FORUMS: list search recent posts

Downconvert Issues with Ghosted Text

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Wild
Downconvert Issues with Ghosted Text
on May 4, 2007 at 9:09:40 pm

Has anyone else had any problems with white text on a background being ghosted? It's driving us crazy. Maybe this post is late, as we have not yet downloaded the drivers released TODAY. I'm hoping that fixes it.

Just to be clear, it's ghosting on normal Helvetica text out of Boris when put on a colored background (even at 50% opacity). The ghosting is above and below the text. When viewed in HD, it's perfect. When viewed via component out of the LHe breakout box downconverted, it ghosts on both our plasma and our Sony CRT.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Kevin

Return to posts index

Kevin Wild
Re: Downconvert Issues with Ghosted Text
on May 4, 2007 at 9:57:10 pm

By the way, new drivers didn't help. Just tried it.

Kevin

Return to posts index

Harley Michailuck
on May 4, 2007 at 10:06:32 pm

[Kevin Wild] "he ghosting is above and below the text. When viewed in HD, it's perfect. When viewed via component out of the LHe breakout box downconverted, it ghosts on both our plasma and our Sony CRT."

I've noticed this on SD to SD convert when trying to output a letterbox SD version from an anamorphic SD timeline. Have questioned tech support on it but have not had a definitive answer.

Best,
Harley

Harley Michailuck
Brass Orchid Post fx
Saskatoon, SK Canada

http://www.brassorchid.com

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on May 6, 2007 at 5:39:31 pm

[Kevin Wild] "Just to be clear, it's ghosting on normal Helvetica text out of Boris when put on a colored background (even at 50% opacity). The ghosting is above and below the text."

did this by chance come from a Progressive timeline ?

progressive content will "ghost" across fields when converting to SD ( interlaced)

changing the location of the text can smooth some of this.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

Kevin Wild
on May 6, 2007 at 6:06:13 pm

No, it was actually just text on a Livetype background from an HD sequence, played back via the Kona realtime downconvert, center crop function to our monitors (both plasma and CRT showed the ghosting).

It was more than a few lines...it's pretty "ghosted/transparent" but is pretty large.

Any thoughts? Can anyone try to replicate it? I'm wondering if it's an LHe/card issue.

Thanks.

Kevin

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on May 8, 2007 at 3:55:04 am

Have you tried laying to tape to see if the problem is still there?

Return to posts index

Kevin Wild
on May 8, 2007 at 4:22:34 am

Yes, but that is taking the same output of our component output of the Kona LHe. I have to think that it's a hardware/downconvert problem. I'm just wondering if others have this problem or should I look into getting my card/breakout box repaired.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on May 8, 2007 at 4:33:56 am

Any way you can post a still? I sometimes see some 'artifacts' that get cleaned up when laying to tape.

Return to posts index

Kevin Wild
on May 8, 2007 at 4:47:21 am

Not sure. Since it's only on the CRT and Plasma (component outs), I can't grab it. I may try to take a digital still of it. Thanks for hanging and trying to figure this one out.

Return to posts index

Harley Michailuck
on May 8, 2007 at 1:59:51 pm

[Kevin Wild] "I'm just wondering if others have this problem or should I look into getting my card/breakout box repaired."

Others, meaning myself, are having the same problem with ghosting type on downconvert... or in my case, SD anamorphic to SD letterbox. See post above.

Example:

http://www.brassorchid.com/images/Postfx_FCP_Still.pct
(is a still from the FCP anamorphic timeline)

http://www.brassorchid.com/images/Postfx-SD-SD_Test.pct
(is a screen capture of the same frame converted to letterbox thru SD to SD)

Also note how the whole image is not as sharp

Best,
Harley

Harley Michailuck
Brass Orchid Post fx
Saskatoon, SK Canada

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on May 8, 2007 at 4:46:06 pm

I have not had great luck with the Sd to SD conversion either. it was a feature that was added after a lot of users asked for it and was never really designed for the card. As far as the text, maybe I am wrong, but it appears that your text in the original anamorphic clip is designed at a normal (non anamorphic) aspect ratio, and then when you do the letterbox squish it mucks up the aspect ratio of the text. Did you design the text in an anamorphic canvas?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Harley Michailuck
on May 8, 2007 at 6:04:01 pm

[JeremyG] "Did you design the text in an anamorphic canvas?"

Yes, it was designed in an anamorphic canvas in Boris Red 4.1 Static Generator.

Best,
Harley

Harley Michailuck
Brass Orchid Post fx
Saskatoon, SK Canada

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]