O HD a run. Just saw an ad on the back of Digital Content Producer but the website was a "coming soon" splash screen. Not a real confidence booster.

Still, up and down converts, all outputs live....

Anyone?

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
Re: Motu V3HD
on Jun 5, 2007 at 2:18:39 am

I saw the same thing and thought, "Where did this come from. Is it geared towards audio pros?"

The IO HD still has built in ProRes support while the MOTU only has DVCPROHD support. I'm not trying to knock MOTU, but AJA is a known industry proven video company and has an excellent track recorc. MOTU is a great company, but this is their first venture into video that I know of.

It is interesting and I do like all of the flashy lights on it:)

-Russ

Return to posts index

Andy Edwards
on Jun 5, 2007 at 7:19:07 pm

I got the DP Magazine over a week ago and wondered the same thing. I posted the same question on another forum and no one ever responded. No one talked about it during NAB, unless I missed it. Looks like an interesting FCP alternative. I can't find any pricing? DVCPRO HD vs. ProRes might be the kicker, but it all depends on what format you need.

Andy Edwards

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jun 5, 2007 at 8:18:31 pm

[Andy Edwards] "No one talked about it during NAB, unless I missed it. "

you did not miss it at NAB it was not there, and the web site is not up.

Motu makes great audio products, but this is the first foray into Video tools.
that alone would make me cautious.

they claim DVCPROHD on windows via premier, but premier does not support DVCPROHD on mac or windows. I wonder how they are getting around that.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 5, 2007 at 8:55:07 pm

Rich -
if you have to make a living with this equipment - is AJA's $3495 price too much money for you? If I have to make a living with this equipment, and I had a gun to my head, and someone said "ok, no AJA for you - pick something else" - I would choose the Blackmagic Eclipse in a HEARTBEAT before venturing into an unknown product from MOTU, that has zero video background.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Andy Edwards
on Jun 5, 2007 at 10:57:58 pm

Well Bob, maybe V3HD will become the next "Play...trinity" vaporware that never gets off the ground! You sure can't go wrong with AJA hardware as their track record is amazing. Now hurry up AJA and ship the new IO-HD would ya......

Andy Edwards

Return to posts index

Jon T Foster
on Jun 6, 2007 at 2:14:10 am

i saw this product at the Motu "whisper suite" at NAB this year. took me into the suite, showed me a picture, went over the specs verbally, i asked some questions, i told them i was suprised this is what the "meeting" was about. they had called me 2 months prior to NAB asking me if I had time to meet with them at NAB. mind you the company nor myself has ever sold a MOTU product and we're not dealers for them...i'm guessing they scoured the AJA/BMD sites for potential dealers/customers to show it to at NAB. they didn't make me sign an NDA, a little viral marketing at it's finest.

so we wrapped up the chat over the picture of the unit, i thought it was time to go. then they asked me if I wanted to see it...took me into another section of the suite where they showed it working with Final Cut, had multiple monitors up showing the output capabilities. the whole time i kept thinking that if these guys has this product out a year ago or even 6 months ago, they might have had some sort of a fighting chance, but even then it would have been tough. but showing this on the heels of the ioHD announcement, forget about it.

One thing that sent the demo wheels spinning was when I asked if it could do SD-SD conversion, like the Kona 3 and ioHD. no dice.

the only thing i saw remotely interesting was there were a few more audio in/outs, but those few features are so far from making me ever think about spec-ing that box over an AJA ioHD. AJA all day.

Jon Foster

Sales Engineer

Niche Video Products, Inc.

Atlanta, GA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]