FORUMS: list search recent posts

KONA 3 will not playback on CRT Monitor

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ed Bishop
KONA 3 will not playback on CRT Monitor
on May 16, 2007 at 4:10:06 pm

Hi

I am having problems with playback of clips and sequences in a DVCPRO HD 720p50 project. When I view clips on a JVC CRT monitor, via SDI out, using the 625i 25 down conversion feature in the KONA control panel, I only get a still frame until I stop playback at which point the frame updates to the current frame. Strangely, if I drag the playhead through the clip I can see the clip playing fine.

I have made sure that 'External Video' setting in FCP is set to all 'All Frames'.
I've made sure that the Video Playback option is set to AJA Kona 720p 50 8 bit (1280X720).
The Kona 3 Control Panel has been set up the recognise the 720p50 frame setting and down convert to 625i25(PAL) for output to the SD CRT monitor.

The only time I get proper playback on the monitor is when I set FCP video playback to AJA Kona 720p25 8 Bit DVCProHD(1280x720). However I get an awful strobe effect on the monitor.

I'm wondering whether the KONA presets even support this type of project/clip as nowhere can I find a preset that recognises my frame size - 960x720. The footage was shot on the Panasonic HVX200.

Any help would be really appreciated as I've spent many hours trying to find the right settings
Thanks

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: KONA 3 will not playback on CRT Monitor
on May 17, 2007 at 1:35:55 am

Ed - your capture compression setting, and your sequence setting do not match, that is all that is wrong.
When you setup a session, to avoid this aggrivation, ALWAYS USE THE EASY SETUPS, and then open up a new sequence. Now, your capture settings and sequence settings will match (the compression will match), and you will not get the "still frames" that you are getting now.

Others will chime in here, to say "change this and change that" to make your project right now play - but I am not in front a of a MAC, and I don't recall the exact menu's by heart.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Ed Bishop
Re: KONA 3 will not playback on CRT Monitor
on May 17, 2007 at 8:10:58 am

Hi Bob

Just got a call from AJA and they tell me that DVCPro HD 720p50 is not a supported format in FCP projects with a 25fps time base.

Not sure whether I've got this right but because my editing time base is 25fps I can't playback 50fps Varicam footage.

The rather convoluted work around is to go to the Effects Handling Tab in System Settings, turn off FCP as effects handler for Uncompressed 8bit and then do all your editing in 8 bit sequences. Of course everything needs rendering so its totally impractical.

CAn this be true? If it is I hope that its an issue resolved in FCP 6

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post and hope my info helps you

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]