FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDV mastering & grading

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
shotcuts
HDV mastering & grading
on May 3, 2007 at 11:05:29 am

I am cutting a feature documentary shot in HDV 1080i with some SD archive for broadcast in Europe (we're based in Barcelona, Spain).

We are at the first stage of the cut which is to lock the picture in SD then recapture as HDV to build the master as uncompressed 10bit 4:2:2 PAL video, add graphics & grade.

Our system is Final Cut Pro 5 on a G5 quad with a Sony HVR-M25E deck & Lacie d2 external drives.

I would appreciate any advice on system configuration for the recapture & workflow - I have looked at many options including the AJA Io HD & Blackmagic Multibridge Pro with the HD-Connect MI for fast workflow & accurate color rendition with HD-SD realtime conversion. Your experiences would be invaluable.

Our budget is constrained as always & time is our most valuable, yet limited resource.

Many thanks in advance

Jim

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: HDV mastering & grading
on May 3, 2007 at 1:48:52 pm

[shotcuts] "I would appreciate any advice on system configuration for the recapture & workflow - I have looked at many options including the AJA Io HD"

AJA Io HD will not be available until July so if you need it prior to that it's not an option.

I can't recommend the AJA Kona series enough for true and accurate conversions. Keep in mind that your SD cut will most likely still need some color tweaking no matter which way you go. HD allows you much more latitude in color than SD. So generally you will make a duplicate HD timeline and then probably pull back a little on some colors for the realtime downconvert / master to SD. We run the Kona boards here and the hardware up / cross / and downconverts are outstanding broadcast quality.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

Read my blog! http://blogs.creativecow.net/WalterBiscardi

Return to posts index

Timecode Multimedia
on May 3, 2007 at 3:31:22 pm

Walter,

Would you recommend to do an upconversion from SD to 1080i HD using the Kona 3 card?
We have not done it yet, but have one doc coming with SD and HD footage. All SD needs to
be UC 1080i HD.

We are thinking on sending it to our preferred dub house for upconversion with a Terranex
Alchemist box. Do you think both the Kona and Terranex would have the same exact results?

The client is extremely concerned about getting the best quality upconversion.
Thanks!

Stuart Ferreyra
Timecode Multimedia
President
Santa Monica, CA 90025
http://www.timecodemultimedia.com

Return to posts index

red ochre
on May 3, 2007 at 7:41:20 pm

In addition to pulling back on the colors from HD to SD would you recomend pulling back on some colors more than others? I've read somewhere that HD outputs some colors stonger than others (I can't remeber if its Red, Green or Blue).

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]