FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Level Problem AJA <-> FCP

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benjamin
Audio Level Problem AJA <-> FCP
on May 9, 2007 at 9:58:29 am

Hello all.

I have a problem with digitzing & mastering Audio, my audio levels are not the same when i master, as the digidized clip was.

In our facility we are working with an 1kHz -9dB Level for Sinus Tone... my System is a G5 Quad Core with a AJA Kona LHe Card and an Apple Raid System.

When i was digitizing the Audio everything seemed to be fine, but when i was playing my Test Clip the levels were -12dB instead of -9 dB.
Or they are -6dB, when i setup Analog Audio Monitor Levels to +24 dBu FSD in the Kona Setup

When i then edit the clip to Tape, the Levels are not longer -9dB, they are -15dB

Has somebody experienced a similar problem, or has an idea how to solve this?

Thanks

Benjamin

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Audio Level Problem AJA <-> FCP
on May 9, 2007 at 2:43:56 pm

YOU WRITE -
I have a problem with digitzing & mastering Audio, my audio levels are not the same when i master, as the digidized clip was.

In our facility we are working with an 1kHz -9dB Level for Sinus Tone... my System is a G5 Quad Core with a AJA Kona LHe Card and an Apple Raid System.

REPLY - your house standard is -9dBu, based on a SINE wave tone?
What audio meter are you looking at to see this ? (you must be in Europe).

When i was digitizing the Audio everything seemed to be fine, but when i was playing my Test Clip the levels were -12dB instead of -9 dB.

REPLY - what are you relying on to monitor your audio levels ? I hope not the silly meters in the FCP software ? You state that when you digitize, and play back, there is a 3dB difference between record level and playback - correct ?

Or they are -6dB, when i setup Analog Audio Monitor Levels to +24 dBu FSD in the Kona Setup

When i then edit the clip to Tape, the Levels are not longer -9dB, they are -15dB

REPLY - I would certainly like you to check your VTR, as VTR's and their meters, have calibration as well. This is how to do this. Simply bring up TONE in FCP, let the AJA go into the VTR in E/E and set your RECORD LEVEL on your VTR to zero VU (or -20 on a Sony digital VTR). OK, now pop in a junk tape, and RECORD THIS SIGNAL TO TAPE (like an edit to tape). Now, play back the tape - does it play back at zero (or -20) - is your VTR calibration ok ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]