FORUMS: list search recent posts

KONA CARD AND EXTERNAL MONITORS

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
DAN811
KONA CARD AND EXTERNAL MONITORS
on Jun 4, 2007 at 9:47:58 pm

Hi there

I'm grading some TVCs on using FCP5.0 [G5 Quad] and KONA LH and am a bit worried that what I'm seeing on my external PAL Sony PVM-14L5, which I have just calibrated, isn't right.

My understanding of the RGB and YUV space issues are that YUV [ie all my 10bit clips in FCP] should appear darker and duller on my computer monitor compared with the Sony. Whilst they are darker they seem more saturated on the computer screen [Which is also calibrated]. Is this right? Although all my clips are legally safe [I've used the Broadcast levels filter] I'm worried they'll appear overly saturated when broadcast.

I have another graded TVC that was finished elsewhere that looks too light and a little washed out on the SONY...so it has me worried about my setup. Are there any settings in the KONA control panel that could be causing this?

All my footage has been graded on a timeline using 10 BIT High Precision YUV rendering.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Danny

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: KONA CARD AND EXTERNAL MONITORS
on Jun 5, 2007 at 12:12:41 am

Danny writes -
Although all my clips are legally safe [I've used the Broadcast levels filter] I'm worried they'll appear overly saturated when broadcast.

Danny -
I am sorry, but you could have the worlds greatest monitor expert with you in your room right now, or you could own a professional CRT calibration probe, but NO ONE can judge legal broadcast levels from simply looking at a LCD or CRT monitor. You MUST use a WAVEFORM MONITOR to judge levels, and see if your levels are oversaturated for broadcast. To answer the question "but isn't there a cheaper way" - NO.

And when you find a way to make the image on a PVM-14L5/1 look exactly like an Apple Cinema display, you let me know, because I will make you rich.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]