FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona 2 analog out black levels

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jjbriquet
Kona 2 analog out black levels
on May 22, 2007 at 5:13:01 am

Hi

I have a Kona 2 and edit digital orignated video 99% of the time. Most is DV originated with some HDV (from Sony cam so far) and some DVC Pro HD from HVX 200.
My output masters are all digital: DIgiBeta, DVCam and DVD. So for now I am only talking SD.
Unfortunately I only have analog inputs in my NTSC monitor with component, s-video and composite.
I use component connection for better signal clarity. I changed the Set Up setting in tyhe AJA control panel to 0 and 7 IRE and there was no difference when my analog output was set to Component SMPTE. But if I monitor through composite, the Different Set Up have an effect.
My primary concern is what setting should I use, I think it should be Component SMPTE with set Up left at 7 IRE (even if picture looks the same as 0 IRE) but I want to use cheap used composite hardware scopes to monitor my signal .I know it is not optimm but this is what I can afford for my home setup, digital formats monitor through analog equipment. If I could afford an SDI monitor and scopes, I would not be asking these questions.

I search the forum and came up with two post that were kind of related.

The first one just pointed to a Ken Stone page that I read before but added more confusion (due to my briain overloading with info, damn SMPTE standards....)
http://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bin/new_read_thread.cgi?forumid=98&postid...
My situation is really similar to this person' s dilema.

And the 2nd helped me understand better what is going on but I could not make up mind on a definite answer.

http://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bin/new_read_post.cgi?forumid=98&postid=8...

Any shed of light appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
JJ

PS: sorry for the noob questions, how can I get affordable bnc cables, 1/4" cables? I live near LA so I think that should be prety easy to get locally or are online resources better.

Return to posts index

jjbriquet
Re: Kona 2 analog out black levels
on May 22, 2007 at 10:45:40 pm

I wish I could afford a monitor with SDI input so I would not have to ask thesr newbie questions. I did searches in the forum and found a similar question and the answer was, just read the ken stone page and make up your mind. I know this whole digital analog differences in black level made a lot of mess when people started mixing the two world.

Kona support told me to leave set up to 7.5 IRE, which makes sense since we are in the US.

So even if all my footage is of digital origin and destined to a digital output, can I monitor via composite with 7.5 IRE set up to do color correction and get accurate colors representing what will be on my Digi Beat master.

Thanks
JJ

Return to posts index

jjbriquet
Got an answer
on May 23, 2007 at 6:08:36 pm

Just talk to Kona Tech Support, great people over there.
Basically got confirmation that my original gut feeling was right.
Monitor via component SMPTE on an analog monitor if working from Digital Video and ouputing to digital video.

JJ

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]