Connectivity question....

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim
Connectivity question....
by
on May 16, 2007 at 3:07:32 pm

Hey all,

I have the AJA Kona 2 with Kbox setup and I just bought a Sanyo HD Plasma for my edit suite. I know...probably not the best choice but I got it for less than a Grand on a closeout.

Here is the connectivity question...I would like to be able to monitor my edit and playback in the best possible image/look. I am guessing of the choices on this Plasma...the HDMI would be the best picture.

However, the Kbox only offers SDI or Component out. I can use the Component out of the Kbox...but it has to go to the Component RCA's on the back of the Plasma and from what I understand there is some image quality lose with the "stacking" of connectors ie. going from the bnc and adapting to the RCA then plugging in to the Plasma.

Is there a reasonably priced way to go from the Kbox SDI into the RCA component or HDMI inputs on the Plasma...or from the Kbox components to either the HDMI or component in's on the Plasma.

Just looking for suggestions on getting the best picture with my Kona2 -Kbox setup. I have been dealing with just downconverting to my little Sony monitor...which looks great, but I wanted a way to see my products in true HD on a good monitor.

Or am I just splitting hairs here and being too picky?

Thanks all,

Tim Baker
Chameleon Mobile Video Productions
(239)849-3295
"It is not the light at the end of the tunnel that we should seek...it is the courage to take the next step in the dark that we must find."

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: Connectivity question....
on May 16, 2007 at 9:57:22 pm

[Tim] "Or am I just splitting hairs here and being too picky?"

Well, when you hook it up how does it look?

Return to posts index

Tim Baker
on May 16, 2007 at 10:49:49 pm

It looks OK...with the component RCA's from the Kbox BNC components, but I really think it can look better.

I did one test where I hooked my JVC HD100 straight into the Plasma via the RCA component outs from the camera and it looked phenomenal...somewhat better than the Kbox component outs.

Ahhhh....whats a boy to do?

Thanks,

Tim Baker

(239)849-3295

"It is not the light at the end of the tunnel that we should seek...it is the courage to take the next step in the dark that we must find."

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 17, 2007 at 1:38:53 am

it's not going to look better. "stacking" connectors does not decrease the image quality. you have an inexpensive SANYO screen, and the analog HD component output of the K3 box is perfect to feed this, with your cheap cables and some BNC to RCA adaptors. We could talk about better quality cables, etc. but it's not going to help you with the monitor that you have. It looks ok, right? Be happy. You aint' gonna get a super duper image, with some other converter box, and this monitor.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on May 17, 2007 at 1:43:35 am

And tim I also wonder what image you are looking at out of FCP. How is that image compressed? If you hook your camera up straight to the monitor, you are essentially looking at an image before it hits hdv compression (I think you are using an hdv camera, but not sure). If you have captured some footage to hdv in FCP and are looking at that, the 'damage has been done' so to speak.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Tim Baker
on May 17, 2007 at 11:50:09 am

Ahhhh...my fears are confirmed.

Thanks guys...I figured as much, but one can always hope.

Like I said...it does look OK...especially for me and an occasional client monitor.

I was just sick of seeing my really nice footage down-converted to my little Sony SD monitor...which looked good...just not real impressive.

Love the Cow.

Thanks all,

Tim Baker

(239)849-3295

Return to posts index

Tim Baker
Hey Bob...
on May 17, 2007 at 12:04:35 pm

Can you make some suggestions for a better monitor to use? There are so many out there...I saw this one on sale and it had great reviews on-line.

I can still return it...any suggestions and price ranges of what you would suggest? Not a very big budget for this...or did I get a decent monitor for my budget of around $1000 to $1500?

Also, is there a board set for my Sony PVM 14L2 that would make it multi-format for the same price range...I could be happy with that, as well?

I am using good quality cables...most of my connectors are Canare.

Thanks,

Tim Baker

(239)849-3295

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Hey Bob...
on May 18, 2007 at 10:31:03 pm

Tim - replies below, and don't worry, I will be as nasty as possible, just for you !

Can you make some suggestions for a better monitor to use? There are so many out there...I saw this one on sale and it had great reviews on-line.

REPLY - no Tim, I can't recommend a better monitor for you. You don't want to spend $4000 for a professional Panasonic or JVC or Sony broadcast LCD, so I am not going to sit here and play games like "hey, there is this Samsung I saw at Best Buy that was really great". This is like someone saying "how can I compete with a Sony CineAlta, or Panasonic Varicam, but I only have $3000 for a camera". Just stop it.

I can still return it...any suggestions and price ranges of what you would suggest? Not a very big budget for this...or did I get a decent monitor for my budget of around $1000 to $1500?

REPLY - for HD ONLY, I would get the Dell 2407WFP, and use the Y Pb Pr inputs on the side. $700, and it looks just fine. If you don't mind a delay in your audio, the Panasonic 50" Plasma TH509UK is about $1799 at B+H Photo. Walter uses this, and so do lots of my clients.

Also, is there a board set for my Sony PVM 14L2 that would make it multi-format for the same price range...I could be happy with that, as well?

REPLY - no, the PVM14L2 was the wrong choice the day you bought it. You should have purchased the PVM-14L5/1 when you had the chance, but you didnt' want to spend the money at the time. Now it's too late.

I am using good quality cables...most of my connectors are Canare.
REPLY - that's good - Canare makes very nice stuff.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]