FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona3 / IOLA / HDV Deck

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill
Kona3 / IOLA / HDV Deck
by
on May 25, 2007 at 2:16:51 pm

I have encountered an I/O nightmare. I will try to break this down as simply as possible . I am looking for some input on a streamlined system to incorporate all of these devices.

This is what I have:

Input Devices:

JVC BR-D75OU Digital S
SONY HVR-M10U HDV
SONY PVW-2800 BetaSP
DVD Player (yet, another analog source)

AJA Hardware:

KONA 3
IOLA
HD 10AVA

Rundown of integration so far.....

BR-D75 i/o Kona 3 via BOB SDI 1 / BNC AES 1/2
PVW-1800 i/o IOLA YPbPr / XLR 1/2 (a/b)
DVD in only IOLA S Video / Audio 3/4 (c/d)

HVR 10MU this is my stickler. Currently it is connected direct firewire. Obviously FCP is confused between IOLA and the HVR. I have a workaround implemented but it is complicated. I purchased the HD10AVA with the purpose of running it through the KONA3 for both SD(dvcam->8bit UC) and HD (hdv->dvcprohd)This is the suggested method throughout out the cow correct?

Please correct me if I am wrong but this is how I see the HD10AVA working nicely with everything else:

Component out and rca-balanced xlr into HD10AVA. SDI out to SDI2 of KONA3 BOB. Then when using HVR, I switch the AJA Control Panel to SDI2 and Embedded Audio.(BR-D75 uses SDI1 and AES BNC 1/2)

I am still in the dark concerning the deck control and tracking the media/tape relationship using the HD 10AVA.

Return to posts index

Bill
Re: Kona3 / IOLA / HDV Deck
by
on May 25, 2007 at 2:26:49 pm

I found the deck control answer.
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/98/860733?

But, does everything else seem in order? I have gone over this a million times and it seems I am overlooking something. As of now it all works except the HVR which I will get the appropriate cabling this weekend and implement on Tuesday.
I can't than k the cow enough for getting me this far.

I forgot to mention I have house black being fed direct to the decks and the devices seperately.

Return to posts index

Jerry Alto
on May 25, 2007 at 3:44:03 pm

Bill- Looks like your conflict is coming from io/LA and machine control on the same firewire bus. To solve this we installed a separate firewire bus via a PCI card ($20 at the local computer store) for our machine control of the M10U. Hope this helps.

Jerry

G5 Dual 3GB Ram
FCP5 Studio
External 1 TB SATA Raid 0
Kona LH, Second system w AJA ioLA
Sony Z-1

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 25, 2007 at 5:06:56 pm

Hi Bill -
you are facing the usual nightmare with the HVRM-10U that everyone else faces. If this was now, you would simply buy the Sony HVR-1500, and not deal with any of this, but you have the 10U.

You own the AJA HD10AVA, which is the CORRECT BOX for this job. You take the CAV output of the 10U, set it for HD output, get the Y Pb Pr output and the audio into the AJA HD10AVA, and send this into your Kona 3. This WORKS. You own everything to do it.

As for VTR control, if you have the I/O LA, you have a firewire conflict, and you were just given the suggestion about another FW card for this. In my opinion, you will HATE the VTR control, even when you get it working, and many people continue to just digitize everything in, and deal with it later. I can suggest an Addenda LANC to RS422 adaptor, but this will only do play/stop/ff/rew, and will never cue your deck correctly. If you want the model #, let me know.

If you do this every day, day in and day out, you will ultimately want to think about getting the Sony HVR-1500 (easy for me to say, as it's not my money).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Bill
by
on May 26, 2007 at 1:11:44 am

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the input. I tried to do as much research before letting loose with the purchases. We use so many different devices for acquisition we had to budget according to priority and quality. Of coarse the HVR is from an initial package deal that was purchased when the Z1 took the market by storm a few years ago. So, we are stuck with it for awile. It is in the facilities production workflow now as one of the main forms of material that is shot. Clients still send in spots on SP and everything is mastered back to SP for playback in the arena. I am a bit hesitant with the whole DV/HDV workflow because of the inconsistancy in timecode and tracking. As most in this business are also, organization is an obsession for me. It is very hard to load in footage knowing your notes are the only thing that will save you later. If your array goes down you cannot simply load in the tape, go have a fancy 5 dollar latte come back and everything is happy go lucky. (*$'s should be considered an illegal substance. the addiciton factor is dangerous)

Once FCS2 is tested I might consider going back to the old school with SD DVCAM footage by just loading it in DV NTSC directly through the PCIe firewire card since it will slide right into the 8bit sequence w/out rendering. Still havign the option to go in with the HDV via KONA3 if needed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]