FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question on compression and exporting...

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
saeed faridzadeh
Question on compression and exporting...
on Jun 1, 2007 at 3:42:40 am

I'm working on a title sequence for an upcoming movie, where I have to put in the names and titles over the edited sequence. I was given a 7 gig file that is a full HD 1920x1080 AJA Kona 2Vuy codec.

The problem lies that I need to put this file onto my PC, and I've been having problems getting it over, even with the Kona drivers. I decided it would be best to actually export the whole clip into an image sequence to be able to work with better, since working with individual frames is what I'm used to, and prefer.

What format would be the best to export this movie into an image sequence from FCP to allow for minimum, if at all possible, no loss of quality. Also, would taking the rendered out image sequence back into final cut and exporting it back into a movie with the same codec cause any problems? Or should everything run smooth?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: Question on compression and exporting...
on Jun 1, 2007 at 1:36:10 pm

Download the AJA codec for windows:

http://www.aja.com/ajashare/AJASoftwareCodec111Setup.exe

In order to play uncompressed 1080 content, you have to have a very speedy disk array 200+ MB/Sec.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 1, 2007 at 2:51:22 pm

[saeed faridzadeh] "AJA Kona 2Vuy codec"

Saeed,

This codec is an old codec specifically for the rather ancient, now unsupported, Pinnacle Cin

Return to posts index

Saeed Faridzadeh
on Jun 1, 2007 at 5:54:53 pm

yes thank you.
I was thinking exporting to full uncompressed Targas, but I just wanted to make sure.

For the DVCProHD portion you mentioned, you're talking about creating a proxy while I do the work, then switch back to the targas for the final render, before I bring it back to FCP. Correct?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 1, 2007 at 6:24:15 pm

[Saeed Faridzadeh] "I was thinking exporting to full uncompressed Targas, but I just wanted to make sure."

24 bit targas are uncompressed, but without the alpha channel -- these are fine for your background video as I would not imagine you would need transparency.

[Saeed Faridzadeh] "For the DVCProHD portion you mentioned, you're talking about creating a proxy while I do the work, then switch back to the targas for the final render, before I bring it back to FCP. Correct?"

Actually I wasn't certain if you'd be compositing your final title seq. over the video, or if that was being done by the editors after you deliver titles with and alpha channel. But, if you're delivering the finished comp. to them, then yes, working with a proxy DVCProHD file for your BG will make playback easier, and when you're done then you can composite your titles over the uncompressed TGA seq. and output the completed comp in the format of your choice.

Good luck,
David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Post-production Supervisor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]