FORUMS: list search recent posts

WHEE! I'm digitizing - now what's wrong with my timecode?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Budrick21
WHEE! I'm digitizing - now what's wrong with my timecode?
on May 12, 2007 at 8:57:37 pm

So I'm digitizing BetaSP material to go into my DVCPRO HD 720 24p documentary and it seems to be going OK, BUT

The tapes are all broadcast masters, with drop-frame timecode. Whenever I enter ins and outs into the capture window, it's always a little, and gets worse as I get into the later parts of the tape.

It appears that somewhere inside the system DF-NDF conversion is taking place, but I can't think of any controls that are available in either the KONA or the Final Cut set up that would either fix it, or screw it up.

Does anybody know anything about this?

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: WHEE! I'm digitizing - now what's wrong with my timecode?
on May 12, 2007 at 10:38:42 pm

[Budrick21] "Whenever I enter ins and outs into the capture window, it's always a little, and gets worse as I get into the later parts of the tape."

What do you mean by this...it's always a little....?

Return to posts index

Budrick21
on May 13, 2007 at 9:29:14 pm

I meant to say a little off. As Walter says below, in this configuration FCP knows only non-drop timecode. It's capturing the right stuff, but converting the timecode. An annoyance, really.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 13, 2007 at 1:36:38 am

[Budrick21] "It appears that somewhere inside the system DF-NDF conversion is taking place, but I can't think of any controls that are available in either the KONA or the Final Cut set up that would either fix it, or screw it up."

Final Cut Pro cannot capture 720p anything other than NDF. So your timecodes are going to become NDF as they are captured.

Supposedly this will change with FCP 6, though I've been told this will NOT happen upon release. It will happen some where later as an update. Why, I don't know, but this is what i was told at NAB.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Broadcast and independent productions.

All Things Apple Podcast! http://cowcast.creativecow.net/all_things_apple/index.html

Read my blog! http://blogs.creativecow.net/WalterBiscardi

Return to posts index

Budrick21
on May 13, 2007 at 9:30:00 pm

Thanks, Walter. I'll live with it. It's mostly an annoyance at this point.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on May 14, 2007 at 4:32:09 pm

Other people have responded but understand the basis

23.98 is and alwaysnon-drop, without regard to format, film had no need for drop frame that is an NTSC issue. This time base in all formats is specified as NON DROP by SMPTE.

Drop frame is a dead legacy in the digital age, there is no need to worry about bleed on audio into video when they are delivered in discreet signals.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]